Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

grey water issue

hi everyone i am new to this site...i have recently purchased a 2002 journey dl. i would appreciate any assistance from anybody with my grey water issue. when my grey water is nearing the full mark it spews out the screw holes and gaps above my basement storage compartment on the passenger side of the unit. further to this when i drive the unit the coach fills with the odor of grey water. can anyone offer advise on this as i would like to fix it myself if possible...
jon mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Doesn't seem like you are getting much attention and perhaps it is because folks try not to get close to insulting the poster!!
So if this sounds like and insult, not meant to be that, okay? First thought is to not let the tank get that full before dumping. Kind of borderline insulting to say that! But I feel it is the solution as the downside of not dumping sooner is that one gets a lot of grey water spilled inside and it smells bad for a long time. I bought one and know how much trouble it is to get the smell out, once it soaks into the compartment carpeting.
Sorry?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The site is a bit quiet in the dog days of summer.

Is sure sounds like a leaking fitting or vent toward the top of the tank. I would recommend a trip to the repair shop if you are not comfortable tearing into where ever the tank is located. I would guess it’s on the floor above that compartment.

Plumbing (drainage) diagrams are available on line at Winnebago to give you ideas of where everything is located and where to start looking.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickd View Post
The site is a bit quiet in the dog days of summer.

Is sure sounds like a leaking fitting or vent toward the top of the tank. I would recommend a trip to the repair shop if you are not comfortable tearing into where ever the tank is located. I would guess it’s on the floor above that compartment.

Plumbing (drainage) diagrams are available on line at Winnebago to give you ideas of where everything is located and where to start looking.
Your grey tank should not be "spewing" water out, even if it is full. However, if your grey tank is overflowing when it is getting full, there are three ways it will "spew" out. 1. There is a loose fitting somewhere in your drain lines or vent tubes. 2. it comes up through the lowest drain in the rig, usually the shower or tube. 3. there is a crack, leak, or other issue with the tank.

From your description, I would suspect a crack, or leak near the top of the tank. You could troubleshoot it yourself, but grey tanks are not the easiest to get at, and they make a smelly mess. Best bet is to take it into a reputable repair facility.
Magnum108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Former Winnebago Owner

Jon,
I had the same thing happen on a 2002 Horizon 32TD that I owned. I found that the PVC pipe feeding the gray tank had come out of the tank.
Make sure the gray tank is empty. Take note of which storage compartment on the passenger side that the leak is coming from. Inside the compartment at the top you will find a black steel cover held in place with a bunch of philips head sheet metal screws. Remove the cover - pry it loose, they used black adhesive to hold the cover in place since all those screws wasn't enough :-)
With the cover removed you will see the top of the gray tank and the pipe/coupler for it. Mine had about a 1/2" gap that would allow it to leak when the tank was nearly full. On mine there were some wood blocks holding the gray tank in position. Remove those in order to allow the tank to drop down a bit so you can work in there. The rubber PVC pipe to tank coupler on mine was torn allowing it to come out of the tank. I got a new one at a local RV parts store, it's a common part. Getting it installed was a bear. Used WD40 to lube the coupler so I could push it into the tank opening (be careful so it doesn't go into the tank. Then carefully pushed the PVC pipe into the coupler again using WD40 to lube it up. I seem the recall a radiator type hose clamp on the pipe to coupler end, reinstall that. Finally carefully raise the tank up and reinstall the wooden blocks, leave the clamp loose so the PVC pipe can go into the coupler as the tank is raised.
This wasn't a difficult repair, just painful due to fat hands and lack of room to work.

Good luck,
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water