Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone pulling honda crv toad with Meridian. i tried 4 inch drop receiver inverted as riser and the toad was to high. i ordered 6 inch drop receiver and now the drop receiver will not slide into receiver far enough because it hits meridian bumper. Just wondering what you use. Thanks

Don

2006 Itasca Meridian 34 ft.-350 cat
PioneerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone pulling honda crv toad with Meridian. i tried 4 inch drop receiver inverted as riser and the toad was to high. i ordered 6 inch drop receiver and now the drop receiver will not slide into receiver far enough because it hits meridian bumper. Just wondering what you use. Thanks

Don

Old 08-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

They do make receiver extenders but I'm sure you'd like to avoid adding one...that would require the use of at least three pins in the hitch setup. Is the shaft on the 6" drop receiver shorter than the 4"? I use an inverted 4" drop receiver to get my tow bar level with a Ford Explorer...wouldn't think changing to a 6" would be a problem.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Smlranger,
Yes when i invert the 6 inch, it is high enough to hit the bumper when i try to slide it into receiver. I hate to shave 3/4 inch off my new coach so it will go into receiver far enough to put pin through. No i really did not want to use extender. I might get custom drop hitch welded 3/4 inch less.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Is the extender bar long enough that it goes clear through the receiver and protrudes out the back of the receiver? If it is, can you pull the extender out an inch or so and redrill another hole for the hitch pin, giving you the length that you need.

If you do extend the bar by drilling a new hole, you want to be absolutely sure it still is engaged for the entire length of the receiver. I'd only consider it if you have plenty of length sticking out the back side of the receiver.

If you look at some towbars, they are drilled with two holes to allow them to be adjusted as to the depth they are inserted into the receiver.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the opposite problem. I use a 6 inch riser with a 03 Horizon and a CR-V. I wanted the riser closer to the coach so I went to a metal shop and had them drill a new hole where I wanted it. If you only need to move the riser out 1 or 2 inches you should be able to do the same.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have the Honda Pilot and the bars from the Meridian hitch slope up to the toad. I was told that having toad higher was no big deal problem. In a panic stop where there are no toad brakes, the front of the toad will lift.

The reverse is not good. When the toad is lower, then the toad tends to lift the back wheels of the coach. This can do wierd things with steering and stability.

I have really good toad brakes and they have saved my bacon in some panic stops where a little two seater scoots in front then slams on the brakes so he can change lanes and not miss his exit... I have never had the toad crawl up on the bumper.
Walt
Old 09-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Walt,
I think it is the other way around. The angle should never go down toward motorhome from car, it should be level or no more than 4 inches higher at motorhome. Here is what blue ox says

"Blue Ox's recommendation is that the receiver hitch of the motorhome should never be more than 4 inches higher than the baseplate attachment points. Four inches or less keeps the tow bar level with the ground or slightly angled up towards the coach from the car. The tow bar should never be angled "up" towards the car from the coach.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Pioneer,
YOur post made me check out the Roadmaster site. I am within the four inch limit.

From Roadmaster:
Towing with a motorhome-mounted tow bar which has an upward or downward
slope puts undue strain on the entire towing system. DO NOT TOW if
the tow bar is not within the ˜Safe Zone' "” no more than 3 inches above
level or 4 inches below level. Towing a vehicle with a tow bar that is not
within the Safe Zone will result in significant wear and tear on the tow bar
and brackets, significant wear and tear on the vehicle's suspension and frame,
and the eventual failure of your towing system."

According to that, a bit more up slope from toad to coach is tolerable than down slope, but only by one inch.

Thanks for making me check it out.

Walt
Old 09-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Walt for the update. I had never read that the slope could be up toward the toad. But apparently there is a range of 3 to 4 inches either up or down. By the way do you have the correct part numbers on the fuel filters. I have heard so many different numbers that i am now confused. I plan to carry spares on the two filters in case i get bad fuel and clog them up on the road.
Thanks