Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Selection of New Tow Car

Our Honda CRV was ready for trade in. Problem was what to replace it with. We knew what we wanted/needed. Good stow space, able to handle easy off road as stream fishing is a passion. Turns out the decision was pretty easy as there is really only 1 vehicle that has NO speed limit, NO drive time limit....
2020 Buick Envision. It's a great car.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hope my CRV will serve me a while longer. I’ll keep the Buick in mind.
Charley67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We loved our CRV and never had a problem. We did grow tired of the max speed while towing of 65 especially when we are in MT where speed limit is 80 and the towns are min. of an hour apart.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the "heads up". I'm in the market and looking at the Equinox. Speed restriction is a non-issue for me as I prefer 60 MPH. Looks like the Equinox came out on top in Consumer Reports recent "new cars" issue and is 10K less. My 2002 CRV runs great so I'm not in a big hurry, however, I'd like to get some of the up to date safety features in place soon.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Well JT..perhaps we might meet someday. I am originally from the Twin Cities, eldest son and his family remain there in my former family home in Lakeville. I'm a grad of UofM and visit annually to see my 3 grandchildren and some close friends. We usually stay at Mystic Campground. What part of state are u in and when do u depart for warmer parts.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We're considering trading our 2014 Equinox (40K miles) on a new Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner short bed edition. It's heavier than the Equinox but still far enough below the max tow weight to be in spec to carry stuff.

FWIW our Equinox has been a great trouble free vehicle. We only towed it about 20K miles but had no problems at all with it.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The Envision looks more upscale than what I need so I'll probably settle with the highly rated Equinox...it's exactly what I need. The Envision looks like a great option, especially given the ease of setup and no speed restriction.
Leaving Arizona/Nevada around Dec 27 and heading back to MN (Burnsville) to start my 31st tax season. That accounting degree from the U of M has paid off. (Class of '83)
Couldn't imagine summers without MN...so we will keep home base in MN and bought a Thousand Trails lifetime membership and will move from "park to park" when we travel.
We will pay no state income tax after retirement thanks to my tax planning.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"Heads up"...anyone looking for a used Equinox might want to check out Hertz Rent A Car Auto Sales. They have a rent to own program where you can rent the car for 3 days before buying it and just turn it in and pay for the rental charges if you decide not to buy it. They have quite a few Equinoxes in their fleet.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

2019 Tow Vehicles

I made an exhaustive look at new vehicles that could be flat towed without a dolly. Since my Winnebago has a 5000 lb tow capacity that was a huge restriction. I wanted a 4WD because when home in Florida we could use on the beach.

While the new Jeep stood out as an obvious choice I did not like the price they were asking due to its popularity.

What I found instead was a new 2019 Ford Ranger. 4WD with turbo charged engine and manufacturers okay and instructions for flat towing.

I am very pleased with this truck.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just bought a 2019 Equinox. It’s a very good replacement for our 2010 Honda CRV. However, CRV value was so low, I just kept it. Nothing wrong with the CRV, just 10 years old and I wanted some of new technology.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Honda Fit Sport

We bought a Honda Fit Sport with a 6 speed manual transmission and absolutely love it! I researched for months and, for us, this has been a great choice.
Enjoy...and make memories!
Nedetria
2014 Winnebago View Profile V
Nedetria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

"only 1 vehicle that has NO speed limit, NO drive time limit...." don't think so. I just replaced my 2005 Honda Odyssey with a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was a lease car ... got it from Carvana w/ only 14k miles. Love it. Easy to tow. No limits in time or speed.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I just read that Buick is going the way of Pontiac. So if you want one better buy one soon.
Macsimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

We replaced our trusty '09 Honda Fit w/automatic and after tons of research I decided to gamble and bought the last 2018 Subaru Forester 6spMT I could find new. No longer available though but it has turned out to be a great tow vehicle, no issues at all. The running gear is the same as prior years and now Subaru states clearly no towing because all they now sell except for the little sports car is CVT tranny. The only issue with towing an AWD vehicle is tire rotation schedule must include the towed miles as well as driven.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Richard, please let us know how you like the 2019 Equinox. I am renting one off the Hertz sales lot for 3 day test run. It has 32K and is priced at $17,600. The rental cars don't have the Convenience or Confidence package, which may cause me to go new. (Not sure yet). I have ruled out the Envision after reading Edmund reviews. I want to stay mainstream and there are lots of Equinoxes in RV parks. Very little (if any) negative feedback on Equinox. One downside is I must go FWD (can't flat tow Equinox AWD). I do still drive in MInnesota winters and would prefer AWD (which the Envision has and can flat tow) but I can survive with FWD. Also in the camp...have a good CRV but want new tech and safety. Also want to be "set" for the next 10-15 years. The CRV is 17 years old and runs great! May keep it as a backup.
Old 12-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsimone View Post
I just read that Buick is going the way of Pontiac. So if you want one better buy one soon.
Doubt that. Where did you read that? The nameplate may be going away and sedans. But sales are still over a million per year of mostly SUVs.

Buick is actually a big seller for GM in China.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Equinox Correction

I just realized the 2.0 AWD Equinox can be flat towed.

(Page 354 of 2019 Equinox Owner's Manual).

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf

I need to start my search process over again given this info. Confirmed at Remco Towing also.

I want AWD!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:58 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheilag1848 View Post
Our Honda CRV was ready for trade in. Problem was what to replace it with. We knew what we wanted/needed. Good stow space, able to handle easy off road as stream fishing is a passion. Turns out the decision was pretty easy as there is really only 1 vehicle that has NO speed limit, NO drive time limit....
2020 Buick Envision. It's a great car.
Pretty much any Jeep with a transfer case will also work.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The new 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid With on demand 4 wheel drive can be flat towed as well. Something you might want to look into as well. Not bad to have a 40 MPG vehicle that can be flat towed. It is worth checking out. Enjoy every day or you wasted one
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I'm thinking either new or near new Kia Soul with a manual trans. Around 18K for a new car, 12-14K for a very low mileage late model is hard to beat.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow