Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Towing with a Land Rover

Hi everyone! Newbie here...as you'll discover quickly...

After about a year-long research project narrowing down some of our options for rv-ing and what that might entail for a couple (45 and 32) who are trying to get out of the office more and elongate our weekends, we have decided we'd like to dip our toes in the water and try out a towable, and it seems Winnebago is the top contender for build-quality and resale value. So with that being said, I'll get right to it.

I've read many threads here and other places about matching up a TV to the trailer. We're looking seriously at the 2201series as a possibility for our trips. I just need feedback from you guys on if this is safely towable with our Land Rover LR4. The numbers seem ok, but I don't have the road towing experience to know if I'm going to regret this and wish we went with a 2106/8.

Some specs on the TV
Tow capacity: 7716
Tongue weight capacity: 770
Wheelbase: 113.6"
Payload: 1440
Vehicle width: 74" (I feel this is relevant, but I may be wrong)

Factory hitch and tow package already on the vehicle and WD is not recommended due to overtaxing the compressor on the airbag suspension system, so I'll let the vehicle do whatever voodoo it does in that regard based on previous research.

I'm not sure if sway control can be used because I'm ignorant to how that attaches and works.

I realize a truck is normally preferred for towing but we do love our Rovers and if this is a suitable proposition for us, we'd like to try it because they are a pleasure to drive without a trailer.

2201DS specs:
Dry weight: 4900 (I know this is probably fiction)
GVWR: 7000
Tongue Weight: 575

So with the "typical" load of stuff that would likely get us to 6000# real weight, am I too close to the limits for safely transporting this rig over hill and dale?

Any advice is appreciated and I know this question comes up quite a bit with different vehicles. I'm just having a hard time finding people who tow travel trailers with this vehicle that seems well suited for this specific application.

Thanks!

Side question: do any of you know if the 2201 series will fit in national park sites that (from what I've read) are typically shorter and have length restrictions?
Neildawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
2020 1706FB Owner

I've always been told to leave some margin in the tow capacity so If you have a dry weight of 5,000 lbs you're probably towing 6,000 when all set. That gives you a 1,700 more capacity so that is plenty. However it sounds like your Rover has the same recommendation as many Honda vehicles which is no weight distributing hitch. This means that the weight is carried on the hitch which will really push down the rear end and more importantly, lift up the front. That is a recipe for sway and poor control. I would rather have less capacity but still be able to use a weight distributing hitch. Note that the extra weight you carry is often on the hitch such as propane and batteries. The air suspension should compensate for that to a certain extent but I don't have any experience with it.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing