Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Staying hitched

We will be doing and short overnight stay at a state park and was thinking about not unhitching from the tow vehicle. Being new to camping with RV, will that be a problem? Anything special I would need to do?
Thanks!
PC Red
PC Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not at all, we did it all the time when we had a TT. I always un-plugged the TT from my truck to avoid any battery drain. Just don't forget to plug in again before you tow. You should always check your lights every time in any case. I'd also be careful when leveling. Raising the front of your TT a little is OK, you don't want to overload your tongue jack with the weight of your tow vehicle. If you need to raise the tongue more than two or three inches, you can always unhitch "in place" so all you have to do is crank back down onto the ball to re-hitch.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob. Been camping and hiking for a while but this is all pretty new with the TT. my wife calls it our caravan.��. There will be more question I’m sure being a newbie.
PC
Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

We always overnight in campgrounds and have found it is rare to get a site where we don't have to level the trailer. You will need to be level when stationary for any length of time to avoid damage to the refrigerator. I usually disconnect the hitch in place so I can raise the front to level. If I have to lower the tongue I just creep forward the couple of inches to clear the ball. In both cases I leave the chains attached. It really doesn't take much time to unload/reload the bars and hitch up if you don't move the TV.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I think that’s what I’ll do. Been practicing hitching on my own at home and have been surprisingly successful so we’ll see how this goes.
PC
Old 09-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Red View Post
Thanks. I think that’s what I’ll do. Been practicing hitching on my own at home and have been surprisingly successful so we’ll see how this goes.
PC
These things work great:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Tow...ystem/15125824
Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_engineer View Post
You will need to be level when stationary for any length of time to avoid damage to the refrigerator
From what I've read, the refrigerator leveling isn't super critical and if you're comfortable, it's comfortable, so don't worry about a few degrees.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
From what I've read, the refrigerator leveling isn't super critical and if you're comfortable, it's comfortable, so don't worry about a few degrees.

True a few degrees won't hurt and there is more flexibility front to back on the refrigerator than side to side so a lot depends upon its orientation in the trailer. I think the spec on ours is 6 degrees front to back and 3 degrees side to side. For the 5-10 minutes it takes to unhook and to hookup why take the risk that you are off the wrong direction so the refrigerant doesn't get back to the boiler correctly? If I was doing an overnight in Cracker Barrel, Walmart or truck stop I would try to find a level spot and stay hooked up but that is in the event I need to make a quick get away.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Bob,
Thanks! I just picked those up at a Home Depot over the weekend, and after some minor adjustments, they work great!
PC
Old 10-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I will be unhitching since that process has suddenly become a little easier.
PC
Old 10-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #11
2010 Winnebago Via 25r

Quote:
We will be doing and short overnight stay at a state park and was thinking about not unhitching from the tow vehicle. Being new to camping with RV, will that be a problem? Anything special I would need to do?
Thanks!
PC Red
Motor home? Do not back up with a car attatched. Travel trailer not a problem
Mbarton557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Sam

If you are going to extend your sides I recommend you disconnect and level the trailer. This helps prevent problems with your slides.
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Dry Docking

Quote:
Thanks!
PC Red
Another advantage to staying hitched to your tow vehicle is that you can make a quick and easy departure when it’s time to leave, the next morning.

This is especially advantageous when overnighting at a rest area, Walmart parking lot, or other similar free facilities (“dry docking”).

I, too, like to level the camper and take the weight off of the tongue by putting blocking under the jack.
ML007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the additional info and ideas. Something came up last week so I am heading out for a brief overnight camp in the a.m. Only my second time out so just trying to gather as much input as possible. I think I'll be unhitching and just pulling the tow vehicle just a hair in front of the caravan. That way I can level, put the slide out (1808 FBS) and just ease the tow vehicle back into position when I'm ready to leave!

Thanks again!

Still trying to figure out my sound system/DVD operation for the rainy days and nights!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

PC Red, remember backing up with a toad is a big thing, and dependent on the way the toad is set up. As an aside the secret to staying hitched is a happy spouse! Oh and V day is coming up.