Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ford Fiesta and Ready Brake

So, I had a 2012 Ford Fiesta with the automatic transmission and a Ready Brake for braking. With the automatic, you had to disconnect the negative side of the battery to prevent damage. Long story short, Ford bought back my 2012 because of a crappy transmission and the California Lemon Law. So I replaced it with a 2016 Fiesta with a MANUAL transmission. So the question is, do I still disconnect the battery to keep the brake lights from coming on when the Ready Brake pulls on the pedal? I have auxiliary lights so I don't need the Fiesta's brake lights coming on. Do I have a valid concern or is the draw on the battery insignificant over say 500 miles?
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you have the radio off and the A/C fan off the draw of the brake lights once in a while is pretty low. Are there other reasons to disconnect the battery?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It was required on the automatic transmission of my old Fiesta, but not on the new one with the manual. Since I have auxillary lights installed in the tail lights, that are powered from the motor home, if I leave the battery connected, then I apply the brakes and the toad brakes at the same time, then they will be very bright indeed.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Most people wire their tail lights and running lights with diodes to prevent what you are describing. Alternatives to individually wired diodes are made by Hopkins who usually have a plug-and-play solutions to wire the motorhome to the car.

If your system works, there is really no reason to change it. Running lights, tail lights, and stop lights are what the law requires.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ford