Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
On our most recent 10 day trip it was necessary a few times to apply the brakes rather hard. On these occasions a strong, rancid smell came into the cabin. It persisted for some time and after stopping and getting out it was noticable outside too. However, it did not seem to located anywhere specific, brakes, chasis electrical, etc.

To be sure this is a Freightliner XC chassis.

Anyone else have an exerpience like this? I'd like to have as much information as possible before we go to the Freightliner dealer with this problem.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On our most recent 10 day trip it was necessary a few times to apply the brakes rather hard. On these occasions a strong, rancid smell came into the cabin. It persisted for some time and after stopping and getting out it was noticable outside too. However, it did not seem to located anywhere specific, brakes, chasis electrical, etc.

To be sure this is a Freightliner XC chassis.

Anyone else have an exerpience like this? I'd like to have as much information as possible before we go to the Freightliner dealer with this problem.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:57 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jon, I have had a similar smell experience after applying the brakes hard. It was strong enough that I though something might be burning. It went away after about 10 minutes, so I just forgot about it.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jon, that happened to me a couple of times. The 2nd time was when I took it to have my toad brake system installed. The install tech smelled it too and said the auto slack adjusters were probably a little too tight. He said not to worry about it that it would correct itself. He was right - I've made hard stops several times since then and no smell.

This is not to say that you have the same problem, but it sure sounds like it. You're smart to go to Freightliner and identify the problem for sure.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hey Guys,

This is standard for Diesel Coaches with Air Brakes. Any time you do a hard apply of the air brakes, the shoes inside the drums will heat up and heat up quickly; giving that nice snell of burnt smelly socks. Think of it as a warning with a smell. You can minimis this from happening, if you judge your distance better and give your self more stopping distance, and most importantly USE YOU ENGINE BRAKE, but not on wet or icy roads. I would highly recommend that you read your FreightLiner Owners Manual, especially the section on your Air Brakes.

"Think of this smell as warning, you didn't allow yourself enough time to stop reasonably and/or your Engine Brake was not activated." Learning the use of your Air Brake system will come with time. Remember, your trying to stop a 27,000 lbs box and if you have a tow vehicle, you better have a supplemental braking system in it, otherwise you'll have to add that vehicles weight to the equation and the forces applied.

If you don't have a supplemental braking system(ref: BrakeBuddy), pray you don't have an accident, because you'll be doing a lot of praying for forgiveness if you don't and you have an accident without one. Not to mention, I hope you have deep pockets and good insurance.

Radarr
Old 09-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I use the exhaust brakes on even slight downhill grades and in town to aid with stop/go traffic situations. We have a Tow Brake Internaltion Mountain Master on the toad which really shortens our stopping distances.

Our occasions for having to stop hard were due to unpredictable situations like idiots pulling out in front of us cutting us off..usually a by product of leaving adequate space in front of us. One hard braking situation was 6% downhill grade, 45mph with exhaust brakes engaged when a deer jumped out. This last one was a real stinker.

The smell is more like hydrogen sulfide (burnt almonds) and on two occasions was so strong it severely irritated our noses/throats and we had to stop, get out and let the coach air out. Until recently I was thinking it might be an electrical problem of some kind.

I've now had the opportunity to take my Winnie dealer shop foreman for a test drive and recreated the problem. He says what we are experiencing is way beyond normal and Freightliner must take a look at it. He is going to write a letter to document his opinion so the guys at the FTL Oasis dealer "get it".

Old 04-16-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Finally was able to leave the rig with my Freightliner dealer. The problem was only on the right front wheel and turned out to be a bad slack adjuster.