Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Towing a vehicle...

Will my 2011 V10 powered Itasca Winnebago tow a VW Jetta or a Jeep Wrangler and not over tax the RV?
IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When we go south for the winter we tow an enclosed trailer weighing about 10,000 #s using a Trailer Toad. The temps of engine and tranny run just about the same as when not towing per the ScanGage. It will shift down a little sooner due to the load. The V10 is a workhorse as is the tranny. I also tow our Prius on a tow dolly when we go to FL to visit and have no problems there either.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Will my 2011 V10 powered Itasca Winnebago tow a VW Jetta or a Jeep Wrangler and not over tax the RV?
FLIGHTSIMMER: To correctly answer your questions, we will need to know the loaded weight of your coach, its GVWR & GCVWR, and the weight of whatever you want to tow. You should also consider adding a supplemental braking system to anything over 1000 pounds, some states actually require them.

goldwingerx2: I'm sure you meant it as a "figure of speach", but a V-10 has never been available in a Workhorse chassis Ed
Old 07-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I was guessing since he said V10 that it was a F53 not a Workhorse. What I meant is it will pull a load like a team of Clydesdales.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
I was guessing since he said V10 that it was a F53 not a Workhorse.......
goldwingerx2: NO problem, I was just "grinning" at ya! Every time I try to help somebody, I learn something. In this case, the OP apparently has an F350 or F450 based Class C. I learned this because I did not know what an Itasca "SILVER" was, and went to the website to see. Apparently these coaches have a GCVWR of 20,000, so he just "might" be able to tow one of his choices, depending on how heavy his coach is.

It would be helpful if more of our members added the rig info as their signature, like you and I have done. Ed
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
goldwingerx2: NO problem, I was just "grinning" at ya! Every time I try to help somebody, I learn something. In this case, the OP apparently has an F350 or F450 based Class C. I learned this because I did not know what an Itasca "SILVER" was, and went to the website to see. Apparently these coaches have a GCVWR of 20,000, so he just "might" be able to tow one of his choices, depending on how heavy his coach is.

It would be helpful if more of our members added the rig info as their signature, like you and I have done. Ed
NO offense taken when I wrote workhorse I was not thinking of the chassis only the power of the Ford setup. We all learn everyday and I have learned more than once today. I guess this goes to show how difficult the English language is. Yes, more info in the signature is always helpful.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

Hey goldwinger2,
Just browsing and saw the goldwing in your name.
We just bought a 2011 Winne Tour 42QD. I also recently bought a 08 gold wing trike and a Chevy silverado with a hydraulic lift to carry the bike. Makes a nice rig for traveling with my toys. Only thing is the trike is in the weather, but I also bought a cover from gezagear made for towing.

We will be heading to Hendersonville, NC in a couple of weeks for a couple of months.

Is there a goldwing/RV forum or club that you know of?

bob
bobslink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

bobslink--I want to personally thank you for doing everything you can to single handedly end this recession-------
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I might have to go with a 2 door wrangle as the 4 door is 5500lbs
Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I might have to go with a 2 door wrangle as the 4 door is 5500lbs
I could be wrong but I thought the 4 door Jeeps we;re about 4500 lbs. when we we're checking them out.

Ended up with a Liberty that's about 4300 lbs.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
I could be wrong but I thought the 4 door Jeeps we;re about 4500 lbs. when we we're checking them out.

Ended up with a Liberty that's about 4300 lbs.

Trap
I test drove a 4 door Wrangler and it said 5500LBS, I was surprised it weighed so much.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I test drove a 4 door Wrangler and it said 5500LBS, I was surprised it weighed so much.
The curb weight for a 4Dr Wrangler is around 4100 lbs according to Edmunds.com. The Gross Weight is about 5300 lbs
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Flightsimmer,

Before you give up on a 4 door, Be sure you're checking the correct weight for what you need to know.

The build sheet from Jeep on my 2008, 4 door hardtop shows several weights, each of which is important for a different reason.

The curb weight is 4,075 lbs. - this is just the Jeep with the equipment it came with and the fluids (including gas). No cargo, no people, no base plate for towing, etc.

The GVWR weight is 4,990 - this is the max allowable for the curb weight plus the cargo, passengers, base plate, bike rack, roof rack, and anything else you can cram into it or hang off of it.

Somewhere between the curb weight and the GVWR is what we actually haul behind the Vista. But it's far closer to the curb weight than it is to the GVWR since we don't load that much into/on top of/on back of the Wrangler.

If they don't already have it, a dealer or owner can get this info for you.

We love our Wrangler because it suits our style of travel with and without the RV.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridafran View Post
Flightsimmer,

Before you give up on a 4 door, Be sure you're checking the correct weight for what you need to know.

The build sheet from Jeep on my 2008, 4 door hardtop shows several weights, each of which is important for a different reason.

The curb weight is 4,075 lbs. - this is just the Jeep with the equipment it came with and the fluids (including gas). No cargo, no people, no base plate for towing, etc.

The GVWR weight is 4,990 - this is the max allowable for the curb weight plus the cargo, passengers, base plate, bike rack, roof rack, and anything else you can cram into it or hang off of it.

Somewhere between the curb weight and the GVWR is what we actually haul behind the Vista. But it's far closer to the curb weight than it is to the GVWR since we don't load that much into/on top of/on back of the Wrangler.

If they don't already have it, a dealer or owner can get this info for you.

We love our Wrangler because it suits our style of travel with and without the RV.
How is the reliability the Wrangler?, it has been a while since I played with jeeps, it will be a dayly driver and a toad.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I bought mine used and have only had it a year. But I partly based my decision to go with a Wrangler on the experiences of several of my friends with Wranglers. They love them. Said they're easy to maintain, reliable, and in 4 wheel drive will take us just about anywhere we'd want to go. We're not into rock climbing /extreme off-roading but do like to take dirt/gravel roads, ford shallow streams, and drive a beach where it's allowed.

It's my regular car, although I don't drive it every day, I certainly could would no problem. But, it's a Jeep - a real Jeep. Compared to a regular car it's noisier, rides rougher, and the inside of the top can get really hot in the summer. Since it doesn't get that cold here in the winter, I've not experienced the cold that some in the Jeep forums complain about. I've ordered some aftermarket headliner/insulation panels made by Boom Mat which I hope will eliminate that issue. Compared to the Solara convertible I gave up to get the Wrangler, the difference in the noise and top heat isn't as great, but my Solara was a smoother ride.

One thing I learned when I started looking - a Wrangler sure maintains a higher re-sale value than most vehicles do.

I'm happy with mine, but can't say that it's the daily vehicle for everybody. My sister and her husband are currently looking for a 2 door, 4X4 Wrangler to tow behind their 30 foot HR Augusta Class C and it will become their daily driver.

Good luck finding what works best for you.

Fran

Tags
towing