Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2007, 03:22 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Mike,
The stacker is steel, but havign said that there isn't a ton of difference in the two weights.
David
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Skip We are looking at a Damon Tuscany with a Freightliner chassis and a C-7 350 HP Cat engine. Again it is hard to determine what the manufacture thinks is a resonable load to pull with this chassis.
Where do you really get the honest scoop?
David
Old 10-12-2007, 04:04 AM   #23
I helped | retired moderator

David, the Damon website lists the 2008 Tuscany as having a towing capacity of 10,000#.

If you are looking at an older model, then the towing capacity may be less, depending on the hitch capacity and Damon's towing capacity rating.

Many folks "beef up" the hitch and/or it's mounting, but who is to say the work is sufficient to handle the additional load?

Regardless of hitch improvements, you cannot physically change Damon's towing capacity.

That is determined by the chassis manufacturer, and Damon, taking into account the chassis strength and all suspension/tire/wheel/brake components.

Also, I don't think there is a ball hitch rated for more than 15,000#.

IMHO, the answer is that many folks just run overloaded and hope for the best.

Just moving the trailer down the road is one thing, but keeping everything under control, especially in an emergency should be the overwhelming issue.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:12 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

I know this is a winny forum but winny does not offer any thing less than 40 foot with a 400 engine in it. Maybe you could look at older shorter Country Coaches or older Alpine Coaches. Both of those companies offer or offered a 34 foot motorhome with a 400 hp engine in it. They should weigh a little less and have a greater gcvwr. You will still have to beef up the hitch.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Dirk,
You are right on all issues. The coach is an 07 so new for the most part. The last trailer which was 26 feet and loaded with all the same stuff except the lift and added height of the stacker was no problem for a 38 foot
Sport Coach 2000 with a 330 Cat engine. I did upgrade the hitch to a 10000 lbs. Too dumb to know the difference.
Thanks for the reply, haven't given up yet.
David
Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Jim the coach we are looking at is a Damon on a Freightliner chassis but still only has the Cat 350 motor.
David
Old 10-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Jim,
If you were going to have a new trailer built what would be the length of the tounge length from the front of the box?
David
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 AM   #28
iRV2 Sponsor

I realize your post has been going on quite a while with the empahisis on "pulling" your load.

The real issue is bringing your proposed load to a stop. You could have oversize frame rails, a massive hitch built and all the extra horsepower money can buy but it won't change the law of inertia.
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

I pull an open trailer with a Jeep Wrangler and 2 ATV's. I figure the jeep is 3000+ lbs, atvs 600+ each and the trailer probably 1500.

This is with 275 hp Cummins. am not concerned about speed. I have brakes on both axles of the trailer.

I was thinking of enclosed stacker on 20', but have never seen many below 25'.

One manufacture told me that would be too much weight, and the next week I see a gas MH pulling a 24' trailer with Jeep in it, as well as a motorcycle, storage shelves, and he said he had no problems.

I am thinking of the Vector 40TD, but length is a concern also.

The other thing make sure the tongue is long enough to clear coach, mine has hit the corner twice.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Randy,
I have rethought the issues. I think I can build a regular trailer with more conventional dimension that the motorhomes I am looking at can pull with in their limits. I am adding a 5 foot tongue and a third axle to assist tongue weight issues. The new trailer is only 2 feet longer than the 20 foot box of the stacker. The stacker trailer builder didn't have any issues with a 20 foot trailer and they build plenty of them.
Thanks
David
Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

So who is going to build the trailer? I have too much tongue weight I am sure. I did put in an extra support under the motorhome.

I think the third axle would help. What kind of springs do they use. I know the ones on my trailer twist and distort when you back up. I don't know what they would look like with a 3rd axle. I think the extra axle would help for braking.

The trailer I have I bought new in 91, and has hauled cars, ultra light airplanes, mowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, tents, and other numerous items.

I wish it was aluminum though. It needs painting again, and a new floor before long I think.

I have rewired it 4 times, painted it 3 times, replaced all the brakes at least once, and bearings a number of times.

It has really done a lot of service for us.

The biggest advantage is if you get in a tight spot you can back out, but with a TOAD you can't.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Randy,
Trailer made either in Aluminum or Steel by Contential Cargo in Georgia. Price was $27K out the door in steel.
David
Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
David, this is something I am considering for my race trailer so I can pull it with my motorhome, www.tufftow.com

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Paul,
Very cool idea. But if you have not been following this discussion, which has had a ton of great information, maybe a re-read would help. From what I gather other than the tongue weight, which for the most part can be balanced in most any trailer, the accual weight of the trailer comes into play. When I started to look at what rigs could tow a stacker, " within the design parameters of the manufacture" only the more expensive coaches could do the job. Most were the ones with tag axles. I know for a fact that there are a lot of guys who tow overloaded and I might be one someday. Another factor is the motor size hence the start of this group, which has not really been fully explained. It again is hard to find an oversized motor in a say 40 foot coach. Manufacturers are trying to keep the cost of the coaches down and big motors cost more money. I have found a few used coaches with big motors but still hard to find.
Thanks for the site do you know the cost?
How do you think this will work on a bottom out situation?

David
Old 10-13-2007, 06:02 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I know you are asking how big of an engine is needed to tow your stacker with the weight you have mentioned but I wanted to show you the tow tuff system.

I've towed 7000lb with a 250hp, 680tq, CAT engine with no problem except for slow speeds up steep or long grades. I have a friend who towed a stacker with a roadster, dragster and golf cart on board with a 30' Safari, 300 hp for several years. He finally upgraded to KW truck conversion so he could have more hp and tq.

I feel that a 400hp engine with 1000+lb of torque will pull your stacker but tonque weight, no matter how you balance your trailer, will still be a major issue. That is why I posted the TowTuff link. I believe the TowTuff sells for about $1800.00, according to their website.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:16 AM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Paul,
According to the manufacture they think the tongue weight will be no greater than 1000 lbs. If you have three axles and all stackers I have seen do, then that should not be any problem.
But I have never had a stacker so don't have any real world experience. This whole discussion came about because we don't have the motor home and were trying to decide what to buy that was within our budget.
Lots of really good information came out.
David
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #37
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">According to the manufacture they think the tongue weight will be no greater than 1000 lbs. If you have three axles and all stackers I have seen do, then that should not be any problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It all depends on how it's loaded. Balancing a load can be difficult depending on what the load is.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM   #38
Winnie-Wise

Dave, not sure if this is off topic but Newell has a very strong, heavy frame, etc.

Check out this little beater, http://www.newellcoach.com/inventory....php?coach=458

I toured the factory, lots of fun.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote