Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #1
Site Team

Towed vehicle bucking

We have had bucking when going over some overpasses that are not aligned with the road well. Not all the time, but on the last trip, two were very noticeable.

I will verify the height of the tow vehicle connector and motorhome hitch tomorrow, but am wondering if there is anything else that could cause this? Something I should inspect?

I don’t drive fast when towing, but the bucking was really noticeable, though I didn’t feel unsafe during it. Besides slowing under 55, is there anything else I can do?

We drive a 2017 Winnebago Adventurer 35P towing a 2014 Honda CRV

Thanks!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A couple of things might help:
- Ensure the bars are free to move in all the right directions.
- Depending on type of bar is the swivel moving as it should - some are designed to be 'tight' but not immobile.
- Are the locks opening easily?
- If you have any sort of centrifugal brake is that engaging at the wrong time?
- If a braking system is in use check for proper operation - consider towing a bit without it engaged.
- Check to see if the receiver on the rig and the toad are tight and centered?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for the tips! I have 2 RoadMaster Quiet Hitch on order and i’ll Let you know if there is improvement after the next trip.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Describe 'bucking' and what that means to you.
Does that mean it's bouncing up and down, or pulling on the coach, or ??
I didn't get what the 'overpass' had to do with it either.

Your toad is free to do it's own thing, it's simply rolling along behind the coach. I have had problems with them pulling back and forth on the coach, like delayed following and so it would pull right or left, which is annoying cuz you have to correct with the steering wheel all the time to re-center the coach going down the road.

Insuring that all pivot points are tight and the tow-bar can't move in the hitch cured that. If you don't have a clamp for your towbar insert get one and try it. Pic below.

I even tried airing up and own on the toad tires so they steer easier or harder. The fix was having everything tight so it can't wander - so it has to follow.

The heaviest is the new Colorado, but now it's dialed in and does fine.

Hitch clamp...there are several but this one is my favorite: Hitch tightener: no wobble, anti rattle stabilizer device for hitch accessories

Cars I've towed:
1. Jeep Wrangler
2. Scion XB - late style
3. Subaru Crosstrek
4. Chevy Colorado 4x4

The lighter the toad the easier it is to tow. When I had low profile tires on the Scion it would pull back and forth a lot - it would get traction with those tires. When I put the stock wheels back on it it towed perfectly.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think the Quiet Hitch will solve this issue. I first use them on our last rig (2011 32H) and am now using them on our new rig. We finished a 7,200 mile trip just before Thanksgiving and had to tighten the quiet hitch a few times along the way. BTW - the worst stretch of road we encountered on that last trip was 680 (northbound) between Milpitas and Livermore in the slow lane. Spent about an hour checking for anything loose and found plenty.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Site Team

Thanks, Chabago! I wanted to use the Quick Connect on my trip to the Santa Barbara area last week, but the delivery company Amazon used was two days late in delivering them. I have them installed now and it feels really solid. Can’t wait to try it out on my February RV Trip. I let everyone knows if that solves the problem!
Al

Tags
tow