Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The tech that installed the tow-bar brackets on my new CR/V showed me cracks in the mounting plate of my Roadmaster tow bar.

This most likely happened when I made a sharp turn with only one of the two bars fully extended in the locked position. The recommended procedure is to lock both bars in position by backing up the dinghy. I always did it by pulling the rig forward. A $600 lesson. I cannot recal the manual offering this advise.

arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The tech that installed the tow-bar brackets on my new CR/V showed me cracks in the mounting plate of my Roadmaster tow bar.

This most likely happened when I made a sharp turn with only one of the two bars fully extended in the locked position. The recommended procedure is to lock both bars in position by backing up the dinghy. I always did it by pulling the rig forward. A $600 lesson. I cannot recal the manual offering this advise.

arne

Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Oh man, thanks for the tip.

Being a fairly new RVer, I just assumed it was ok to let the arms lock by themselves . I even think that's what the guy who installed the brackets and showed me how the tow bar works, told me how it happens. I never thought to back the car up against the bar to lock the arms.

I guess I better start doing that.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #4

I never back my toad up to lock the arms....I always drive my motorhome forward to lock the arms and sometimes make a turn before both are locked.

This is the first I have EVER heard of backing up the dingy to lock the arms.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Arne, a little more information if you would.. Where and of what magnatude were the cracks. Were they easily visable?.. I also, have always "just let them lock up" as I pulled away.. Thanks for the caution...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I think Arne means hook up the toad and then with the RV parked and stationary get in the toad and back it up slightly until the bars lock.

The men who installed mine told me to just drive the RV slowly forward until they lock into position.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar ...

After attaching the tow bar to the toad, I back up until one of the arms lock, then I cramp the wheels of the toad slightly in the direction of the arm that did not lock ...

As I drive forward the toad will extend the unlocked arm until it locks ...

I always do a "wiggle-waggle" and look back in my mirrors as I drive away to make sure that the front wheels of the toad are castering (turning) correctly
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Since most of us use a tow bar I would like to see a photo of the area where the cracks are in your tow bar or CRV brackets.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #9
I helped | retired moderator

IMHO, a good habit would be to stop after moving the MH ahead a bit, and walking back to the toad to insure both arms are locked, and the drive train is free wheeling.

I have seen quite a few skid marks left by the toads of folks who thought they were ready to go, but were not.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately my Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow-bar is already on the scrap heap, so I cannot post a picture. As best I can describe it, the (heavy duty) triangular piece of metal to which the two tow bars were attached wast twisted. This caused a 1/2" tear on the right side if the plate. I found the problem when I was unable to placethe tow-bar into its folded storage position.

Hope this helps.

arne

Old 03-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #11

Arne, did you back up your motorhome with your toad attached?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Locking the tow bar? Whats that all about? I have a blue ox tow bar and this is the first I have heard about locking the tow bar.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer
I have not knowingly backed up.

arne

Old 03-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codgerbill:
Locking the tow bar? Whats that all about? I have a blue ox tow bar and this is the first I have heard about locking the tow bar. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doesn't yours have those little release levers on both arms? I'm assuming that most tow bars now have those but maybe not?

The arms move in and out while hooking and un-hooking and lock into place while moving normally down the road.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

If it is a Roadmaster tow bar, it is NOT a $600 mistake. Call Roadmaster. If they can fix it, they will do it for free, INCLUDING the return shipping. (By the way, they are a bear to pack up - I just did Saturday.) Backed up 6 inches, and bent one bar.

If they can't repair it, they will sell you a re-furbished bar for $250 to $300. this is OUTSIDE the warranty period.They are real nice out there. Their phone number is:

800 669-3630 If it is another brand, I would not know, but it would be interesting on how the manufacture handles it.
Blue Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #16

Blue Ribbon....Arne said he threw it away already.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Put me in the group that hooks up and eases up to lock the arms. I can hear them lock through the rear monitor.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Doesn't yours have those little release levers on both arms? I'm assuming that most tow bars now have those but maybe not?

The arms move in and out while hooking and un-hooking and lock into place while moving normally down the road.

--'rocco </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rocco,
My Blue Ox towbar does have those release levers. In the past I just pulled the toad up, connected the toad and then drove off. How does one know for sure that the tow bar is locked? What do the voices of experience do to insure that the bar is locked prior to driveing the MH off into the wild blue yonder? Do I need to lose a nites sleep wonderin about it?
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Here's an excerpt from BluOx's web page. It is from Towing 101 under the Tech Tips/Articles tab:

Self-aligning tow bars provide you with the opportunity to hook up by yourself. The self-aligning feature allows you to drive up close to the motorhome and then let the tow bar adjust to the vehicle's position. Then the tow bar will extend out to its rigid tow position as you pull ahead with the motorhome.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #20
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How does one know for sure that the tow bar is locked? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The levers will be in the up position when the tow bar arms are locked.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote