Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2006, 07:43 AM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

UPDATE:

Just off the phone with Blue Ox tech support....

They do NOT recommend the rv skirt for motorhomes with rear exhaust....PERIOD

Neil from Blue Ox said my only option was a Kar Gard "type" appliance.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Rebel

"They do NOT recommend the rv skirt for motorhomes with rear exhaust....PERIOD."
Bummer!!!

There is another option - maybe worth considering?
http://www.coastlinecover.com/tow.htm
Any negative input here?

This is another point in favor of Alpine - Side exhaust system.

Rick
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 PM   #23
Administrator Emeritus

Rick,as I think John C. posted somewhere on here,I would be afraid of those type covers inasmuch as I am not convinced you could get it "tight enough" to not flap some.

Translated,it sure seems to me that those things would be the snot out of your paint finish.

I've picked stones off my windshield wipers after dragging the toad down the road so I truly feel I need something,just not sure what that'll be at this point.

Old 01-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

We have noticed that there is some road debris on the windshield when traveling as well. Most of the time it is after having towed the car in the rain(not sure why that is, but not so much debris when the roads are dry). We have thought about getting the car guard, as some friends use it and are very happy with the results. Its just the storage issue after you get to your destination. For now we don't use anything and just make sure to clean the windshield before turning on the wipers

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:19 AM   #25
Administrator Emeritus

As I tow a Chevy Trailblazer,I'm thinking either flat store it in the back deck area or just lay it in a compartment on the coach.

The KarGard manual suggests "flat storing" as the best option.
Old 01-14-2006, 03:38 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I took a Roadmaster shield and made adaptors to use it with a Blue Ox towbar. I was able to get the shield at a very good price. I took the motorhome and toad to Alaska this year. We tow a PT Cruiser on the back of a 32V Winnebago Brave. I purposely mounted the shield low on the front end of the car to protect the entire front end. We did have stone damage below the front bumper, but it looks like tar damage - nothing serious.

More serious was damage to the right and left rear doors of the PT Cruiser. This damage came from stones being picked up by the car itself. The front shields would not protect that. If I had to do it again, I would use the horizontal shield between the motorhome and the car. In addition, I would have the 3M film installed on the back doors of cars like the PT Cruiser where the fender flare out, or have large mudd flaps installed on the car fenders.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

All of the problems discussed in here such as rubbing on paint, stones on windshields etc. would be solved with Protect-a-Tow. In other words I have tried the rest and now have the best. The rear diesel exhaust may be a problem, best check with them before ordering if this is your case. In regards to the blue ox underskirt, it is distributed by blue ox but made by another company, looked a little baggy to me. My Protect-a-Tow does not flap in the wind as discussed in here. Actually I think it may even help with gas mileage versus a shield type as they are a bit of a wind drag. Just one man's opinion and I know everyone in here has one.
fisherman1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Storage for the Roadmaster Guardian is fairly easy and can be done in one of three most common ways. 1. Roadmaster makes a bracket so the Guardian can be mounted to the hitch on the motorhome for storage. 2. The Guardian can be slid under the motorhome and can not be easily seen. 3. The guardian breaks down into three sections that fit into a basement storage compartment.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:22 AM   #29
Administrator Emeritus

From Protect-A-Tow's website....

Protect-a-Tow may not be suitable for Diesel pusher Motorhomes with rear exhaust, call us toll free at 1-888-264-5444 or email us at [email protected] for further details.

Same boat as Blue Ox's Skirt.....
Old 01-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #30

Protect-A-Tow.

Keeps your car clean, any and ALL debris goes under the TOAD, keeps the rear camera clean.

There are plenty of posts with Diesel owners using this product also...they usually use a bungy cord to keep that portion away from the exhaust.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

Let's bang the drum some more....

Just off the phone with Protect-A-Tow and basically he said that,for the diesel coaches to work by THEIR specifications,the diesel exhaust pipe,where it exits the rear of the coach,must be a minimum of 20 inches from the corner.Even at that they would recommend something to redirect the exhaust up and away from the shield,which they supply.
He also said his ultimate recommendation would be to have the exhaust redirected as to come out the side and not the rear.
Without any of these modfications,Protect-A-Tow would not support installing these on rear exhaust diesel coaches,as the polyester shield simply melts.

I'm sure you know someone that has figued out a way to make it work and I'm happy for them.
I'm not interested in rerouting my exhaust or putting something on the end of the exhaust pipe to even do it temporarily while I tow.
Would seem to look like a Chinese Fire drill going down the road....

I'll buy the Shield that goes on the tow bar and leave it at that.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Let's bang the drum some more....

Just off the phone with Protect-A-Tow and basically he said that,for the diesel coaches to work by THEIR specifications,the diesel exhaust pipe,where it exits the rear of the coach,must be a minimum of 20 inches from the corner.Even at that they would recommend something to redirect the exhaust up and away from the shield,which they supply.
He also said his ultimate recommendation would be to have the exhaust redirected as to come out the side and not the rear.
Without any of these modfications,Protect-A-Tow would not support installing these on rear exhaust diesel coaches,as the polyester shield simply melts.

I'm sure you know someone that has figued out a way to make it work and I'm happy for them.
I'm not interested in rerouting my exhaust or putting something on the end of the exhaust pipe to even do it temporarily while I tow.
Would seem to look like a Chinese Fire drill going down the road....

I'll buy the Shield that goes on the tow bar and leave it at that.
Gosh..I would NEVER re-direct my diesel exhaust either!

I would be cautious about the hard plastic shields as some have damaged the toad (on RVnet)
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote