Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ready Brute Elite with my 26a Minnie

So today was test day to see how my new 2018 26A Minnie handled while pulling my 2005 Nissan Frontier. I put the Road Master Base Plates on the Nissan, and used the Ready Brute Elite Tow bar with the Surge brake built in. It works GREAT, and the Minnie doesn't know that the Nissan is back there. Total cost to get the Nissan stick shift Pickup setup to be towed was under $2000, and that included installation. I went with the Magnetic Pilot tail lights. I went to a local Hitch installing place. At first I called a local RV dealer.. they said it would be $5-6,000 to get everything ready to go. GEEZE! Those guys are just way out of line.
Snakebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We've been using our ReadyBrute Elite for nearly 7 years without a single problem. Great product at a fair price.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
We've been using our ReadyBrute Elite for nearly 7 years without a single problem. Great product at a fair price.
I don't have the Elite but have the Ready Brake with a Blue Ox tow bar. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the Elite but I'd already purchased the tow bar (essentially new) at a great price via Craig's List. The Elite would have been several inches shorter overall.

I can't understand why these products aren't more popular and totally absent from the write-ups in Motorhome's annual dinghy guides. I can only assume that the write-ups are thinly veiled advertising and NSA Products isn't spending the money.

It seems that those who own these love them and those that don't come up with arguments against them that aren't founded in fact or personal experience. The engineer in me likes their simplicity and total independence from battery power and electronics (not to mention the cost).
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

on the Ready Brute Elite. Minnie 31G pulling a Jeep Wrangler.
Motts461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Bob C... yes.. it does seem like some folks don't like the simplicity of the Ready Brute Elite. Maybe it is because they have already spent $1500 for a brake in their Toad. Don't know... and I'm sure not a expert. All I know is that my first outing was good. Time will tell the tale.

Snakebite
Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I was first introduced to the NSA tow bar 13 or 14 years ago when it was under $500. A friend had a mobile RV repair service and he sold them and strongly believed they made a lot of sense and he convinced me as well, but of course I had a tow bar and didn't need to replace it. The replacement for my first tow bar happened when it wouldn't release properly and I was on my way to Alaska, so just bought a replacement at the closest CW. So that is how we continue to have another system. I have told many people, new to motorhoming, about the system since but I don't know of one that has bought it. I think the concept that it looks "too simple" and the lack of big dealers handling the system has been its limitation. Let's face it, you can't get a much more inconvenient braking system than a "brake in a box". I use M&G, so at least my hook up is easy, but you can trust I paid a lot more.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I recently went to the ReadyBrute with the ReadyBrake set up for the new Wrangler JL I bought 3 months ago. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai with a Blue OX tow bar welded on to the front of it. Having the ReadyBrute that stays on the RV leaves the Jeep with a very clean look. I used Roadmaster mounting bracket with the twist locking extensions, which when not being towed leaves a very clean appearance. Also the ReadyBrake and BrakeAway are easy to hook up but not seen when not in use. No additional brake system to deal with or that can drain the battery. Great set up.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VqF...vYaqB36IMU_rrg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0__w...pjQ0uOTcXSC27w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bVn...fcAOp6z6nOLCPw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rOQ...KsrHVAPKyreSQQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YXr...a8shEas_bB_odA
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I thought seriously about a Ready Brute but my Winnebago manual says not to use a surge brake.
greg126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I don't think that the Motor Home knows what is connected to the hitch. As long as you stay within the given weight limits I see no difference between a surge brake or a powered brake. Either type does the same thing... they apply the TOAD's existing brake system. One pushes the pedal and one pulls the pedal. As long as they are working properly there is no difference. When stopping, the TOAD is going to push against the MH... applying the TOAD brakes just controls the amount of "Push". Brakes is brakes.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I went with ReadyBrute with the ReadyBrake set up. Installed the roadmaster towplate myself on the CRV. I liked that you take the tow connections off so if you drive it around town it doesn't look all towed... Hardwired the lights and added a charging circuit from the Navion to keep the battery topped off. Can't really feel it behind the rig and very happy with the products. The videos on etrailer.com a big help tearing the front off the CRV.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think that the CRV is a good choice for a TOAD. I went with a manual Xmission 2005 Nissan Frontier with a Shell on the back. Having a small truck as a extra vehicle is nice, but I am thinking of changing to a CRV so I have room for 4 adults. What year CRV are you using?
Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We purchased a 2012 Sightseer 33C and a Ready Brute was part of the deal. I just had the base plate attached to my 2013 CR-V, but since the weather isn't good enough for travel it's still all new for me. The previous owner said the Ready Brute works Fabulous, but he was selling the Coach. Can't wait until warmer weather to try it out though.
ldcross11475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
I think that the CRV is a good choice for a TOAD. I went with a manual Xmission 2005 Nissan Frontier with a Shell on the back. Having a small truck as a extra vehicle is nice, but I am thinking of changing to a CRV so I have room for 4 adults. What year CRV are you using?
We purchased a 2012 AWD and it has room in the back for extra stuff... like my garage.

