Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

U-Haul MC towing experience

Looking to take a few weeks journey soon in 2018 YE32 Sunstar, but want to tow Roadking Motorcycle (900lbs x 8’ long) with us. Have conceded to the fact that investing $$$$ in a bike lift based on my units size/weights is not realistic.

I’ve towed a U-haul motorcycle open trailer (5x9 with ramp) long distances before using my F150, but first time towing anything on Winnie even with rear camera and 5,000 lb hitch rating.

I’d prefer to haul bike in an enclosed 5x10 cargo trailer to protect it from elements better. Not much difference in weight/length/price with exception of a small ramp to add, but additional challenges inside to chock/tie-down not to mention U-haul says they aren’t designed for cycles.

Wondering if anyone has experiences towing a single motorcycle on rented trailers behind motorhome.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We regularly travel with a MC behind our View. When first starting I looked at rentals, then at different owned options. After trying a couple of different rigs, I ended up buying an aluma MC trailer. While it is not enclosed, it does have a stoneguard in the front, is easy to load, and is minimal weight. The towing weight is not critical to the View, but when you have to push a heavy uhaul trailer around your campsite that is a whole new topic!

I found that the cost to rent a trailer for 15-20 days, which is our typical adventure, quickly amounts to nearly what you would spend on the aluma. And if you decide to never tow again after your trip, the alumas hold their value well. Net-net, you could sell the aluma and breakeven with the cost of a long term rental.

With regard to the bike . . . I alternate between towing an Indian and a Goldwing, so your bike would certainly be similar. You will never know it is behind you.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

towed my Ultra behind my Journey from Texas back to Indiana one time. Easy to load, unload and towed great. We used one of the open U-haul motorcycle trailers and they are set up pretty decent to haul on. Did a quick wash on the bike once back home to get the dust off from the road and it was good to go. Figure $250 - $300 for a couple weeks of using the trailer ....not bad at all.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Good info. I looked at aluma trailer site and found a dealer about 35 miles away to check out. You raised points I didn’t consider especially weight if I need to shift trailer around by hand at campsites. Thanks for the input and safe journeys.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Phil. The Harley’s been a road companion to my wife and I as much as our German Shepherd so it just feels right to tow it somehow until I move up to a diesel pusher that can be fitted with a lift. The main thing I have to remember whichever trailer I try, is just have fun wherever we go. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just never trusted a lift ....tried one and just not for me. I towed an enclosed trailer for several years and liked that except when we wanted to also bring our car the wife would have to follow along in it. We decided to purchase a tandem tow dolly, bike on the platform and car on the dolly. Yes it is a bit heavy to move around at the campsite but with the car removed you can back it up like a conventional trailer into a site. Now we can travel together and full-time with all our toys ....just waiting for retirement (again!) to go back to full-time RVing. Here is a link to their website, New are $$$ but used can be found . We got our 2014 unit for less than 1/2 of a new unit. Tandem Tow Dollies for RV?s | Transport your vehicle & motorcycles or Golf cart.
workinrvers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing