Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. I have heard that some new Winnebagos are prewired for Unified Tow Brakes. Does this mean I can not use another brand if I buy a new Winnie or can you retrofit other tow brakes. Is there a standard as to wiring tow brakes?

Thanks.

Alex
5JEG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all. I have heard that some new Winnebagos are prewired for Unified Tow Brakes. Does this mean I can not use another brand if I buy a new Winnie or can you retrofit other tow brakes. Is there a standard as to wiring tow brakes?

Thanks.

Alex
5JEG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would call Winnebago Owner Relations and ask them about the specific coach in question. Are you talking about an electric brake controller for a trailer? ...or supplemental braking system for a toad?

I have not had an electric brake controller. My guess is that they would be somewhat similar. I do have a supplemental braking system for my toad. I doubt there is much "standard" about wiring for supplemental braking systems. Actually, there isn't much "wiring" as such for most. Mine ties into the air brake system on the coach, and has one electric wire running to the dash of the coach for a toad brake system monitor light.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Alex,

The term "pre-wired" for US Gear Unified tow brake simply means that Winnebago has made a connection point underneath the dash that can simplify the installation of the US Gear towbreak. It does not limit in any way your selection of braking systems.

However, if you haven't compared the features of the US Gear brake to others, I would suggest that you seriously investigate it.

If I can assist, please let me know.

Mike
TheRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our choice of braking systems came down to US Gear or SMI Silent Partner. We went with Silent Partner primarily because it is wireless operation between the coach and toad (we still use wiring for toad brake/running lights of course.) My buddy has the US Gear product and he is very pleased with it.

Installation in the coach was uncomplicated and I just picked up the appropriate wires from the trailer tow wiring that was bundled on the left side of the dash/floorboard area.

Don't let the prewired thing preclude from buying the braking system you want.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

SMI, a forum sponsor,now makes the Air Force One that is similar to the U.S. Gear.

Why not give them a shot and help support a sponsor that supports your friendly forum?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mike,
I just came acrossed this post from last year. We just purchased a 2007 Itasca Ellipse (Freightliner Evolution Chassis). I want to transfer the brake controller (US Gear Unified Tow Brake) from our Monaco to the Itasca. I'm having a little trouble locating the harness that is installed by Freightliner as far as pre-wiring. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I've looked both side of the steering column underneath, as well as behind the left foot-rest pad after removing it. I really didn't want to start removing zip-ties from the wiring harnesses without knowing the specific region to search. Thanks!
Mike
Knoxville

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRVGuy:
Hi Alex,

The term "pre-wired" for US Gear Unified tow brake simply means that Winnebago has made a connection point underneath the dash that can simplify the installation of the US Gear towbreak. It does not limit in any way your selection of braking systems.

However, if you haven't compared the features of the US Gear brake to others, I would suggest that you seriously investigate it.

If I can assist, please let me know.

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
smike is offline   Reply With Quote