I also added a receiver hitch so I can haul the bikes on the CRV.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbehl View Post
I recently went to the ReadyBrute with the ReadyBrake set up for the new Wrangler JL I bought 3 months ago. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai with a Blue OX tow bar welded on to the front of it. Having the ReadyBrute that stays on the RV leaves the Jeep with a very clean look. I used Roadmaster mounting bracket with the twist locking extensions, which when not being towed leaves a very clean appearance. Also the ReadyBrake and BrakeAway are easy to hook up but not seen when not in use. No additional brake system to deal with or that can drain the battery. Great set up.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VqF...vYaqB36IMU_rrg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0__w...pjQ0uOTcXSC27w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bVn...fcAOp6z6nOLCPw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rOQ...KsrHVAPKyreSQQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YXr...a8shEas_bB_odA
Your photos aren't coming up, at least for me. I get a screen that says "shared photos not available".
Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldcross11475 View Post
We purchased a 2012 Sightseer 33C and a Ready Brute was part of the deal. I just had the base plate attached to my 2013 CR-V, but since the weather isn't good enough for travel it's still all new for me. The previous owner said the Ready Brute works Fabulous, but he was selling the Coach. Can't wait until warmer weather to try it out though.
I have a 2011 Sightseer 33C and 2011 Honda CR-V. I've been towing with a Ready Brute for 7 years now. It is FABULOUS!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
I don't think that the Motor Home knows what is connected to the hitch. As long as you stay within the given weight limits I see no difference between a surge brake or a powered brake. Either type does the same thing... they apply the TOAD's existing brake system. One pushes the pedal and one pulls the pedal. As long as they are working properly there is no difference. When stopping, the TOAD is going to push against the MH... applying the TOAD brakes just controls the amount of "Push". Brakes is brakes.

Thats kinda what I figured but then I read the caution in the Winnebago manual. Maybe they think the adjustment of the mechanical system is an issue? But other systems need adjusting too - just don't know why Winnebago singled out surge brakes.
greg126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #17
Minnie Winnie 26A

NSA tow bar is best

We use the brute elite towbar with brakes. Tow Jeep Wrangler with Minnie Winnie 26A. Works great!. No big box on floor of Jeep.i can attach or remove Toad in a couple of minutes. I also added a NSA breakaway kit. If the T.oad breaks free it brakes to a stop. Nice feature. Make sure you get a locking hitchpin! Installed it all myself in less than a day. Not hard, but plan ahead. Contrary to all people who say "they don't even know it's back there"..... I know it's back there when going up steep hills and at the gaspump😊. Am looking to install 10 tire pressure monitors as it bother me I can't see if Toad has flat tire. I actually leave one of my 2 rear view cameras on so I can see it. Any ideas on a reasonably priced psi Tire monitor
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Leaving a Back up Camera on while you travel is a good idea. I will be looking for a TPMS systems as well just to give me more peace of mind about not having a flat on the TOAD.
ldcross11475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
We use the brute elite towbar with brakes. Tow Jeep Wrangler with Minnie Winnie 26A. Works great!. No big box on floor of Jeep.i can attach or remove Toad in a couple of minutes. I also added a NSA breakaway kit. If the T.oad breaks free it brakes to a stop. Nice feature. Make sure you get a locking hitchpin! Installed it all myself in less than a day. Not hard, but plan ahead. Contrary to all people who say "they don't even know it's back there"..... I know it's back there when going up steep hills and at the gaspump��. Am looking to install 10 tire pressure monitors as it bother me I can't see if Toad has flat tire. I actually leave one of my 2 rear view cameras on so I can see it. Any ideas on a reasonably priced psi Tire monitor
The EEZ TPMS is pretty reasonably priced ($459 on Amazon w/10 sensors). You don't get a color screen but I really don't see a need for it. IMHO it's all about the alarms, not the display. The non flow-through sensors are a bit more inconvenient but more compact and, from what I've read, the flow-through sensors can be subject to clogging. I found the anti-theft covers to be a pain and, in any case, relatively easy for a thief to circumvent.