Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
Minnie Winnie 31k team

TOAD brakes for Fiat 500 Sport

Hello All, have a 2012 FIAT 500 Sport (about 2k in weight) going to tow behind a 2018 Minnie 31k. Have not decided on a TOAD brake system yet...so, before I do any concerns I should have this weekend before a 500 mile r/t while towing the Fiat without a TOAD brake system installed yet.? I have a DEMCO hitch and tow bar all set up. Seems like many choices on brake systems at a wide range of $$$. Would also be interested in what you all think is best system for that FIAT....thanks
mikecav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, even though it tows like it's not even there (we towed a Fiat 500 Pop for a year) and with a weight close to 2000 lbs (probably more like 2200 lbs) you really should have an AUX braking system.

We bought a Brake Buddy Digital Classic on Ebay for ~$600 when we towed the Fiat and it worked fine.

Here's the problem. First most states require it. Second if you have an accident you'll have increased liability for not having one. Lastly, if the toad gets loose - it does happen - the braking system can keep your Fiat from crossing the road and hitting someone head on.

There are folks that will tell you that you don't need it. But I wouldn't risk it. In fact we didn't risk it.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Thanks much for the sound advice....what did it cost you to get it all installed?....can you do it yourself?
Old 07-31-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I double and triple check my connections of the tow bar and safety cables every time I tow, and often drive away forgetting to turn on the Blue Ox brake system.

Not a good habit but so far so good. The RV tows so well, and the exhaust brake works so well, and the car is so light, that it's hard to notice the car is even there. And it's not noticeable to me when I've forgotten to turn on the brake system.

Your weight ratios are similar to mine. I think you'll be OK, but take it easy and anticipate.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Site Team

We installed the NSA ready Brake system on our Mini Cooper. It’s a cable driven mechanical surge brake (probably the best way to describe it). I just picked up a Ready Brute Elite tow bar to replace our existing BlueOx tow bar with an original ready brake. https://www.readybrake.com
I was able to do the cable install in the car myself which is pretty easy assuming that you have the tools necessary. Unfortunately the Mini has a double wall firewall so that added some complexity to the install but otherwise about 1.5 hours start to finish.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Minnie Winnie 31k team

��many thanks
Old 07-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Thanks so much
Old 07-31-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Having break away brakes is kind of like using seat belts, isn't it? They are often required, certain to help when there is a need and still folks debate whether to use them.
I look at this way. Most of us will never carry enough insurance to pay the bills if our car runs away and kills a couple people, so I look at the gamble and expense against the reward. Do I want to have all this time and effort invested in my future (savings/ 401 K, etc. ) only to gamble it all plus more to save a bit of cash now? I've paid some pretty big bucks to get the RV and car, so should I flinch at following the law and risk losing everything or do I look at the expense as part of the game that I knew about before I bought the RV?
I might also note that folks in my circle DO use their seat belts!
We like the RVI brake as something we can install for each trip and not have much other stuff hanging on while we are not towing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We tow a 2013 Honda Fit and use the Roadmaster Invisibrake. It has performed flawlessly thus far. We had a bypass switch installed (roadmaster provides one) due to the Honda Fit radio scavenging power. We also had the battery charge option.

We had it installed at Camping World and have no complaints about the installation. I do not recall the cost. We also made sure the proper wiring hookup for the Fits tail lights while being towed was used.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Having break away brakes is kind of like using seat belts, isn't it? They are often required, certain to help when there is a need and still folks debate whether to use them.
I look at this way. Most of us will never carry enough insurance to pay the bills if our car runs away and kills a couple people, so I look at the gamble and expense against the reward. Do I want to have all this time and effort invested in my future (savings/ 401 K, etc. ) only to gamble it all plus more to save a bit of cash now? I've paid some pretty big bucks to get the RV and car, so should I flinch at following the law and risk losing everything or do I look at the expense as part of the game that I knew about before I bought the RV?
I might also note that folks in my circle DO use their seat belts!
We like the RVI brake as something we can install for each trip and not have much other stuff hanging on while we are not towing.

Yes indeed!

Sad that so many debate, hem and haw on doing what is really mandatory especially considering the potential ramifications to oneself and everyone else on the road nearby them.

The brake systems usually cost less than the tickets for not having them and way far less than the costs of damages if you have a breakaway.

I lean toward the ones that can be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle and are not permanently installed.

I usually have a motorcycle on a hitch rack however will rent a tow dolly with surge brakes and a breakaway activator when I do bring a toad.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Auxiliary brake in TOAD

We have used an Invisibrake on our 2007 Jeep Liberty with three different RV's. Each time we just purchase the Monitor LED and Alarm Sounder from Roadmaster to install in new RV. Original installed by Camping World with no problems after installation other than adjusting brake pressure using the procedure outlined in the manual. It is convenient since no setup is required, just hook up tow bar, saftey cables, break-away cable, and electrical cable. We reused the back up terminal in the 7 wire connector as the brake monitor by cutting the existing connection from the RV and running a wire from the RV connector to the RV dashboard. This way no extra wire connections are necessary when hooking up. When vehicle is unhooked you can drive it away with no other procedures. The RV keeps the battery in the TOAD charged during the trip and the brake activation hardware is under the driver's seat.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We use the RVI brake system and like it alot. About the size of 2 laptop in top of each other and 8 lbs. https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibra...braking-system You can always find systems on ebay where we bought ours. Here is one - I found with a quick search - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RVibrake-3-...4AAOSwUsxdS0df Took about an hour to install. RVI uses air to engage the brakes which is quicker than an electric motor in an emergency. Not sure all the other brands use.

One thing to confirm no matter what system you use. Be sure your power line on your light pigtail is working and add a connection to your battery. Many people complain about their TOAD battery running down when being towed for hours. Check the Fiat manual to see if there is a section about towing. Some manufacturers include specific instructions for us to follow. Varies by vehicle. Good Luck
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizandBruce View Post
We use the RVI brake system and like it alot. About the size of 2 laptop in top of each other and 8 lbs. https://rvibrake.com/products/rvibra...braking-system You can always find systems on ebay where we bought ours. Here is one - I found with a quick search - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RVibrake-3-...4AAOSwUsxdS0df Took about an hour to install. RVI uses air to engage the brakes which is quicker than an electric motor in an emergency. Not sure all the other brands use.

One thing to confirm no matter what system you use. Be sure your power line on your light pigtail is working and add a connection to your battery. Many people complain about their TOAD battery running down when being towed for hours. Check the Fiat manual to see if there is a section about towing. Some manufacturers include specific instructions for us to follow. Varies by vehicle. Good Luck

Does this system only work with Diesels? (where you have air available for braking?)
Old 08-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

No it works on any vehicle. It has a small compressor and compressed air tank inside the brake unit. So it fills the air tank when we first install it in our vehicle. Then it recharges whenever needed. Cool system.

There nice videos on Youtube about it and on the company website.

The engineer and designer of the system owned one of the other braking systems first then sold that company. I assume he had a non-compete in the sales contract (just a guess - but common in company sales) for some number of years. Then he started this company.
LizandBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Have towed Fiat Sport 500 for 3 seasons. Use Ready Brute Elite tow bar and cable style brake. Out of the way and no electronics. Neutral and go on down the road.
sailors35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad