Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 08:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How do I know my toad has a flat?

I don't have a TPMS system that supports my toad (soon to remedy) but I was wondering, if you're cruising down the highway and your toad gets a flat, what are the indications to the driver of the motorhome?
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Not too many according to previous reports. Some report smoke but very few report the coach being shaken by vibrations through the tow bar. Most report that other drivers have told them they have a problem. Get your TPMS.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yup, get a TPMS, only two days if you have Amazon Prime. IMHO, it's not worth the risk.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #4
2014 Journey 36M

Never had that happen, but wouldn't the toad exhibit some erratic movement (especially if it were a front tire) that would be visible in the rear view camera? But reckon the TPMS would be the best solution...
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Probably other drivers, pointing frantically and honking.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 01:17 PM   #6
Site Team

The day we cut a tire on our toad the TPMS system paid for itself. I had no indication otherwise that the tire went flat.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We had a tire blow out and there wasn't any indication, no vibration, noise, nothing except the tire monitor indicated no air in the tire. It paid for itself by not ruining the aluminum wheel, which would have cost as much as a TPMS. We were in an area that there wasn't any traffic and we would have dragged it for miles and not known it.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

How Do I Know My Toad Has A Flat?

Please post the brand and model of TPMS you have. I already have a car with TPMS. Which one do you have that provides remote monitoring?
Thanks.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

SarahW has experience as do I. Other motorists will let you know!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I use Erztire tpms and have been real satisfied with its performance. https://eezrvproducts.com/eezrv-tpms-info
Old 10-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brican View Post
Please post the brand and model of TPMS you have. I already have a car with TPMS. Which one do you have that provides remote monitoring?
Thanks.
I have a Tire Safe-Guard system with six cap style sensors. They make a 10 sensor system and I've sent them an email to see if there is someway I can upgrade my present system to a ten sensor one, without buying a whole new system.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have the EEZ TPMS with 10 non-flowthrough sensors. So far, so good but I need to figure out how to turn off the toad sensors when I'm not towing. Otherwise it beeps to tell me it's not seeing them. I guess I'll have to read the instructions.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I have the EEZ TPMS with 10 non-flowthrough sensors. So far, so good but I need to figure out how to turn off the toad sensors when I'm not towing. Otherwise it beeps to tell me it's not seeing them. I guess I'll have to read the instructions.
I’ve got the EEzEV unit with 10 sensors too but mine just ignores the missing sensors when driving without the toad? My unit is about 2 years old is yours newer or older?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I have the TPMS you can get with the RMI aux brake system. It lets you know if you’re getting low air pressure in the tire as well as high temperature which could be an indication of a brake is not releasing fully.
Dioji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

There have been cases of toads with flat tires starting fires. I remember one in particular that started multiple fires in the Southwest when the driver, unaware of the tire, drove many, many miles with it flat. The RV driver was sued by the federal government. I do not recall the amount but it was in the millions.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

EEzEV has some very bad reviews on Amazon. A lot of failures and poor customer service.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I’ve got the EEzEV unit with 10 sensors too but mine just ignores the missing sensors when driving without the toad? My unit is about 2 years old is yours newer or older?
Mine is only a few months old and it beeps periodically when the toad isn't there. I think, but I'm not sure without checking, that it only does this when connected to power.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
I don't have a TPMS system that supports my toad (soon to remedy) but I was wondering, if you're cruising down the highway and your toad gets a flat, what are the indications to the driver of the motorhome?

A flat on our towing dolly happened to us. We did not know it was flat till someone driving up beside us pointed it out. We were driving a 40 ft and towing a dolly with a mercedes on it. Maybe if your rig was not as big, just maybe you might feel it.
Tracky101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Toad Has Flat

My Honda CRV had a right front flat as I go down I-12 in LA. Did not know until drivers started pointing to my rear. Smoke was billowing. Pulled over to put out fires inside both front tires. My toad braking system reacted to the flat by applying the toad brakes, thinking I was braking. Cost to replace all the brakes and electronics exceeded car value and it was totaled. Get the TMS!
Poppab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Truck System Technologies/TST, is perhaps the most widely known tire pressure monitioring system in the RVing community. They have flow-through monitors, cap style monitor, and now they have interior monitors like your car or pickup available.
As of yet there is no way to use your stock OEM monitors on your towed with any aftermarket TPMS, so those would have to be replaced with the TST interior monitors as well as being installed on your towing vehicle.

As to knowing if you have a failed tired on the towed, someone else must tell you if you are not constantly watching the towed for smoke or sparks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad