Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

repair quote format

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
You know, I always thought that the surge brakes activating while going down a steep hill was kind of the point of having them.

it does not seem to me that the small disk brakes on a dolly were made to hold back a large motorhome. I think electric brakes would be better so they would only activated when the brakes in the rv were operated. I may be missing something as surge brakes are new to me. I have a long way to get back home and I am tempted to disable them when in the mountains, but that is when I probably need them most.

The disc brakes on my dolly are not small, they are full size automotive discs, you can buy them at any auto parts store, but I don't remember the specific car model. Remember, the disc brakes on front of your car do most of the stopping on your car.

It is my opinion that the dolly brakes are not designed to hold back the MH, they are to hold back the dolly and toad and keep them from pushing the MH. Hopefully, someone more familiar with the engineering design of surge brakes can confirm or deny my opinion.

I agree with you about the mountains, that's when you will need them.
Don't worry about them, they work automatically, relax and enjoy the ride.

Some prefer surge, some prefer electric, you will get opinions on both.

Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Simple - Block - Tool?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseshoe View Post
If you ever have any problem with the ACME dolly, you can simply block the surge brake with a simple tool that is included with the dolly and it will not operate. It is also used when you are backing the dolly around for any reason.
Horseshoe and Sequim,

I have an EZE-Tow (2011 model) second hand that did not come with any thing other than the spare. I made a block so I could back-up (in an emergency only - of course). Could you tell me if this block-tool was from Acme and did you get a manual for the dolly?

By the way - I love the EZE-tow. I rented a u-haul twice before and decided to get my own dolly. Just stumbled on to the EZE tow - very good luck.

Steve and Kim
'07 Damon Outlaw/W22
'01 Buell S3T in the Garage
'06 Escape Hybrid Toad
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #43
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Horseshoe and Sequim,

I have an EZE-Tow (2011 model) second hand that did not come with any thing other than the spare. I made a block so I could back-up (in an emergency only - of course). Could you tell me if this block-tool was from Acme and did you get a manual for the dolly?

By the way - I love the EZE-tow. I rented a u-haul twice before and decided to get my own dolly. Just stumbled on to the EZE tow - very good luck.

Steve and Kim
'07 Damon Outlaw/W22
'01 Buell S3T in the Garage
'06 Escape Hybrid Toad
I bought mine new and I don't recall getting a manual. I think it is just online at Acme Tow Dolly " EZE-TOW" Car Tow Dolly- Online Owners manual | Car Tow Dolly.
The blocking tool should have been wired to the hitch. You might want to call them and ask for a replacement.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

I seem to recall that my "backup" key came in the kit with the bolts and nuts along with the manual that I can't find. It told me how to use the key and also how to "break in" the brakes and other useful information.

I love the dolly.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Backing - Blocking tool - Acme EZE tow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I bought mine new and I don't recall getting a manual. I think it is just online at Acme Tow Dolly " EZE-TOW" Car Tow Dolly- Online Owners manual | Car Tow Dolly.
The blocking tool should have been wired to the hitch. You might want to call them and ask for a replacement.

There a pull pin wired to the tongue of the dolly I have. Is that what you're talking about? I thought the pin was a safety for the hitch, but I use a locking safety pin, so the pin on the wire just dangles there wire.

Many thanks!
Steve
Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Like mentioned earlier, my blocking tool came in the plastic bag with the fender bolts.
The blocking tool is sort of L-shaped and fits into a slot on the side of the tongue.
There is also a wire coming out of the tongue that has a S-hook on it, that is to hook to the motorhome and if the dolly and MH are separated, the wire will trigger a spring to apply the surge brakes.
No owners manual came with dolly (that I remember), just instructions for the blocking key.
Have had my dolly for over 2 years, things may have changed.

Am still extremely happy with my eze-tow dolly, it works great.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

For the sake of this post, I'm gonna assume that everyone agrees that a towed vehicle "should" have brakes...and I'm gonna assume that everyone agrees that Disc brakes are better than drums for the simple design and the ability to cool at a quicker rate over drums...

Electric Brakes: Pros- Less expensive 'cus they are more common in the RV industry (wide use in TT's a 5th wheels), Driver Controllable on the road.
Con's-Complicated, Usually found w/ drum brakes (but w/ discs on a high dollar rigs), electric curcuit at risk when wet.

Surge brakes: Pro's-VERY SIMPLE (when working properly, requires no driver input or adjustment), automatic (the more weight on the tow, the more braking pressure is applied)
Con's-Automatic (no driver input possible).

I have lived with both systems and prefer the surge brakes. The boat trailer mfgt's have gone almost totally to surge brakes, 'cuz electric solenoids and water don't agree. Both systems are good, but they are obviously different.

Currently, I have an Acme EZE-Tow. They advertise that they make the ONLY dolly with disc-surge brakes. I don't know if that's true, but do I know that my boat trailer has disc/surge brakes too and they work like a dream. Like a dolly, boat trailers have to work with a wide range of weight (loaded, unloaded, or with a bunch my cr@p in the back of the boat/toad). The surge system accounts for that automatically.

I compared the cost of flat towing vs. a dolly. I have to admit that flat towing is MUCH easier but, the $$ for flat towing (mod$ to the toad plu$, mileage added to the toad, and the lowered MPG for the $pinning $teel in the driveline of the toad) made me pick a dolly...just a personal choice.

BTW, I found that the 2 U-Haul dolly's I have rented don't have any brakes. I didn't like that, but didn't have any choice in the matter.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
For the sake of this post, I'm gonna assume that everyone agrees that a towed vehicle "should" have brakes...and I'm gonna assume that everyone agrees that Disc brakes are better than drums for the simple design and the ability to cool at a quicker rate over drums...

Electric Brakes: Pros- Less expensive 'cus they are more common in the RV industry (wide use in TT's a 5th wheels), Driver Controllable on the road.
Con's-Complicated, Usually found w/ drum brakes (but w/ discs on a high dollar rigs), electric curcuit at risk when wet.

Surge brakes: Pro's-VERY SIMPLE (when working properly, requires no driver input or adjustment), automatic (the more weight on the tow, the more braking pressure is applied)
Con's-Automatic (no driver input possible).

I have lived with both systems and prefer the surge brakes. The boat trailer mfgt's have gone almost totally to surge brakes, 'cuz electric solenoids and water don't agree. Both systems are good, but they are obviously different.

Currently, I have an Acme EZE-Tow. They advertise that they make the ONLY dolly with disc-surge brakes. I don't know if that's true, but do I know that my boat trailer has disc/surge brakes too and they work like a dream. Like a dolly, boat trailers have to work with a wide range of weight (loaded, unloaded, or with a bunch my cr@p in the back of the boat/toad). The surge system accounts for that automatically.

I compared the cost of flat towing vs. a dolly. I have to admit that flat towing is MUCH easier but, the $$ for flat towing (mod$ to the toad plu$, mileage added to the toad, and the lowered MPG for the $pinning $teel in the driveline of the toad) made me pick a dolly...just a personal choice.

BTW, I found that the 2 U-Haul dolly's I have rented don't have any brakes. I didn't like that, but didn't have any choice in the matter.

You must be a highly intelligent person because we think alike.
We bought a dolly for all the same reasons,
plus at the time we had 2 vehicles and wanted to be able to take either one.

Tags
dolly