Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Navion/View Tow Rack Recommendation (vespa)

Looking for a rack recommendation to tow our Vespa.

I've received a couple recommendations for the VersaHaul and MotoTote, but wondered if the cheaper brands work just as well of if it's worth springing for a better brand.

Anyone else tow a moped on a Navion/View? Since it's a smaller coach anyway, we are wondering if we will even really need to tow our Vespa. This is our first RV, so it's probably just trial and error, and what's right for our RV style, but would still appreciate any feedback before we hit the road!

Thanks!
TravelingTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:28 PM   #2

Welcome to the Winnebago family!
What is the weight of your Vespa? That’s the critical number. I never want anything at max..receiver, rack, anything...plenty of cushion..20%.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I’ve been out of town for a couple of months so I haven’t been able to get my hands on our specific model number to find out the actual weight since I started rack shopping. I can only approximate by knowing it’s 150 cc’s. Of course I’d never buy the rack until I know what I really need but thought I could at least start getting feedback on recommendations.

Good advice - I’ve been wondering if we can get away with the rack that is specified for up to 250lbs (since they are lighter and cheaper) but I suppose it would be wise not to max it out.

Thanks! And thanks for the welcome!
TravelingTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Your Navion/View hitch has a maximum vertical load weight of 500 lbs. You need to know the weight of your Vespa and the weight of the rack. You want to stay below 500 lbs if you can as there are dynamic loads (like when you hit a bump) that you need to allow for.

Get the weights and do the math. If you are towing a car or small pickup, you can always load the Vespa on that.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

7/7/18 Winnebago.

We own a Winnebago 27’ Spirit 26A. My wife and I are both handicapped and did not want the long charging needs of “Hover-Round” type scooters. We bought 2 Bintelli 49cc Scooters. Each weighs 200lbs. Street legal.

We were going to buy a small Spark or “TwoFour” but if you add the Dolly or flat tow, plus the braking mechinism, that option became pretty expensive.

I also did NOT like the idea of “wheels” behind us, even a trailer. Many people have claimed that it was their trailer or towed vehicle/boat that was clipped first by another vehicle.

So we opted for the 2 - 100mpg scooters that were reasonably priced. After much research, I liked the statistics and price of a Versahaul VH-55-DM. Max weight on the hauler was 600lbs. It is a twin scooter adjustable hauler. It weighs in at 118lbs.

So, altogether, you’re looking at 518lbs. Not bad at all for most tongue capacities. Versahaul also has single bike haulers.

It fit my class 4 hitch perfectly. The only item I did NOT like was a 3/8” (.375”) pin. I replaced that with a 5/8” (.625”) LOCKING stainless hitch pin. Without the locking pin, it would not take long for a few guys to unpin the hitch and load the hauler and bike into a pickup. That pin cost about $12.00 and was a 3” longer pin.

My Winnebago Spirit 26A doesn’t even feel that hauler with 2 bikes is back there.

I DO Recommend that you buy an AMBROTHER 60” light bar that sticks to the rear of the Versahaul. It is $41.99 at Amazon. It only has a 4pin flat connector and a loose white wire that you would splice into your camper backup light. That thing is SO BRIGHT, there is no way anyone could miss your right/left/brake lights and the backup lights are unbelievably bright.

Since Winnebago has a round 7 pin, you would need an adapter to the 4pin flat of the light bar. Buy the adapter that has BOTH the dual 4pin and 5pin flat connectors. This way, you can plug the light bar into the 4pin connector and the white backup wire into pin 5 of the 5pin flat connector by itself. Then you won’t have to disassemble the backup light assembly on your RV to activate the backup lights on the light bar.

It works PERFECT. The light bar has a stickem back to adhere to the Versahaul and is 60” long. You can also drill holes into the Versahaul to mount the light bar, but the steel is so thick and strong, that I broke my drill. I just used the stickem back and lined the top of the light bar with a line of Gorilla Glue for extra stick. Works like a charm.

The amazing thing about the Ambrother light bar is that it is less than 1/8” (.125”) thick and 1/2” (.500”) wide.

My twin bike Versahaul does sometimes strike ground at the very end, if there is not enough clearance at the bottom of a steep hill or a high entrance or exit to a business. That happened to me 3 times so far, but the small amount of damage to the VersaHaul is very acceptable.

