Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

MPG change when towing a small car

Hello all

We just purchased a 95 Winnebago adventurer 30 Ft with 38,000 miles and we did our maiden voyage. I was really impressed by the 14 MPG at 60 mph. We intend to do about 7000 miles this spring and summer visiting family and all the national parks out west and then back to Maine. The question is, do we need a car for that type of trip, and if I bought a used 4 cylinder whatever, what decrease in mileage should I experience?

Thanks, Looking forward to spring.
jamesranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That is fantastic !! mileage! I get about 8 in my 2004 Adventurer 31 ft with 8.1L and Allison Xmission. I tow a Jeep Liberty weighing about 2 ton, which decreases my MPG slightly, to about 7 MPG. I usually find a need to have a vehicle with me. Every time I am without it, I tell myself I should have towed it. The extra cost is small compared to the convenience.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

It's really up to you. You could always rent a car when you get someplace that you are staying a while. Remember Enterprise will pick you up.
14MPG WOW, let us know what your actual MPG's are during your extended trip.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

14 mpg, wow. Towing may drop your mileage a couple of mpg but you'll still be doing great. Taking a trip that long I would certainly tow some kind of vehicle to go out and see the sights along the way. Make sure you do your research before you buy the toad, so it is capable of the type of towing you plan on doing, ie. dingy, dolly, trailer, etc. Good luck...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Glacier National Park will not allow a 30' motorhome on most of the Going to the Sun highway. I am not sure what the restrictions are in Yosemite.

Yellowstone has no restrictions that I am aware of ... but you will have a hard time finding a parking place for a 30 footer at many of the attractions.

14 mpg ... that is fantastic ... I should be so lucky ... I am on my third motorhome and have only gotten over 10 once ... and that was downhill with a tailwind (Cheyenne, WY to Grand Island, NE) ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Consider renting a Uhaul car carrier and carry a car with you on your next shorter trip. Compare the differences in gas mileage and make a decision if it is worth it to rent or tow.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I can't imagine not having toad along to run to the store, see a movie, or go to nearby attractions. Even places within the park require some sort of transportation other than the coach.
Even some state parks, like Letchworth SP in NY, will require other transportation. There is about a 12 mile gap between the camp ground and the falls, gorges, and a terrific restaurant.
I have yet to spend more than just a couple of days at a park where I did not use the toad.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Many state and national parks have a shuttle service for visitors. I would not attempt to drive even a small car across the going to the sun highway in Glacer NP. The Blackfoot Indian-operated enclosed, heated shuttle bus' make it a very enjoyable scenic trip. Grand Canyon NP, Bryce Canyon, and many others has a shuttle service. The information is on the NPS websites. Renting a car has already been suggested for those times a shuttle is not available.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations!! You probably have the first 454 engine ever to get that great 14 MPG in a 30WQ or a 30RQ MH running 60 MPH.

Or else your calculator may need fixed. You may want to recheck the MPG after totaling gal used in 3-4 fill ups of the 78 gal tank with the total miles driven in those 3-4 tanks. It may be a lot less then 14.

Do that before hooking a toad to it. Or you will be completely discouraged with the MPG with toad attached.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

14 is nearly twice what I get on flat ground with no head wind going 55-60. 14 was better than I got on my 1/2 ton pickup with a 454
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Wow, 14 mpg.....I hope that remains accurate. Regarding getting a toad: yes I have one, but, there have been times I didn't. It is like anything associated with RVing, times without it, have had wonderful stranger campers take us to eat, or to a function or to church. Met some nice people.

When we take a trip to D.C. With the toad, Most times I will take a bus and the subway into D. C. Leave the toad at the camp, just not worth it. We like to take a bus/ trolley in a new place and set next to the driver, they will tell you about the area. See the sites and decide what interests you for future visits.

MPG, with the toad, nice flat ground, minimum stops only small impact, lots of hills, valleys just the opposite. I would say between 1/2 to 1 mpg for the toad as an average.

Goodness, getting 14 mpg, you could hire a limo with your extra cash :-)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Had a 23 ft C and no toad, which was tolerable.

Got an A. We went a while without a toad. With all of the packing/unpacking/parking issues and tight city driving and such, dreaming of a toad became more and more vivid, and unrelenting, even haunting. There was only one thing to do.

Go without. The vision will come to you.

MPG? Well, 14 is a fantastic fantasy. 9 would still be good.

I cannot tell the MPG diff with or without my toad.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

In our 39' Winnebago Adventurer we got about 7-8 MPG average without a toad. Folks with similar models also report roughly in that range and say they see a loss of about .5 MPG when towing.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Is there a new size gallon I am not familiar with? Or was this a typo that should have read 14 litres/100 Km.?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty sure my coach would not get 14 mpg if it was being pulled and the engine was OFF! As for "Toad or No Toad", our coach doesn't move an inch without a toad. All it takes is one break down, mishap, medical emergency of some type, or a whole host of other reasons, and traveling without a toad could be a disaster. It all depends on how you look at things. Yes, shuttles have some value. There's no doubt about that but, the ability to be independent in destinations, how long you stay at a particular spot/area etc. and more is all beneficial of having a toad. Grocery runs, and more.

If you don't mind public transportation, and their schedule(s), then have a ball.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Our Brave gets close to the same MPG towing the Spark (2300lbsToad) as with not towing. When I am hauling a Rzr Ranger and 3 Quads on my car hauler it drops 1mpg as I am hauling 6400lbs.
I don't pay all that much attention to MPG when using the Motorhome. We dry camp most of the time and use the Generator when we need it. I know one thing, its much less costly than staying at motels.
wdbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

When running light vs towing a 3500 lb trailer, I only see a 0.5 mpg difference. 7.5 - 8.0 vs 7.0 - 7.5 mpg, which is running about 62mph.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

towing a car will generally not reduce your MPG. 14 MPG you have ample to play with. I generally on 7 different gas "A"'s got 7.5 overall.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing