Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing with 2017 grand cherokee

We willpickup our new2106fbs this week. Does anyone have experience towing with grand cherokee auto tranny. I hear comments about manual shifting or a tow mode etc. the manual is worthless. We are totally ignorant as to the proper use of our transmission while towing. Thanks, willie
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #2

No experience with a Jeep but you’ll love the 2106FBS! A little light on fresh water (Gerry can or two?) but otherwise great. If it has a “tow haul” mode use it whenever pulling.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Is your Jeep a 6 cyl? Does it have the tow package?
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I towed with a ‘13 GC Hemi. Tow mode locked out the eco mode and should be used.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Make sure your WDH is setup well and take it easy on the cargo. If the dealer didn’t install a break controller, you can get a harness and it is pretty easy. The connector should be up in the corner by the emergency brake.

If the water tank is near the front, don’t plan to haul a lot of water. The GC will run out of payload pretty quickly and the hitch weight will be a concern.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #6

Birchy, a brake controller is essential...not an option IMO.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
Birchy, a brake controller is essential...not an option IMO.
I didn’t say it was optional. Only that it is easy to install if the dealer isn’t planning to.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

V6 with towpackage
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I don't know specifics on your Grand Cherokee, but should be similar to my 2017 Cherokee Trail Hawk. First, you have to have the transmission with the 'neutral' mode, an 'Active Drive II', not all have it. You have to go through a bit of a little checklist to select the neutral for the transfer case, that will let all 4 wheels rotate freely.

There are some that have had wobble issues with Grand Cherokee's, and there is a wiring harness from Jeep that should keep the electronic steering activated while towing, and they recommend some sort of trickle charger to keep the battery charged while towing. (your RV towing socket, will have a hot lead available to do this).

After towing a Wrangler for 7 years, we have been towing our Cherokee since we got it new last October, and have no issues at all, no special wiring harness, using a Blue Ox tow bar, and a Brake Buddy auxiliary braking unit. (usually tow one day then drive the jeep, but have done three days before driving jeep too, battery has been fine)

One thing to remember, flat towing a car doesn't add any weight to the hitch that would affect axle loading, but you do need to account for the extra weight you are dragging behind for climbing hills and braking distance. An auxiliary braking unit is required by most State Highway laws considering the weight of your vehicle.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #10

“One thing to remember, flat towing a car doesn't add any weight to the hitch that would affect axle loading, but you do need to account for the extra weight you are dragging behind for climbing hills and braking distance.L

Good point, Journey.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2017 Cherokee overland and have it set up to flat tow. We had the steering harness installed to prevent wobble due to electronic power steering. With that you should install a trickle charger. We also installed the road master tow plates with a night hawk. Also installed an SMI duo brake control on the Jeep to activate brakes. After 13k miles. All is going well. As a mod to the harness we bypass the fuse with a switch inside the Jeep. So we don’t have to open the hood. Just plug in, set transmission and flip three switches hook up and tow.
taylordr61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel which was bought new with the intention of buying a trailer. After much looking, three years later we finally took delivery of our 2018 Micro Minnie 2108DS from Carefree RV, Edmonton, Alberta and towed it the 860km to our home BC over the Rockies. I had a brake controller fitted to the Jeep and that worked perfectly with a little adjustment. I would say the consumption varied between 11-18L/100km (21-13mpg). This weekend I will try its maiden trip. My diesel is used daily and regularly delivers 6.8L/100km (34.6mpg) on a trip without the trailer
edbell222 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing