Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How heavy can I tow?

With the grandkids wanting to travel with us I would like to tow a larger vehicle. My 2005 38ft Adventurer on the Workhorse 8.1 chassis pulls my Saturn Vue around just fine. The Vue weighs 3,900 plus or minus depending on stuff I stick inside. Sits 4 comfortably 5 squish in. I am thinking about a Ford Flex or Chevy Traverse. Both are just under 5,000lbs according to FMCA and Motorhome towing guides. However, after being an RV vacationer for over 35 years I like to ask the experts. How heavy have you guys and gals towed with similar gas engine motorhomes?
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #2

At one time I towed a Jeep Wrangler on a heavy steel trailer with no trailer brakes. About 7,500 pounds. No problem at all with the Ford V10, with the tow haul mode on it slows you like a jake brake. Now we tow a Ford Escape on a all aluminum trailer with brakes. About 5,000 pounds which is my tow rating max. Can't tell much difference between the 5K and the 7.5K which was way over the limit. Tow what you want and feels comfortable to you.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

A few questions.
Do you have a current , loaded for travel weight ?
Can you post your weight, GVWR and GCWR ?
Is your current, hitch & tow bar rated for 5,000, 7,500 or 10,000?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My GVWR is 24k, the GCWR is 30K. Not sure on the hitch, I think it is 5K with a 350lb max tongue weight (the sticker is rubbed out). But my son-in-law has a welding shop and can rate or improve the hitch. My real concern is will taking my load up to the max horribly affect the handling of my lovely Adventurer. We just came back from a trip to Sacramento, taking the rig over the Grapevine with the Saturn in tow. It handles effortlessly, taking the 8 mile 5% grade at 45 to 50 mph without strain. Everyone's experiences with a heavy load and a gas rig are greatly appreciated.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
My GVWR is 24k, the GCWR is 30K. Not sure on the hitch, I think it is 5K with a 350lb max tongue weight (the sticker is rubbed out). But my son-in-law has a welding shop and can rate or improve the hitch. My real concern is will taking my load up to the max horribly affect the handling of my lovely Adventurer. We just came back from a trip to Sacramento, taking the rig over the Grapevine with the Saturn in tow. It handles effortlessly, taking the 8 mile 5% grade at 45 to 50 mph without strain. Everyone's experiences with a heavy load and a gas rig are greatly appreciated.

Building a stronger hitch will not be a guarantee of greater capacity. Gas motorhomes frequently have frame extensions added to handle the overall length of the "house". That needs to be understood before trying to reinforce the hitch. I am stuck with 3500# on my earlier model MH.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We all want to be safe and within tolerances that are given to us by the motorhome manufacturers. Max tongue weights and max tow weights based on MH extensions etc. and it all comes down to a 5/8" or 3/4" hitch pin holding things together? Makes you wonder! I had a hitch on the motorhome that had a sticker stating 500# max but Winnebago said 350#. I had it replaced with a much beefier hitch just to be safer cause I tow an F150 4x4 (approx 4800#) with the ability to load my motorcycle in the back which would take it over the original max of 5000# but still under the GCWR.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
We all want to be safe and within tolerances that are given to us by the motorhome manufacturers. Max tongue weights and max tow weights based on MH extensions etc. and it all comes down to a 5/8" or 3/4" hitch pin holding things together? Makes you wonder! I had a hitch on the motorhome that had a sticker stating 500# max but Winnebago said 350#. I had it replaced with a much beefier hitch just to be safer cause I tow an F150 4x4 (approx 4800#) with the ability to load my motorcycle in the back which would take it over the original max of 5000# but still under the GCWR.

Obviously it is working for you. However; I think it safe to say Winnebago rated the 500# hitch lower due to the frame extension structure. Without a doubt Winny and others rate the hitch at something less than the calculated failure point, and it can probably be "crowded" somewhat. Mine is rated at 3500 and looking at it I am pretty religious on what I hook on back there.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

Obviously it is working for you. However; I think it safe to say Winnebago rated the 500# hitch lower due to the frame extension structure. Without a doubt Winny and others rate the hitch at something less than the calculated failure point, and it can probably be "crowded" somewhat. Mine is rated at 3500 and looking at it I am pretty religious on what I hook on back there.
I agree, please don't take what I said as taking things lightly at all. I have checked things from every which way before I decided to go with what I have. I also agree that manufacturers have a certain CYA factor in their figures as I would do also. I really have no downward weight force on my hitch and go nowhere without aux braking system. I feel comfortable with what I tow but would not add to it.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote