Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just purchased the Itasca Meridian 36G. We're towing a 2007 Jeep Liberty with the Blue Ox Aladdin system. The Liberty is just under 4000 lbs. & the 36G seems to handle this. Do I need an additional braking system?

Doug, Marilyn, Benny & Doodles
powermower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just purchased the Itasca Meridian 36G. We're towing a 2007 Jeep Liberty with the Blue Ox Aladdin system. The Liberty is just under 4000 lbs. & the 36G seems to handle this. Do I need an additional braking system?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have an 05 36G Meridian and use the
Brake Buddy in my 99 Wrangler. I had to really stand on the brakes on the DC Beltway a couple of weeks ago.

Without the Brake Buddy I would have creamed the car in front of me.

I have never towed without an aux brake system and will not in the future. Just good common senbse in my opinion.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

For your safety and others it is advisable to have aux. braking. There is even the possibility of legal questions if you have an accident. Your chassis maker also usually tells yoou about the requirement for braking of towed items.

Many will give you opinions on what product to use for the braking.

I will start by saying that one needs the auxiliary braking primarily for the abrupt stopping situations. Therefore we have been quite satisfied for many years with Brake Buddy.

Now the others will surely give you their opinions.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have towed with the Brake Buddy for over seven years now with no problems at all.
I wlike the others would not tow without it.

2004 Adventurer 33' W20 03Chassis, 4 Koni's, Ultrapower/Taylor Wires
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Doug. I, like the others have towed for 5 years and have always used a braking system. Not only for safety but in a lot of states if you tow anything over 2,000lbs. you have to have it. Also you CYA IN case of an accident. The handbook suggest you use it.

Here's a great sight for deciding which system is best for you.

Towing info site

Be safe
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

You will notice quite a decrease in the panic stopping distance with an auxiliary breaking system ... I am sure that it has saved me from two collisions ...

I never go anywhere without hooking up the auxiliary braks ...

There are lots of good products out there ...

I bought a Brake Buddy in 1999 ... I am pleased with it's performance ... I have received excellent support from the company ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powermower:
Just purchased the Itasca Meridian 36G. We're towing a 2007 Jeep Liberty with the Blue Ox Aladdin system. The Liberty is just under 4000 lbs. & the 36G seems to handle this. Do I need an additional braking system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If registered in NC you are required by law to use an auxiliary braking system if what you are towing weighs more than 4000 lbs.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

According to the Brake Buddy website, for NC any towed vehicle over 4,000 lbs requires a supplemental braking system, Most other states set the limit at 3,000 lbs.

Get one anyway--believe me, the first time some twit cuts you off and you have to stomp on the brakes, you'll be glad you did. It's not so much an issue of whether your MH can tow that weight, it's whether it can stop it again.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone for the information...I'm on my way out tomorrow to get a Brake Buddy or the like installed. Can't believe my dealer & salesperson let me leave the parking lot in GA illegal!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by powermower:
........ The Liberty is just under 4000 lbs. & the 36G seems to handle this. Do I need an additional braking system? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #12

Thanks to everyone for the information...I'm on my way out tomorrow to get a Brake Buddy or the like installed. Can't believe my dealer & salesperson let me leave the parking lot in GA illegal! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is strange, powermower. Our dealer made sure that we knew what the requirements for towing were and suggested a specific* system but didn't put a lot of pressure on us to have them put it in. They even suggested places we could go to have it installed for less money! We decided that it would just be more convenient to have them install it even though a bit more expensive.

*they recommended the Unified Tow Brake by U.S.Gear as did a lot of our friends who have motorhomes.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

This is a giant squabble on other forums, and if you read the state laws rather than trusting what the brake manufacturers say, you will be amazed at how many states don't require them. One of the few times I was proven wrong..

THAT BEING SAID....... At the end of the day, when in the courtroom facing who knows what manslaughter, reckless driving, negligence, etc. charges that the lawyers dream up as the result of an accident, TV breaks loose, etc., while towing, I want every safety precaution commonly available and that the jury understands that I took all reasonable precautions, rather than just flat stating "it's not required in this state". I like owning my house....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

From an engineering view point I have problems with the states that require a trailer over a specific weight requiring brakes, but exempts a towed car. 2500# is 2500# behind the coach and it is an extra load for the RV to stop. A trailer load of 2500# of rocks will exert the same momentum against being stopped as does a 2500# auto. Physics are physics and lawyers and law makers don't have a clue about these issues.

When we had a motor home, I started out without dinghy brakes and felt I need the safety edge when stopping the RV, so I added a dinghy brake system with a break away switch. There were a couple of stops I had to make that I am sure would not have been possible without some assistance from the dinghy. For all of the money you have invested in a motorhome and a dingy, the brake system is a very small percentage of the total cost and I cannot put a $$$ amount on the safety of my family and others irregardless of poorly written state laws.

Ken
Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Hope you never have to find out if you need supplimental braking. You may get away without it (physics) but you may need it by law. Check where you will be traveling. A Brake buddy (type) is simple and does work and can go from vehicle to vehicle relatively easily.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote