Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Toad Tail Lights not getting power

I have a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U. All lights on the RV work as they are supposed to. On the toad, which has a separate light system via Blue Ox, turn signals work; brake lights work and hazard lights work. Tail lights don't work. Tail lights are generally fed by the brown wire in the harness. That brown wire has no juice in the receptacle.

Any suggestions?
dboliek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I owned a '99 Adventurer on a Ford chassis ... I tried to chase down a similiar problem ...

It turned out the toad lights all had seperate fuses ... you lifted up the dash ... and the key had to be on to find the blown fuse ...

I couldn't find it ... it took a tech about an hour to find it ...

I hope this helps.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
I owned a '99 Adventurer on a Ford chassis ... I tried to chase down a similiar problem ...

It turned out the toad lights all had seperate fuses ... you lifted up the dash ... and the key had to be on to find the blown fuse ...

I couldn't find it ... it took a tech about an hour to find it ...

I hope this helps.
Fuse in the RV? I have a Blue Ox system and the tail lights on the toad are separate bulbs.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboliek View Post
I have a 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U. All lights on the RV work as they are supposed to. On the toad, which has a separate light system via Blue Ox, turn signals work; brake lights work and hazard lights work. Tail lights don't work. Tail lights are generally fed by the brown wire in the harness. That brown wire has no juice in the receptacle.

Any suggestions?
dboliek,
Let me see if I can help here. First, you say all the lights on the M/H ARE working correctly right? That is, if you take a test light and, go to the trailer plug on the coach and test each function, R/T, L/T, T/M or "tail marker" aka "running lights", and, there may be a power point there too, to supply the toad with battery power, if needed.

Now, once you've determined that "ALL" the functions are working correctly at that plug, then, you must determine if all the signals are going through the trailer plugs and on to all the correct points on the toad.

Second, you say the toad has a "separate lighting system via Blue Ox". May I ask, what does that mean? Are there separate bulbs in the tail light housings of the toad that are only used when the toad is being towed? Or, are there a complete set of lights (housings and all) on the back of the toad that are used when the toad is being towed?

I'm just trying to get a good clear picture of your setup here so I can maybe be of some help. You see, your tail lights on the M/H may be working correctly but, the signal from the connection to the running lights may not be getting to the trailer plug. If so, you'll have to find the break down in that part of the system.

If, you're getting all the signals to the trailer plug on the coach, but, not to the tail lights on the toad, you've got a break down from the trailer plug to the tail lights on the toad. Now, if Blue Ox has fuses "in line" with all the wires for each separate circuit, maybe it's possible that the one for the running lights is blown.

Again, just trying to surmise what's happening here. Don't know if any of this helps but, trying to lend a hand.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
dboliek,

Now, once you've determined that "ALL" the functions are working correctly at that plug, then, you must determine if all the signals are going through the trailer plugs and on to all the correct points on the toad.

(snip)
Again, just trying to surmise what's happening here. Don't know if any of this helps but, trying to lend a hand.
Scott
Thanks, Scott. Appreciate your and others' consideration. Sorry for lacking clarity. The Blue Ox system does in fact have separate bulbs in the rear light housing and a direct circuit to them from a plug on the front of the toad. Lights don't go through the toad lighting system, so it's a direct connect. When everything is plugged in, L/T, R/T, Hazard and Brake lights work on both the MH and the toad. Circuits are clear and functional all the way through. Have no problem driving it down the road in the daylight.

According to explainers for 4-flat plugs, the brown wire is for the tail light operation, if I'm reading correctly. I take that to mean when the headlight is on, that tail light should work as well. That brown circuit is not working. It appears dead at the MH receptacle. Testing with VOM I get what I'm supposed to get on L/T, R/T, etc. Nothing on the brown circuit.

Some have suggested a fuse is the problem, which is where I'll look next. However, the fuse diagram for the '99-00 Ford F53 chassis has all kinds of fuses for all kinds of lights, but the term tail light isn't used. So, I'll try checking every fuse that has something to do with lights and see where that goes.

If you have additional thoughts, please share. I 'preciate it.
Thanks so much for your questions and insight.
Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Skigramp and Scott... Thanks for the response.

It was a fuse. I'd looked at the fuse panel under the dash... but was unfamiliar with the contents of the power distribution fusebox under the hood. Fuse #12 under the hood was bad... the last one on the last panel in the last fuse box... but there it was. The power load is getting to where it needs to go. Now to plug in the car and make sure there's not a short somewhere.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboliek View Post
Skigramp and Scott... Thanks for the response.

It was a fuse. I'd looked at the fuse panel under the dash... but was unfamiliar with the contents of the power distribution fusebox under the hood. Fuse #12 under the hood was bad... the last one on the last panel in the last fuse box... but there it was. The power load is getting to where it needs to go. Now to plug in the car and make sure there's not a short somewhere.

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave,
Glad you got the problem figured out. So many times, as we've all seen, the OP NEVER get's back with the ones trying to help and, therefore we never know/knew what the fix was for a particular problem. Thanks for letting us know not only what the issue was but, also where you located the problem/fuse. That way, other F-53 drivers (who are watching this thread) will have an avenue for search, should they have the same issue.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I recently bought a Blue ox harness/receptacle..I found that one of the wires( electric brake) was at the wrong pole and also found several of the connections loose in the harness receptacle
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I recently bought a Blue ox harness/receptacle..I found that one of the wires( electric brake) was at the wrong pole and also found several of the connections loose in the harness receptacle
Bet that was frustrating. Last year the left turn wire came loose in the plug that goes to the toad. That was one of those moments punctuated by clearly un-christian expletives. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Fortunately I checked it all out before installation to prevent a major troubleshooting problem down the road....glad I did.

Tags
lights, power, toad