Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Looking for used 4x4 toad - suggestions?

Hi, I have a Aspect 30C and would like to buy a used 4X4 to tow. I have an Xterra, but it's kind of heavy. I am interested in what other members are towing and if you might have some suggestions on a lighter weight vehicle? I've had some bad experiences in the past with towing and tranny problems, so I'm very cautious. I would like to flat tow. Thanks for your help!
deesnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

FWIW I'm curious too. It does not seem like there are any smaller SUV's left with ground clearance and 4x4.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Lots of people including me tow a Jeep Wrangler. They are not that heavy and tow very nicely.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jeep.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a Jeep Wrangler. Took several months looking and finally found an 09 with only 23,000 miles on it. Really glad I listened to others on the forum and got the Wrangler.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Honda CRV = 3,358 to 3,624 lbs

Jeep Wrangler = 3,879 to 4,921 lbs

Nissan Xterra = 4,140 to 4,425 lbs

I tow a Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Wrangler and Jeep Liberty are both available in true 4X4. For AWD, the Honda CRV and manual trans Subarus are good toads.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Chevy Colorado
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

09 Pontiac G5 3000 lbs
Old 01-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
09 Pontiac G5 3000 lbs
And these are available in 4 wheel drive like the OP is looking for?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
And these are available in 4 wheel drive like the OP is looking for?
Definitely.....in fact, colorado MUST be 4X4 to tow flat (and have the 2 speed transfer case with neutral)
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesnest View Post
Hi, I have a Aspect 30C and would like to buy a used 4X4 to tow. I have an Xterra, but it's kind of heavy. I am interested in what other members are towing and if you might have some suggestions on a lighter weight vehicle? I've had some bad experiences in the past with towing and tranny problems, so I'm very cautious. I would like to flat tow. Thanks for your help!
deesnest,
Well Sir, as you can read, there's a few 4x4s on the market that can be flat towed. But by far, obviously the most common one is the Jeep. Now, just which "jeep" to choose for your endeavor, well, there's some things either we (as the ones trying to help here) or you, the one that will be ultimately using it, need to know before you really narrow it down. This of course is depending IF you choose a Jeep in the first place.

Cost is a driving factor for many. And that means older. Just how old, well, it depends on what you're willing to spend. 99.9999% of the time, newer means better technology, more efficient, better fuel mileage, better suspension, and quite a bit more. But, newer means more cost. If cost is not a factor, then, you now have to determine what level of a Jeep you might like.

And with that is, what's the intent of this "4x4"? Are you planning on actually running around in the "outback"? That is, doing actually four wheel drive type off roading? To go a step further, what kind of four wheeling, light, medium or, in to more what's called "hard core" stuff. I could go on for hours here trying to help you understand or, help with you making a decision. But, you need to ask what this 4x4 will be used for. Will it be half and half, road and on road?

And, "hard core" doesn't really mean "rock crawling" as some think. Hard core can be fun, challenging trails, areas, mountain roads with some tougher spots and that kind of stuff.

But, if all you plan on is a light dirt road once in a while or, maybe a run to a local ski resort and you think you need 4-by for that, then you certainly don't need the higher tech ones like a Rubicon model. We kind-a need to know what the intent of this 4x4 is to be used for.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I thought I responded but don't find it. Looking for used you might consider a Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick. Small, light economic and fun to drive. I towed a sidekick for a few years but wanted more space.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We've been towing both a 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 1998 Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Sidekick) behind our 2004 Journey 36G. You can't tell the Tracker is there at just under 3000lbs. At around 4500lbs, the Cherokee is obvious on long grades, but still not an anchor. We're just getting ready to trade the Tracker out for a 2005 Subaru Forester (manual) because of other driving considerations. The Tracker is a fantastic TOAD, but I also use it for a commuter, and the Subie is just a bit more plush.

Tracker/Sidekicks are cheap and reliable, and have both 4-wheel high and low range. In the winter, I very rarely use 4X4. The engine is a 1.6 to 1.8L. Sufficient for highway driving, but it will be wound out, and you will not carry a heavy load. Parts are also getting harder to find on the earlier models. I'll actually hate to see this one go, but I think the Forester will suit us better when we are not towing it. One note on the Tracker/Sidekicks if you decide to go older: Look for a manual, and be prepared to change out the automatic front hubs for manual hubs.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have been towing a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 (5800 lbs) for 15 years and 115,000 miles with no problems. Push botton on dash places transfer case in netural. Room inside to to store bikes. Its heavy but only noticeable when climbing. If you really want a lighter vehicle try the Ford Fusion Hybrid. It has a gasoline engine on one axle and an electric engine on the other axle. I beleive you can run both engines at the same time thus giving 4x4 equivalent. It is towable 4 down.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:50 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
We have a Ford Edge AWD and it tows nice. It weighs about 4200 lbs
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I thought I responded but don't find it. Looking for used you might consider a Suzuki Samurai or Sidekick. Small, light economic and fun to drive. I towed a sidekick for a few years but wanted more space.
Those were my choices as well and we've been towing one for about the last 15 years. First a Samurai with good ground clearance, but under powered with a stock engine, then a Tracker (basically a Sidekick with a different name) with a little less ground clearance, but with more power and a better ride. I believe weight is around 2200-2300 lbs (some later models got bigger and heavier) and they are both available with tin top, convertible, or convertible with fiberglass hardtop. Mileage with the Tracker is around 25-30 mpg and they are capable of 70-75 on the freeway at about 4k rpm. Ours is a '92 4X4 5 speed manual tin top (we have a Triumph Spit 6 for top down driving). Very versatile little rigs. When going to the woods we carry a Honda CT 90 on each end of the Tracker and if the weather is good we ride the 90s and if it rains we use the Tracker.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I noticed that most replies were from owners of Class A's. I would imagine that you all have a bit more towing power than my Class C? I greatly appreciate all the suggestions. I'd like to keep the 4X4 ability for my occasional trip to the beach while at home. I don't really need it for the road trips, but I'm sure it will come in handy. I thought I might try to travel without the toad for my first adventure and see how much I really need a toad. I'm sure it won't be long until I have to have one! Thanks everyone!
deesnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Our towing has all been with a TC, from '93 until the present with a '92 11.5 Caribou and '89 Dodge Cummins W250 4WD. Late this Summer we got our first class A, a '93 26' 454 powered Flair. We did tow the Geo Metro back from Victorville, Ca to Phoenix, OR after driving it down to get the MH. Both the TC and MH worked just fine because the toads are light which was an important consideration for me when choosing them. A heavy toad could be a different story.

We traveled for a lot of years without a toad because our TC was only about the same length as a crew cab pickup and we could also use it to run around when we needed to. However, it is more convenient to have a toad, and it provides another source of transportation if there is a mechanical problem with the RV. IMHO, a toad would be almost imperative to have with something like a 40' MH.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:39 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I noticed that most replies were from owners of Class A's. I would imagine that you all have a bit more towing power than my Class C? I greatly appreciate all the suggestions. I'd like to keep the 4X4 ability for my occasional trip to the beach while at home. I don't really need it for the road trips, but I'm sure it will come in handy. I thought I might try to travel without the toad for my first adventure and see how much I really need a toad. I'm sure it won't be long until I have to have one! Thanks everyone!
We did the small C no towed route for several years. Moved up to a large C then added a Ford Escape as a towed. **Much Better** Now looking at a shorter A for more living space in a 30 ft footprint. We do not need a 4 wd in sunny western ny but would like a smaller 4 wd for beach and off road. Just nothing left new.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad