Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Roadmaster Stowmaster Eagle 8000

Good evening everyone. Well, I now have more questions. I purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited today. Happy Valentines Day, beautiful bride! We intend to flat tow it behind our newly purchased Winnebago Adventurer 38j. The m/h already has a Roadmaster Stowmaster Eagle 8000 hitch. My question is, what do I get installed on the Jeep to match the Roadmaster, or do I have to replace both in order to safely tow the Jeep four down? Also, will it be necessary to have a brake system on the toad and should I get some type of rock guard to protect my new toy's paint job? The Winnebago already sports a rear skirt. Anything else I need to make sure the Jeep ends up at the same place as the motorhome when we are traveling? Thank you in advance for your help.
Papa44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Brake system is not required in some states, BUT, unlike drivers licenses, there is no reciprocity on equipment. So, even though your home state might not require them if you go into any state that does you need to be in compliance. Pretty much means you have to have them. There are charts on the internet that purport to show the laws but most are for TT's and lots of states (WA is one) don't consider a motorized vehicle towing a motorized vehicle to be a TT set up.
Some states (WA, OR and CA) use a performance spec: stop from XX mph in XX ft and no add'l braking required. WA and CA are the same, OR is tougher. Our Magna can easily match these specs but still not legal in all states.
But, the more weight you have the more braking force is required to stop them. The laws of physics come into play.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Brake system is not required in some states
Yes but brake system "is" required in most states!
Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the info on brake systems. Do you have an opinion as to which
unit would be best for this application?
Papa44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just had the Blue Ox wiring harness put on my 2015 Rubicon, and already tested it on a trip to FL from MD. It works perfect, and although a bit more expensive than some(cost about ($200), it worked perfectly. Some of the cheaper ones have issues with supplemental braking systems and the current brake lights.
Brutusiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Just purchased Winnie vista LX 35f and I am planning on towing my Sahara.
Picked up blu ox aventa and was going to use the blue ox patriot wireless brake system. Anyone out there have any comments on the patriot. It's pricey but I like the wireless option
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm in the same boat. Got a Jeep Wrangler to drive/tow. Used tow bar. Even a used US Gear Unified Tow Brake. Now to get it installed (by me) and we aren't even home!

You just need to get a base plate for the Jeep and matching connectors to hook the tow bar to it. Roadmaster is pretty standard.

It all depends on what you want/like for braking. There are many options: wired, wireless, removable and surge. Some allow progressive braking - the harder you stop, the harder they apply brakes.

Tail light/blinker wiring will be required for any type/style. You existing umbilical wire harness should be reusable - pretty much an industry standard wire connection - just ends differ.

Break Away set up is a must, also.

Do a Google search for:
Brake Buddy for one type of removable system.
Ready Brake for an on the hitch surge system.
Go to about any RV parts web site and search for braking systems. There area a lot out there.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelchers View Post
Just purchased Winnie vista LX 35f and I am planning on towing my Sahara.
Picked up blu ox aventa and was going to use the blue ox patriot wireless brake system. Anyone out there have any comments on the patriot. It's pricey but I like the wireless option
I have a Blue Ox Patriot.

The system works as advertised. Even had to have the unit serviced once, and Blue OX did a fantastic job of repair and replacement. They charged less than they estimated over the phone too.

Unfortunately, you will need to crank and run your TOAD occasionally unless you can keep your TOAD battery charged via the MH.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.
TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Braking

We have used the "SMI" braking system on the last 3 coaches and have been totally happy with the performance. Also nothing to remove in the vehicle. Just unhook the tow bar and drive away
Would also recommend adding a "Charge" wire from the coach to your vehicle battery.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow