Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I'm in the process of setting up my current toad ('01 Saturn SW2) with amber turn signals towed with my '07 Journey. The old Journey was wired for amber turn signals with red brake lights w/ same on the toad. The new Journey has the conversion box to convert the amber turn/brake lights into red turn/brake lights.

Anyone change their system back to amber turns with red brake lights for a toad equipped with same?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm in the process of setting up my current toad ('01 Saturn SW2) with amber turn signals towed with my '07 Journey. The old Journey was wired for amber turn signals with red brake lights w/ same on the toad. The new Journey has the conversion box to convert the amber turn/brake lights into red turn/brake lights.

Anyone change their system back to amber turns with red brake lights for a toad equipped with same?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a big go arround with the dealer when I bought my Journey. He could not get the ambers working and finally I had the toad (Honda CRV) modified to combined red brake and turn lights.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Don

Same problem with my Adventurer towing a 91 Saturn SL1 (300,000 + miles). My fix may not be legal, but I have used it for a year now. Wire as normal with the stop/turn going to correct side yellow turn lamp. Connect a diode from each coach side turn connection to a common point and wire to the cars brake lamp. Note: I use isolation diodes in each line from the coach, but this may not be needed.

Everything operates normally on the car, but during turns the red brake lamps, on the car only, also flash.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don, go to RV Upgrades and do a search for the Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit #69. Part # BX8869. I think this might be an easy fix for your toad wiring. You just need to have enough room inside the red tail light on the toad to add another bulb and socket.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the replies. I think for now I will move the wires routed to the amber turn signals in the toad to the red left/right stop lights, as this is the output from the Journey electrical connector (no separate amber turn signals).

I rewired the connection wire between MH to toad (7 pin to 6 pin) and now the amber turn signals act like the left/right turn/stop lights should operate. I am sure this is not legal.

Come warmer weather I may do some surgery to figure out if I can restore back to amber turn signals/red brake lights. The surgery will have to be performed on the MH where the relays for the towing lights are located.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I tow a 1998 Honda with amber turn signals. My 2004 Journey came with the standard trailer plug combining the stop and turn lights. I determined that I didn't want that arrangement so I tapped the wires going to the respective lights in the rear cap of the coach and added a second trailer plug wired to my liking. I now have the lights on the tow working exactly like the lights on the coach, including a feedback wire from the center brake light to the coach dash. This way the original wiring of the coach is not disturbed (read resale)and I have the arrangement I want.
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When I had our current toad wired the dealer (hitch installer) wanted to use the red stop lights for turn signals (the car is set up with the amber turn signals). I told him to wire it the way it should be - with amber turns. He said he needed to install a conversion box on the coach (mine didn't need it because the coach was set up correctly)and than a similar converter on the car to put it back to the amber. You should be able to find the conversion box to de-code the car end signal back to amber turns.

03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Towing 02 Saturn L100
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote