Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

installation of mounting bracket on tow/car

Hello,
Looking for referrals for someone to install mounting plate-bracket on a 2013 Honda CRV. We plan to flat tow it behind our Winnebago 32H Adventurer. We obtained a few quotes at local RV show in Minneapolis, MN. However, $4200-$4500 seems high. Any suggestions as to who may install at a more reasonable price? We can travel out of the metro area if needed.
Thanks for your help.
jsbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My local Camping World wanted $8000 to put a tow bracket on my Jeep Unlimited. Ended up doing it myself. There are many excellent videos on these installations! It's not hard if you take your time.
Terry in Kalamazoo.
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

That seems a bit high to just install a baseplate, did that quote include the entire system?

I got a dealer quote at the Hershey RV show of $4,000.00 but that included installation of a Stay-N-Play braking system, wiring harness, tow bar, and accessories ready to tow a 2014 Equinox. A bit high for me too, so I installed all of the above myself for about $2,300.00 for the equipment and a weekend in my garage with YouTube.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I mounted the Blue Ox base plate and tow bar on our 2002 Jeep Wrangler myself, and then ran wires from the front connection to the back lights myself. Nothing was difficult, and I did not use lift or air tools... The extra $2-3,000 is the labor cost. Good luck.
patoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Did my own installation on our 2012 CRV AWD using the eTrailer as my parts provider and great videos. Did it over several days in my spare time.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Site Team

We had a local Independent RV shop install ours for $400, including wiring the lights. We purchased the baseplate and wiring kit from eTrailer. I can’t imagine paying any more for such a simple job. On our first motorhome in 2015 we had a different toad. We found a local guy advertising on Craig’s List that came to the house did the job for $250. We would have used him again but he moved away. He was quite busy doing 2 - 3 installs a day.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I am from the Minneapolis area also and after getting quotes up here i decided to do our Jeep GC this week also using etrailer videos as a guide even though our GC looks a little imposing with having to remove/replace the entire front fascia which has the ACC and side radar sensors built into it. Hoping it will only take two days but budgeting three.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Check out your local trailer hitch shops for prices. If you're mechanically inclined, it's definitely doable as a DIY job. The CRV is a common toad so there are videos on line. I believe the job is quoted by Blue Ox as a three hour job so use that times a prevailing labor rate to evaluate bids. As a DIY job, count on at least twice as long if not more. It's easier if you have help. The toughest part is drilling some holes in the front frame member so have extra drill bits and, if your CRV is anything like my Odyssey, a right angle drill will help as will a reciprocating saw since there is a little cutting. Removing and replacing the plastic front-end fascia without breaking anything can be challenging.

And don't judge things by what Jeep owners have to say. Most jeeps are much easier to do than a CRV.

There are numerous threads on this topic on both Winnieowners and IRV2, so check them out.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
Site Team

I did the initial install on our Mini Cooper. Getting the front bumper off was the most challenging issue I ran into.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Good places to check for base plate installations and wiring are local hitch shops and UHaul dealers. They have the experience to do the work and will often be far less expensive than dealers.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You are far from us, but by way of comparison......

I purchased base plates to fit my 1998 Ford Ranger EXT. Intended to install myself. But Tucson Driveline was installing the RemCo shaft conversion, so....

Tucson Driveline installed the baseplates, the RemCo and and the tail light harness for $1200. 2016 price.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Winnie to Go

Looking at a 2012 CRV likewise. What was your cost thru eTrailer please?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

base plate install

Call the manufacturer of your base plate for a recommendation. We just had one installed on my wife's 2019 buick. We live close to the Canadian border and ended up taking it to a recommended hitch place in Canada. We had purchased the base plate. and they installed it for under $700.00 Canadian. That included the install of the brake away switch wiring as well. I looked at the directions and it was a very complex install that I would not undertake myself. $4000 plus sounds like a bit of a rip or from someone who is not familiar with the job and is just giving a CYA bid.
marcusf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

One other suggestion

After getting the hitch attachments finished, you will probably want to look into a braking system for the toad.
I don't suggest using the removable type that is put on the drivers floor, if (and that's a big IF) you make numerous short stays on your travels. Gets to be a big PITA after a while. Did that for 10 years! If you travel, then stay put for a while, it's do-able.

Here is my suggestion, from experience. There are other brands out there, but I installed the Roadmaster Invisi-Brake system on out Saturn Vue. What a huge difference! It is a bigger installation, but now all I do is connect the hitch, plug in the electrical cord, and I'm done. No more hauling those boxes in and out, with all the wiring involved and kneeling on the ground. Another benefit is that the toad brakes now work as actual power brakes (with vacuum power).

Just a suggestion,
Happy travels,
Richard
Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Happy Camper

Try a local Auto body and fender repair shop. I installed a tow bracket and Stay in Play system on my 2012 Ford Focus for the cost of the material, I'm 69 and had no problems. Was truly surprised how easy it was to remove the front of the Focus. If you do the install on a Ford Focus remember to install the diodes on the tail lights and a battery disconnect switch on the battery.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJoyce View Post
Looking at a 2012 CRV likewise. What was your cost thru eTrailer please?
$415
https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...21567-5.html#/
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Give Jesse Lesmeister of ExpertTruck & Rv Service a call at 507-367-2333. He his company has been maintaining my RV for14 years and installed baseplate in my CRV back in 2007. Been working perfectly since then. ExpertTruck & RV is in Oronoco MN, about 60 miles south of you.

Alfred
Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

I also did my own base plate install to save some coin, it took me about 6-7 hours including the wiring job. Most is one person work but I grabbed a helper to help hold the base plate when mounting it. Expect to break some of Honda's plastic clips that hold the bumper cover on when you pry it off. You can get more of them for a few bucks at a Honda dealer.

I included what's called a charge line in my install where your RV feeds power to your tow car so you don't run down the tow car's battery even if you have to put the key to position 1 to unlock the steering wheel when you don't pull any fuses. The power from the RV comes in thru the 7 to 6 cable.

Here's what the parts cost was for me to tow a Honda from 3 years ago, $ 2500 These were almost all purchased from Blue Ox thru Amazon.com

Likely this is up to about $ 2700 or 2800 now ...

Base Plate 380
7 way to 6 way coil cable 77
Tow Car Tail light Wiring Kit 50
Charge Line Protector Box for Tow Car 50
Tow Bar 567
Tow Bar Cover 36
Patriot Brake 1130
Drop Bar 100
Locks Set 66
Install supplies (drill bits, replacement clips, electrical taps, etc.) 44

The installed prices seem to be so high because of how much they mark up the parts in addition to the labor charges.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I recommend the Ready Brake braking system or, if you don't already have a tow bar, the Ready Brute Elite which includes a tow bar. And, don't forget to install a break-away braking system regardless of what primary braking system you choose.

The Ready Brake system is effective, economical, easy to hook and unhook and is purely mechanical, so no electronics to fail.

http://www.readybrake.com/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Under the "for what it's worth category", you may want to check your owners manual about using a surge brake. My manual specifically warns against using one at all. I've had folks tell me that's only if you're using a ball hitch, however it says "especially if using a ball hitch". I read it as a warning not to use one at all. Just a heads up...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Surge Brake Manual.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	171286  

Tags
install, tow