Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2019, 11:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I bought the BX2258-65 Blue Ox kit for our 2012 Honda CR-V from Blue Ox Towing (not affiliated with Blue Ox) which had all the Blue Ox hardware included from the baseplate to towbars and safety cables. Wiring harness were not included, I ordered that from Amazon. I too was getting quotes for 8-11 hours labor at $150/hr to install everything including the harness. I'm not very mechanically, my son is a bit more than me and certainly more agile agreed to help with the install. Keeping the iPad very close with the YouTube video showing the step by step install (Thanks eTrailer), we got the bracket installed in right at 3 hours. Honda seems to have learned a lesson about towing by the time the 2012's came around, there was nothing really difficult about the install, certainty not worth the $800-$900 folks are charging if we could do it in 3 hours having never done anything like it in the past. There was no metal cutting, when you remove the factory bracket the Blue Ox bracket slides right in in it's place. We did break several of the little plastic bumper clips but readily available at local parts store (ours wanted $2 each so off to Amazon I went, about .10 each there). I ran the tail light harness today by myself but I did get lucky when a local auto shop let me use their lift while they were at lunch, that took less than an hour. I believe the 2012-2014s are all the same when it comes to mounting these brackets
Rishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by neub View Post
I am from the Minneapolis area also and after getting quotes up here i decided to do our Jeep GC this week also using etrailer videos as a guide even though our GC looks a little imposing with having to remove/replace the entire front fascia which has the ACC and side radar sensors built into it. Hoping it will only take two days but budgeting three.
Excited to read an update, because I am somewhat intimidated by the faciia removal too.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #23
Pensioner

Base Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrand View Post
Hello,
Looking for referrals for someone to install mounting plate-bracket on a 2013 Honda CRV. We plan to flat tow it behind our Winnebago 32H Adventurer. We obtained a few quotes at local RV show in Minneapolis, MN. However, $4200-$4500 seems high. Any suggestions as to who may install at a more reasonable price? We can travel out of the metro area if needed.
Thanks for your help.
I had Camping World, Greenwood, IN do mine. It only took 5 weeks. Your experience may be different. Never. Again
SnKPerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Excited to read an update, because I am somewhat intimidated by the faciia removal too.
1. Have help, it's big and floppy.
2. Work slowly and carefully.
3. Don't force anything.
4. Be especially careful around headlights, etc.
5. When re-installing, sometimes a sharp rap with the heel of your hand is needed snap things in place. But make sure things are in the right spot first.

Once it's off, make sure everything is fine before you re-install. This means if you're installing a braking system, like ReadyBrake that requires having the fascia off, make sure it's done before reinstallation.

You don't want to do this two, three, or more times -- don't ask me how I know this.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:25 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
1. Have help, it's big and floppy.
2. Work slowly and carefully.
3. Don't force anything.
4. Be especially careful around headlights, etc.
5. When re-installing, sometimes a sharp rap with the heel of your hand is needed snap things in place. But make sure things are in the right spot first.

Once it's off, make sure everything is fine before you re-install. This means if you're installing a braking system, like ReadyBrake that requires having the fascia off, make sure it's done before reinstallation.

You don't want to do this two, three, or more times -- don't ask me how I know this.
Oh man...yes to doing it all at once. I'm definitely sold on the whole Ready Brute Elite and Ready brake system for this.
bdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:06 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Oh man...yes to doing it all at once. I'm definitely sold on the whole Ready Brute Elite and Ready brake system for this.
Even though it's sold separately and not packaged with the Ready Brute or Ready Brake, the ReadyStop breakaway brake system is, IMHO, essential and required by many, if not most states. There was a recent thread, either here or on IRV2 where a new RV'r had a ReadyBrake system installed by an RV dealer and was never advised as such.

If you run into any snags at all, call ReadyBrake. Their installation tech spent about 15, patient minutes with me on the phone talking through a couple of questions I had.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #27
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Purchased 2010 Chevy Equinox with only 73k miles and did it myself. Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Vantage tow bar, RVi3 brake system, Rvi3 toad lighting package (these are custom to vehicle so no cutting and splicing required..plugged into tail light and ran wire to front), RVi3 Towed Battery Charger and battery to brake unit power supply.

Was hard to put nuts on bolts for Base Plate, are 4 on each side and you have to run the nut up to the bolt through a 1.5" square hole in the hollow frame. The heavy duty nuts are about 1.5" square and attached to a 14" long piece of 10 gauge steel wire...took me hours to get them lined up and tightened as you can't see much through that small hole and wires must be bent to proper angels to allow alignment with bolt but everything else was easy. youTube videos custom to my vehicle were a big help.

Blue Ox does say 3 hours but that is for an experienced installer...count of 6 for you and that is if you are handly. A lot of time spent laying on your back under the vehicle. I am very proud to say that EVERYTHING worked first time.

I recommend the RVi3 brake..it is amazing. Senses when the RV slows down and applies the brakes to the toad...you have a tablet in the cab that shows the status and you can manually apply the brakes and adjust the sensitivity while driving. Very easy to install as running the breakaway switch wiring to the unit is only item taking time.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:36 PM   #28
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Here is link to RVi3 brake system...really, this is the best!

https://rvibrake.com/collections/fla...SAAEgL5z_D_BwE
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Although I'm not a fan, Camping World has had a couple of "install anything for $59" deals in the last few weeks. Of course you need to purchase the items from them. Keep your eyes open for more such ads.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #30
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Read small print and notice the asterisk. I got quotes from Camping World prior to diy...$650 just to do baseplate another $250 to install wiring for lighting and RVi3 brake system. That’s with my parts ��

Tags
install, tow