Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Wanting to tow a 1998 Jeep Wrangler behind our 2004 31' Class C Winny...E450 Super Duty v-10, gas.

Questions:

Any input is good input and well appreciated.

I am torn between the economic benefits of the simple a frame style tow bar which simply has tow bar brackets that mount to the bumper. Can be had for well under $200. Or going with the frame mounted vehicle specific brackets like from roadmaster for several hundred $$$ more and I would guess piece of mined.

Also, I have searched extensively for any write up or Kit for installing diods to the existing Wrangler tail/brake lights. I would like to use the Wrangler lights as they are so easily accessible.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
abarebonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Wanting to tow a 1998 Jeep Wrangler behind our 2004 31' Class C Winny...E450 Super Duty v-10, gas.

Questions:

Any input is good input and well appreciated.

I am torn between the economic benefits of the simple a frame style tow bar which simply has tow bar brackets that mount to the bumper. Can be had for well under $200. Or going with the frame mounted vehicle specific brackets like from roadmaster for several hundred $$$ more and I would guess piece of mined.

Also, I have searched extensively for any write up or Kit for installing diods to the existing Wrangler tail/brake lights. I would like to use the Wrangler lights as they are so easily accessible.

Thank you all in advance for your input.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Abarebonzi, welcome to the forum.

If you look at the Motorhome Towing Issues Forum, you will find that many, if not all of your questions have already been answered.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:46 AM   #4

Well, I have set-up over 7 pre-2006 Wranglers for flat towing.

No way would I ever consider bolting a tow bar to the factory front bumper either. (Lightweight metal) Not even if you reinforced it. I would only recommend a decent baseplate attached to the frame and a tow bar rated at 5,000 lbs.

Personally I would not go with diodes. Go with the BX 8869 kit... Use the Blue Ox "Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring Kit" with the part number "BX8869" when wiring your Wrangler. The kit is complete, easy to install and comes with excellent instructions. You can view the INSTRUCTIONS here.
By the way, when you remove the Wrangler tail light lenses you will see inside the tail light a removable, aluminum crosspiece which you will drill a 1" in diameter hole in to hold the 3 wire automotive socket that holds the bulb. Use some thought before drilling as you do not want the bulb to close to the tail light lenses, plastic tail light housing or the other bulb in the tail light housing.. There is room, just space all out so there are no heat issues. Best bet is to secure the 3 wire automotive socket with the fold over tabs but also with some GOOP brand flexible epoxy that you can buy at say Home Depot or Lowes. The adhesive will assure that the socket does not vibrate loose and do heat damage, etc.. Goop flexible epoxy is terrific as it withstands vibration when rock hard adhesives will vibrate loose. Once the 3 wire automotive socket is secured in the taillight you just feed out the 3 wires from it through the existing rubber tail light grommet. OH, there is a large hole with grommet on the drivers side firewall that you can fish the wires through. No firewall drilling necessary.
Anyway, the install is easy for most anyone and only simple hand tools and an electric drill with bits will be needed. Adding the bulb is better then using diodes which are very often problematic. I caution you do not try to jury rig a Walmart trailer harness instead of using the BX 8869 kit. Just makes for a jury rig, poorly grounded install..
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I towed a 99 Wrangler for 7 years. I used the Roadmaster brackets...approx. $250 and easy to install and the Roadmaster 5000 tow bar which now retails new for about $500. I never had a problem or issue. For the lights I had the diode package installed so can't give any advice, but before I did that I did cut the tail light wiring inside the Jeep (along the interior wall adjacent to the rear seat drivers side) and put in a connector. When the connector was engaged the lights worked normal when disengaged and the Jeep hooked up to the M/H the lights worked off the M/H circuit. I did the diodes because I was forever forgetting to engage/disengage the connector. I also had the M&G auxillary brake system.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
iRV2 Sponsor

Abarebonzi,

Our customers tell us the benefits of a coach mounted articulating bar far outweigh the cost difference, especially if you are going to use it frequently. We like Blue Ox base plates and tow bars especially on the Jeep products because the base plate is hidden and keeps the front of your tow car clean in appearence. The installation of diodes for lights can DIY but we recommend a professional installation.

Call me with any questions...Thanks,
Redlands Truck and RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I use these from southwest 4x4 for my 2000 .They are frame mounted.My last jeep had roadmaster base plates.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Redlands Truck and RV:
Abarebonzi,

Our customers tell us the benefits of a coach mounted articulating bar far outweigh the cost difference, especially if you are going to use it frequently. We like Blue Ox base plates and tow bars especially on the Jeep products because the base plate is hidden and keeps the front of your tow car clean in appearence. The installation of diodes for lights can DIY but we recommend a professional installation.

Call me with any questions...Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yup!

We tow a Jeep Liberty and I went with the coach-mounted tow bar and Jeep-mounted base plates. It is by far the setup of choice and has proven itself over 30,000 miles of towing.

I installed the entire setup myself in about a day and a half including the braking system (Silent Partner) and diodes for tail lights.

The most difficult part of the tail light install was trying to find a good route to run the wiring. Using diodes was absolutely no big deal as far as installation.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I tow a 98 Wrangler behind my Winnebago. I use Tomkin's tow bar and mounts on the Jeep. I have done this since 98 with no problems. I bought a set of boat trailer lights and removed the bulb and brackets from the trailer lights, trimmed them to fit inside the Jeep tail light housings and then used the boat trailer wiring to run to the front of the Jeep and attach to the motorhome for towing. Again no problems, nothing to change, just unhook from the M/H, remove the tow bar from the Jeep and you are ready to go.

R. Rice

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Good Morning Folks and Thank you all for your responses and input....greatly appreciated.

I agree that the extra money is worth the piece of mind and even Jeep said not to use a bumper mounted tow bracket. Ordered and on its way Roadmaster Tracker Tow Bar ($175.) and Roadmaster Tow Brackets #RM-1424-1 XL ($338.) With shipping and tax since distributer is in my state....$581.96.

Headed down to local trailer parts store today to pick up three Remco Diodes for tail light conversion.