Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Recommendation for Motor Scooter rack

I'm new to this forum and I'm sure that this has been asked a million times but I'm unable to find anything relevant. So please indulge a newbie...

I have a 39' Adventurer (2005, just purchased a few months ago) and will be a full-time cruiser (sorry...I just spent 8 years full time cruising on my boat and don't know what else to call it!). I am planning on carrying a 150 cc scooter (still to be purchased) which will weigh about 300 lbs. I've seen a variety of hitch-mounted carriers but would like to get recommendations from others who have done this. Besides the obvious concerns of safety and reliability, I'm mainly concerned about the ability to load/unload single-handled. I'm a reasonably strong male but getting somewhat long in the tooth and don't need to incur an injury doing something as innocuous as pushing a scooter up a ramp! If I'm going to get hurt, I would at least like to get a good cocktail-hour story out of it.

Any suggestions about the rack, its mounting and other tips would be greatly appreciated.

John
John Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

I carry a Honda Reflex on a nice roll on carrier I bought from Discount ramps.com. for about $400. It plugs into the trailer hitch. No problems at all, I can do it alone as long as the tie down straps are laid out so I can reach them. The ramp is built in.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I just came across an ad for a Versahaul VH-Sport carrier and looked it up on amazon. Looks stout and has a ramp option. Sorry, can't seem to ad the link. Best of luck, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, MAC...
I've been looking at the Black Widow on Discountramps.com based on a recommendation from an acquaintance who said he had done a lot of research on the subject. My scooter (I finally purchased one two weeks ago) weighs 230 lbs and the carrier is rated for 600 lbs. Overkill but this model has it has a 72" ramp which flattens the mounting incline. I'm single-handed so being able to load myself is important.

*****After typing the above, I "chatted" with Discountramps about the difference in two ramps. Here is the reply I received:

From Discount Ramps: "The primary difference between the two carriers is that the SMC version has an aluminum track, which helps keep it from rusting while being exposed to the elements. In both cases, I wouldn't recommend using these on a motor home. The issue you run into is that the carrier would sit farther back from the rear axle than is intended. When you hit a bump, it generates forces that these carriers are not designed for and you can lose the carrier or the bike."

So...have you (or anyone else reading this) found this to be a problem. I've often marveled at how much coach is hanging over the back axle and wondered how adding 200+ lbs would affect the coach. I'm an older (76) person and pretty cautious, not prone to testing limits so I'm wondering if this will be a problem under nominal conditions (I learned from living and cruising on my boat for years that, if conditions are not "nominal", I don't go. I expect to maintain the same philosophy on the road.
John Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #5
Site Team

I have considered a motorcycle carrier for my Minnie Winnie 22M, but have held-back on purchasing anything because they all seem to come-out parallel with the 2" receiver. Considering this rack will sit at least 18" astern of the receiver, but at the same height, it now decreases the departure angle of the rig. I suspect that many of these carriers will drag on the ground on driveways, etc.
The solution would be to have a bike rack that sits higher than your receiver. Toss a small rope around the inside road-contact edge of your rear dually, and pull it tight to the lowest existing point at the back of the motorhome. This is the angle you must continue to maintain with a carrier.
Perhaps a new design is needed, such as one that also clamps onto the rear bumper? I have also seen winch-style carriers, but they are pricy and seem to be over-kill for a light motorbike.
As far as the stress of bouncing ten feet behind your rear axle, I do not think that would overload a carrier which was designed for twice the weight.
Eagle5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #6
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

Here is a picture, my prior MH was a Jayco and I had to buy a hitch that raised it 4 inches to prevent the carrier from dragging on the ground when you pulled into some entrances. The newer Winne's height is fine.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

Picture

I hope the attachment works this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180924_134013.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	171255  
Old 03-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I use a 6" hitch riser rated at 500 lbs vertical between the mh hitch and the carrier
Old 03-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
Site Team

I didn't know these 6" risers were made. Very cool! Thanks.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a Versa-Hauler. EXTREMELY well made!! I use it for my moped, but it will haul up to 500 lbs. They also have one for larger bikes that will carry 600 lbs. Fits perfectly into the larger receiver hitch. It does have a clamp like device so that the hauler will not wobble going down the road. Beware of the less expensive ones. I’ve had friends that went that route, and the steady vibration cracked the welds.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Thank you Ron for the recommendation for Versa-Hauler. I have heard good things about them.