After VERY MUCH research, I recommend the Versahaul, Stainless locking pin, Scooter handlebar straps, ratchet straps, Scooter cover, bungee cords, and an Ambrother light bar. You WILL love it. All reasonably priced.

The bonus is that our Winnebago Spirit 26A has a backup camera on it that it is so perfectly mounted, we can watch our setup back there as we travel.

Last hint: A lot of bungee cords to stop the scooter covers from ballooning and beating themselves to death. And of course I use 6 ratchet tie downs. 3 on each bike. Thread them through the tires around the Versahaul and they won’t budge. You will also need the scooter handle bar straps to tie the bike down to the Versahaul. This way NO STRAPS ever touch your scooter, except through the wheels. The Versahaul has places to accept your ratchet strap hooks.

The Versahaul is very adjustable and has a ramp to load the bike. I can load both bikes, strap them, and cover them by myself and I am Handicapped. Which is why we bought them. The scooters are a must for any campsite. Run out of a electric battery a couple miles from your RV and you’ll regret it. Our Scooters are gas and get 100mpg. I do also securely strap a 2 gallon NON-ETHANOL plastic can of gas on a Scooter floor.

If you need a walking cane, you can buy a nice foldup metal cane at any drugstore. It fits perfectly into the Scooter’s glove box.

Sorry for my verbosity, but I did a lot of research on all of the above and ALL of it paid off. I despised the idea of having wheels on the ground behind me. I’ve heard too many war stories of swaying, loosening straps, trailer speed limits, trailer flipping, trailer flat tires, cars falling off Dollies, etc. The Versahaul eliminates all of that.

NOW, You could say I am a “Happy Camper. “
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65271C33-8F1D-41F1-BCDA-36130441E8E4.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	169820   Click image for larger version

Name:	A5CC4491-C2F7-4E3A-B7B3-9DA55CC18098.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	169821  

charliedias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Carrying a Scooter on a Navion

We have a 2019 Navion 24D and I purchased at Black Widow carrier from Discount Ramps (https://www.discountramps.com/dirt-b...ier/p/MX-600X/) to carry my Piaggio Liberty 150. The ramp weighs 65 lbs and the scooter weighs in at 255 lbs. We just completed a 1,000 mile trip with the scooter and everything worked well.

The MX600 capacity is more than enough to handle the Piaggio, but because it is designed for heavier bikes, the ramp is longer than most standard ramps: 60" vs 45" making it easier to load and unload the scooter. The ramp can be used on either side of the carrier, just ensure you have clearance to pass the ladder. I use 4 "Soft Loops" to attach the tie down straps to the bike.

The only problem I encountered was that most tie down straps are too long, so I had to cut my ratchet straps down to the right size. The four straps I needed averaged about 26" each. You will also need a strap to secure the front wheel to the carrier to keep it straight. Depending on the terrain, you may want to place leveling pads under the ramp to make it more level. My goal is it to find/design custom fitting straps to make the process more efficient and quicker.

The MX600 comes with an anti-wobble device to reduce ramp movement during transit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MX600 Scooter Carrier.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	489.6 KB
ID:	171290  
Skylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We use 2 200lb gas scooters because we are handicapped, like to buzz around RV sites and on the road. 100 mpg.

We use a dual VersaHaul transport. I did not want a trailer with wheels.

As for the straps, I would advise NOT CUTTING them. Use ALL of the strap. Wrap it around the tires, to the hauler, back around the tires, then to the RV. ALSO make sure that you’re pulling TOWARD the camper as you ratchet the straps. AND keep spare straps.

The reason is, after traveling so long, the scooters will remain strapped, but the strap will stretch and the scooters will lean away from the RV.

ALSO, on the hauler, use the 60” or 48” stickon light system for braking, turn signals, and backup. They are INCREDIBLY bright LED’s and people will give you the way. They are also very cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/AUTUNEER-Tail.../dp/B075LPF6CR
Old 03-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

ALSO, check your hauler pin to the RV. Mine came with a 3/8” pin. I bought a 5/8” pin. It also reduces wobble.

They come in stainless steel, are much longer, and lock so someone cannot undo them and carry away your scooter while you are trail walking. It only takes minutes to steal.

Here: https://www.amazon.com/Miclotus-Anti.../dp/B07BY88CJZ

ALSO, Handle bar tie down straps are a must.
https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-ge...ess-ii/p/40624

Tags
tow