Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Handling problems, heavy tongue weight

My truck handles poorly towing an unloaded Winnebago trailer with 940 lbs. tongue weight. Feels like the trailer is pushing the backend of the truck around even with a load leveling, anti-sway hitch. No problem pulling it but a lot of problem controlling it.

It has P275 tires and wonder if LT275 tires will resolve it. The trailer was delivered 250 lbs. over the stated tongue weight of 695.

F150 2016 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, max tow capacity = 11,500, max tongue weight = 1150 lbs.
BlueOx weight distribution hitch with 1500 lbs. bars
2018 Winnebago 2500RL, UNLOADED weight = 5380 lbs, tongue =940 lbs.
Edwin764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It could be the hitch setup, too much weight on the tongue or you could be over weight for your truck. I assume the maximum truck numbers are from the brochure and/or the hitch. Those are best circumstances numbers and will not be the same for every truck. The only way to determine if you are over your truck's capacity is to run the numbers using the weight stickers located on the driver's side door pillar.

Are the trailer weights from a scale, sticker or brochure. If the numbers are weighed you are heavier than what is typical for a bumper towed trailer. The normal range is 10%-15% of the trailer weight is carried by the tongue. You could try redistributing the weight to reach the normal range and see how in handles. Shifting the weight will also likely require readjustment of your WDH.

For seeing if the truck is over weight you should be able to find the calculations in your owners manual towing chapter. There are also some calculators and spreadsheets that will do the math for you.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

The trailer & tongue weights are from certified scales. The Truck limits are from Ford's trailer towing guide for my specific options and the stickers on the truck. I now have tried LT275 tires at max pressure and that did almost no improvement. The truck has been checked at the Ford dealer.

It appears that Winnebago has produced a Minnie 2500RL model that can't be towed by any 1/2 ton pickup as advertised due to the excessive tongue weight. In a couple of weeks I will be able to try towing with my cousins 3/4 ton pickup to test how it reacts.

Figure I can't be the only one that has run into this.
Edwin764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Edwin,
We also just got a 2500rl, I am towing with a Nissan Aramada and although heavy in the tounge I am not as heavy as you.

We went to CAT Scales today and here is my info
TV - 2013 NIssan Armada, GVWR 7300, Max Tow Rated at 9000, GAWR frt 3699, GAWR rear 4299
TT 2017 2500RL, GVWR 7700, GVAR 3500 per axle

CAT Scale info
TV disconnected, full feul, hitch installed, wife and dogs and all equipment we carry in truck
Steer axle @ 3160, Rear axle @ 3200 Gross weight 6360
TV & TT with WD at 8 links per dealer
steer axle 2900, drive axle @ 4260, Trailer axle @ 4940, gross weight for all 12100
TV & TT WD disconnected(bars on but not linked up)
Steer axle @2700, drive axle @ 4540, trailer axle @ 4860
using this info
Loaded TT weight (TV+TT gross weight) - (TV gross) 12100-6360=5740
Loaded tounge weight (TV axle weight Front + Rear)( WD disconneted form TT) - (TV gross weight) (2700+4540)-(6360)=880
so my data comes in like this
TV Gross = 6360
TT gross = 5740
Tounge Weight = 880
Hitch Blue Ox 750 lb bars

With dealer set up at 8 links the trailer was pushing me around like you, but the sclaes showed I was way light on my front axle. I made a change to 9 links and got much better WD numbers but still not where I want to be. I am going back to my dealer and getting 1000lb bars and then do this all again.

We are only 2 weeks since we picked up so they should give me the correct bar for the tounge. After my change the trailer tows with much less porpose and pushing, but I do notice slightly more sway, I think the new bars at the correct setting should fix that. I thikn the 1500 lb bars are way to heavy for the trailer. I agree that the TT is a heavy tounge but the 1000lb bars should be the correct fit and get the feel were we need it.

I hope I did not bore you with numbers but it heped me
Vizsladad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Yes sounds like an adjustment is needed with the bars and all should be good. As to tires on the truck they should have been LT and the pressure adjusted for the load etc. I always tend to go to max recommended pressure to keep the tire walls strong and the tread in firm contact with the road when towing.

Tags
ems, problems, weight