Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Need Recommendations for light tow car for 2018 31k

Any suggestions are welcome....want to tow 4 wheels down.....thanks much
mikecav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

We currently tow a 4,000 lb Lincoln MKX and previously towed a Fiat 500. Obviously, the Fiat at 2200 lbs was an easy car to tow and fun to drive. Just not great to drive every day on vacation.

We notice the difference in weight mostly in reduced fuel mileage, but not too much in driving.

We got the Fiat just to tow it when we had a 30 foot Class C. It was very cheap to buy used ($8000). Cheap to insure. And, we sold it 18 months later for $5500.

I should also mention it was 5-speed manual. The only Fiat you can flat-tow.

Other options for light toads are: manual transmission Subarus and manual transmission Honda Fits. Of course the manual transmission Smart car, too. The most popular "light" car is an older Honda CRV. You can tow the automatic CRV as long as it's pre-2014. Many use older Saturn cars for toads as well.

Check the FMCA or Motorhome magazine Flat towing guides for details.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Definitely do your research before you buy. Many newer cars that have manual transmissions are not towable. Overall, it’s a lot like picking the right floor plan. What type of vehicle do you want and how much do you want to spend.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:56 PM   #4
Site Team

We've got a Mini Cooper Roadster that we tow 4-down. It's a 6-speed. They are very lightweight buy not the lightest cars out there though. We don't really need more than 2 seats most of the time so it's working for us.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We've got a Mini Cooper Roadster that we tow 4-down. It's a 6-speed.
I know I see many others out there towing manual transmission Mini's. But the scary fact is that the manufacturer says "NO Flat-towing. Period" even for manual transmission Minis and has done so since the new BMW-Minis first came out.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jeep Wrangler.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
Just Trying to Help

mikecav1-

We tow a 2009 Honda Fit Sport automatic. Confirm with the manual, but any 2014-or-earlier Fit should be able to be towed four-down.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I know I see many others out there towing manual transmission Mini's. But the scary fact is that the manufacturer says "NO Flat-towing. Period" even for manual transmission Minis and has done so since the new BMW-Minis first came out.

They are no really different from just about every other manufacturer in that respect. Not many wants to say "sure go ahead and tow our car down the road". As you said many are doing it without problems. This is our 3rd Mini and people say they aren't reliable but we put 185K on our 2005 before selling that to a buddy that has pushed it long over 200K.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
2018 Vista 35f

Don't forget hitch height

Many (like me) did not consider motor home receiver height. I have a 2018 Winnebago Vista LX 35f and the back end tapers up faitly aggressively (for a lot of reasons a good thing) but it results in a receiver height of 26 ". Keep in mind they recommend for flat towing the the height difference be no more than 2 or 3 " and preferable equal. Most base plate tab heights are in the 13 to 15" range requiring a drop receiver attachment of at least 10" which exceeds winnebagos recommendation.

A great way to "sift" through potential toads is on Blue Ox website by entering the year, make model of toad and it will give you the tab height. Some vehicles have a higher tab height.
RvExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvExplorer View Post
. Most base plate tab heights are in the 13 to 15" range requiring a drop receiver attachment of at least 10" which exceeds winnebagos recommendation.
I know this is so, but check out all the 10" drop attachments being used by everyone. There is really not much choice in the matter. My coach says 4" but that was impossible. 6" was better but still a problem. 10" works well. I tell myself it's OK because it's a SUPER heavy duty drop attachment.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
2018 Vista 35f

I hear ya

I am glad to here you say that because I am running out of affordable options. Sure, easy solution is a wrangler but they are very expensive. I will likely end up with a 10" drop. I will try to compensate with a light weight vehicle so I stay well below the max 5000 lb rating.
RvExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Site Team

Here's the one I got:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...SABEgIpPfD_BwE
Old 08-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Minnie Winnie 31k team

Thanks ...I am considering a MINI...any year and model you recommend?
mikecav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #14
BGR
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Keep in mind that Mini advocated towing prior to I believe the 2009 model year. I don't believe their recommendation has to do with safety or a potential for creating issues for the drivetrain, it's more about liability.

I've personally towed a 2009 R57 S for over seven years and many miles. Tracks beautifully. Did a lot of research and I couldn't find evidence of Mini owner developing problems as a result prior to hitching up.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have towed 2 different Subarus. First was an Impreza w/5 speed manual that required a 10" drop and weighed apx 3K. Now I tow a Forester w/6 speed manual with a 6" drop and it weighs apx 3.3K. Neither seemed to have any effect on handling or gas milage. I really like the flexibility the Forester gives us for less than perfect road conditions, people/pet/cargo hauling, and comfort. It is my only car so reliability is important as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Keep in mind that Mini advocated towing prior to I believe the 2009 model year. I don't believe their recommendation has to do with safety or a potential for creating issues for the drivetrain, it's more about liability.

I've personally towed a 2009 R57 S for over seven years and many miles. Tracks beautifully. Did a lot of research and I couldn't find evidence of Mini owner developing problems as a result prior to hitching up.

We too have an R59. (2013 Cooper S Roadster for those that don't know the designations). We have done about 20K miles towing and about 15K more touring in it. We wanted a convertible. We probably should have gotten another convertible as it does offer rear seats (although pretty unusable most of the time) but we really liked the 2-seater.

To answer the question about what to get. I'd buy used for sure. You'll find less cost in getting a hardtop (and get some storage to go with it.). They will allow for the roof-mounting of a bike rack, kayak, etc. I might have gone that route had the wife not wanted a convertible top. I'd probably stick the the pre-facelift models (I think the facelift was 2016?) Our first Mini was a 2005 Convertible non-S car which is still on the road (sold it to a friend with 180K miles on it and it's now well over 200K). The 2013 we have currently does not have a steering lock so you don't have to have a key in the car while towing.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

A little heavy for you at ~4,500#, a Ford Flex.
The Blue Ox base plate puts the tabs thru the upper grill, they are high. I use a 6 inch rise receiver adapter. A 6 speed AWD it tows great.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I've towed two Ford Fiesta's, the first, a 2012 with the six speed automatic that required you to disconnect the negative side of the battery before towing, and now a 2016 Fiesta with a 5 speed manual. Both are about 2,500 pounds. The newer ones have a higher tab height so I only need a 4" drop on my Sunstar. Almost all the newer Fords can be flat towed.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #19
Site Team

An interesting choice is the Ford C-Max in Hybrid or Energi. It's a bit heavier due to the batteries for the electric part of the vehicle, but kind of interesting, too.

I met a guy with a C-Max Energi toad that flat-towed his car and said in 18 month he had never bought gas for the car. Just recharges at the campground.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:44 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

All great responses to a subject that arises often. Our primary dinghy is a Ford Ranger, XLT, extended cab, automatic transmission that we bought new in 1998 and have maintained as new. Ford says no flat towing. For around $700 had a RemCo shaft conversion installed. Simple pull lever engage/disengage, purely mechanical, maintenance free, has never given us a bit of trouble. And we kept a vehicle we love. (Easy! Remember - beauty is in the eye of the beholder)

When we bought our Journey, we bought a well maintained, used Saturn already set up for towing. Other folks may like them, we hated ours. Didn't have it long.

The point is, you can buy a vehicle that tows, or make a vehicle that tows. Why drive a vehicle you hate just because it flat tows?

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, tow