Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Towing Question

The owners manual for my 2000 Horizon states the hitch is rated for 5000 lbs. I have been towing a GMC Acadia which is just under 5000 lbs. Now I am ready to trade the Acadia (glad to be rid of it, but that's another story) and have considered a 4 wheel drive truck or a Yukon, but everything seems to be over 5000 lbs. What have others done and is the 5000 lb rating normal for motor homes.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The towing weight rating is usually part of the overall package, engine size, trans capacity, GVW (or GCVW) etc. Usually you cannot just upsize the hitch. At least with diesel pushers, it seems like once you get above the smaller motored coaches like mine (Cummins 6.7 - 360 hp) the towing rating jumps to 10K pounds. The higher end ones are at 15K.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Was hoping I could just upgrade the hitch.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
NO LEGAL but it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
Was hoping I could just upgrade the hitch.

I had the same delima. my 99 Chieftain DP only had that same crappy hitch which Winnebago no longer uses. I went to a trailer shop (like in tractor trailer) and they beefed up that 5000K hitch for me because I wanted to toe my new 24 foot box with old antique jaguar behind.

when they go done with welding up an extra 2" X 4" tube across the frame and remanufactured the receiver to be welded from the cross piece tothe rear engine mount brace they said I could tow a tank.

surely I am towing over limit but never knew the trailer was even attached all the way from NJ to florida and back to NJ. even at speeds of 70 Plus.

my hefty 10000 hitch is connect to my reese equalizer.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
new label

I also forgot to tell that I made a new custom label for the hitch.
This is available full size with a PM.
don't forget that I am using equalizer package too

It only fails if someone get caught.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reese new for web.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	51143  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It gets worse...

First, the hitch rating is 5,000 pounds if it is a STRAIGHT TOW, if you have to use a drop/rise hitch adapter or an extension adapter the rating goes down like a rock in freefall.

Second that is just one of the max tow ratings on your RV. the other one is the Maximum Combined Gross Vehicle Weight rating of the motor home less the actuall scaled weight of the motor home (4,000 for me, different for you).

There are some Jeeps in the 3500 range as I recall.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This is great information. I really like the F150 extended cab. I understand I would need the 4 wheel drive in order to tow. This truck would put me in the 5500 pound range. I would not mind a Jeep, but don't think I would enjoy it as my full time car for work.

300 HP Cat Diesel
Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It only fails if someone get caught.
The only sticker they will look at. Is the one besides the drivers wall.
They will look for the difference between the GVWR & GCWR
What is yours?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaDawgFan View Post
This is great information. I really like the F150 extended cab. I understand I would need the 4 wheel drive in order to tow. This truck would put me in the 5500 pound range. I would not mind a Jeep, but don't think I would enjoy it as my full time car for work.
The modern Jeep AKA the "JK" is the 2007 and up Wrangler and is 7 inches wider than the previous model. It about the same weight due to material and design changes. They are very civil in daily usage.The JK can be had with power windows and many other options. They are the ONLY true off road capable convertible you can get I believe.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The only sticker they will look at. Is the one besides the drivers wall.
They will look for the difference between the GVWR & GCWR
What is yours?
My "RV" only have a GVWR 32,700 . nothing else.

And I built my hitch myself No decals.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I would scale my MH and see what the difference is between that and the GCVW listed. If there is room I think you could upgrade the hitch and be okay, if there is no room, you are probably screwed...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
It gets worse...

First, the hitch rating is 5,000 pounds if it is a STRAIGHT TOW, if you have to use a drop/rise hitch adapter or an extension adapter the rating goes down like a rock in freefall.

Second that is just one of the max tow ratings on your RV. the other one is the Maximum Combined Gross Vehicle Weight rating of the motor home less the actuall scaled weight of the motor home (4,000 for me, different for you).

There are some Jeeps in the 3500 range as I recall.
Exactly right! What the hitch rating is, is secondary to what remaining GCWR is available after deducting coach actual gross weight.
That said, the GCWR, GVW, etc. are mfgrs. recommendations to ensure product longevity, reduced repair frequency, fuel mileage expectations, tire wear, adequate braking ability, etc. Those have no basis in law.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
...the GCWR, GVW, etc. are mfgrs. recommendations to ensure product longevity, reduced repair frequency, fuel mileage expectations, tire wear, adequate braking ability, etc. Those have no basis in law.
True. But do they have a basis in common sense? I have seen a few that get there but groan a lot.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

When Winnebago rates the hitch in the owners manual it takes the vehicle frame and any extensions they make to it into consideration. Unless you have a licensed installer beef it up and certify the new capacity in writing then you are on your own if you load it up and it fails. Remember we live where you can get sued for two million dollars and loose if someone spills a cup of hot coffee on themselves.