Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2019, 12:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

temporary wireless back up camera

After searching, I don't see any discussion on temporary back up cameras to mount at hitch level for backing into a trailer. For years I had a cheap ($150?) one that I used for hooking up a race trailer to a RoadTrek or a pick up. The camera temporarily plugged into tail light power and a small screen plugged into dash power worked quite well. So, after that ease, I find the permanent roof level rear view camera pretty much worthless (big surprise). I would attach it to the rear bumper just to hook up the trailer then take it off since I still also tow the trailer with a pick up. A separate screen or an app for a cell phone should work?

Any suggestions? I see a few out there I think would work, but I'm looking for recommendations for a Class A; 2017 Sunstar LX 30T to be exact.

TIA.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well, not sure why no one has some input. I would think towables would want a back up camera on the back of the trailer for backing into a tight space never mind hooking up to the tow rig. Or does everyone have a experienced companion to efficiently back them in? My wife has always got something better to do. Grrrrr........

While there appears to be a blizzard of cheap ones ($100 or less) with a lot of bad reviews, the IBall seems to be pretty good if not the best. The slightly more expensive Pro model is the way to go I'm sure for longer transmission distance (100' vs. 25') since the signal has to go thru the RV or the trailer which cuts signal strength significantly or so my skepticism would suggest. Also I'm gathering that the frequency (2.4GHz or 5.8GHz) makes a difference.

Anyway, I'll report back as I'm sure someone will have this question in the future. Hopefully they can search to find this thread. I found no discussion of this issue.

Over and out.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our camper is a 2016. It doesn’t have one. I’ve been wanting to add one - on my list... I was wanting one more for seeing traffic than backing tho but I suppose it would be handy for that too.
RodneynDawnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:05 AM   #4
harvform

I have a Furrion Observation camera. I hooked it up to my rear center running light. When I turn on my parking or headlights, the camera turns on. This allows me to use it as a backup camera or an observation camera when I am driving. I love this camera and keep it on all of the time. I am using a tow dolly to tow my toad and this camera is set to show the toad and allows me to see who is coming up on either side of the RV. It also is great as a backup camera. For me, this is a win-win combo.
harvform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

great, glad you like it. Which model do you have? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Try Tadi Brothers. High quality at half the price. Can probably advise and assemble what you desire in either hard wired or wireless
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I second the Tadi Brothers--you can rig up a plug to the trailer hitch 4 pin adaptor, or add one if you don't have it--for the power supply to the camera and Wireless transmitter. I use one when hauling my boat.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use this for seeing out the back of my 5th wheel, but it could be mounted just about anywhere. It's occasionally prone to a bit of interference, but it's basically just awesome. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wireless rearview camera

Actually, you can do better than Tadibrothers. The same, or equivalent units, are available from Amazon for much less cost.

I bought a $325 wireless model from Tadibrothers, the camera leaked and I had to send it back. The replacement went bad after about five hours of use, the image flickered on the replacement for that one, and the image was very poor on the replacement for that one. Finally they refunded my money, but I had paid almost $100 dollars in return shipping.

I bought a unit from Amazon for $169. It has worked perfectly from day one.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera