Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Thanks, I'm getting PMs telling me the same thing. Anxious to get on the road and try it out.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Cooperhawk,
One other thing that I found very helpful.
Our Saturn requires pulling a fuse to prevent battery drain. It's not a lot of work to do, but I decided to install a "cutoff switch". That took some designing and install, but it was well worth it. now I just flick the switch under the dash and that's done.
If your car requires that, you might consider the switch.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

No one has mentioned the Redi Brake mechanical system yet so thought I'd add my 2 cents. I have only used it on 2 trips so far, but long ones. 1,500 miles and then about 3,000 miles.
Seems to work great with my 36' DP Journey. Mechanic added a switch to the lower dash to cut off the battery drain as I had read that getting to the fuse is a real bear.
Not hard to set up once cables are set the first time. I like it...but does anyone have any comments on why it is not chosen very much? Something I don't know yet???
Thanks,
Bajasoon
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Cooperhawk,
One other thing that I found very helpful.
Our Saturn requires pulling a fuse to prevent battery drain. It's not a lot of work to do, but I decided to install a "cutoff switch". That took some designing and install, but it was well worth it. now I just flick the switch under the dash and that's done.
If your car requires that, you might consider the switch.

Thanks but we have installed a line to charge the battery as we go down the highway. Hope that does the job.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:08 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Cooperhawk,
A charge line is good. The invisibrake system supplies a charge via the coach driving lights.
On the Saturn, the fuse pull is for a different reason than powering the brake pump. When towing with the trans in neutral, the key can only be turned back to the "ACC" position, in order to prevent the steering wheel from locking. Very good, but all the "ACC" drain will occur, like radio, a/c fan, and others. So the fuse gets pulled to stop that drain. Forgot it once and the battery died, hence the switch.
All vehicles are different and yours may not need that. If it does, it is mandatory. See owners manual or online info.
You will be so happy you installed your system. I makes travel so easy! We just got back from 10,000 miles of US and Canada. 9 weeks, but needed 6 months more!
Wow, am I long winded in my old age (70).
Happy travels.
Richard, retired ATCS as well.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:33 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Why is VW not listed in "Motorhome Magazine" towing guides? 2007-2013
Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Probably because they can't be towed four down. We used a dolly for ours.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:33 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

We use the SMI braking system. It is very clean and very easy to hook up. We did not install it ourselves. It is hooked up to our air system on the coach so the braking is in proportion to what the coach does. My husband says it works very well and it has a sensor that stays on the dash to show that it is working.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Delta Force

We had Delta Force installed last Fall when we bought our new MW 31D. We were able to keep our old but reliable toad, a '02 Honda CRV. Delta Force works well. The best part is the connect/disconnect is easy and takes 5 minutes. We plan to buy a new CRV in a few years to carry us through retirement. This '02 has been a toad for 15 years!
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

towing Honda's in the future

TJFolgerburg....Just to let you know, from what I've read, Honda CRV's changed transmission in 2015. !!! From what I understand, the latest year you can tow 4 on the ground is 2014....which is what I have.

I've written to Subaru, (I always loved the Forester), and now to Honda, telling them they will be cutting out a growing market by not offering a tow-able SUV that is also an automatic. After suggesting the manual trans to me, I explained that with a tendinitis issue always waiting to act up that that is not an option. Also said I'm probably not alone not wanting a manual.

So I guess we'll see if they are spot on judging the growing retiree / RV'rs market and go back to towable trans!
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 AM   #31
Winnebago Master

Just to follow up on our AF1 install. First of all you need to strip the Explorer down to the bare radiator removing the entire front facade. Not too bad, but under all of that is a bumper that Ford installed where it cannot be seen. The instructions say to drill out the six spot welds and then unbolt it. We ruined 8 drill bits trying to drill out the first one and finally went to a plasma cutter to cut them out. Found out the bumper is made of Boron Steel and is incredibly strong.

All installed now and I towed the Explorer home with the MH. Towed really great and the AF1 worked flawlessly. Very happy. First trip starts on Wednesday.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:55 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
The instructions say to drill out the six spot welds and then unbolt it. We ruined 8 drill bits trying to drill out the first one and finally went to a plasma cutter to cut them out. Found out the bumper is made of Boron Steel and is incredibly strong.
Spot welds are very hard anyway.
Glad you got it out.
Lee
Old 10-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

"I'm not bad-mouthing a tow-dolly..."
I will - they're a joke! LOL Everyone has to decide what works for them. It's a great option for any vehicle that cannot be flat-towed however. Flat-towing is by far more efficient and convenient.

And another vote for BrakeBuddy here. I bought one from the original inventor some years ago. When he sold the company he had a few dozen units left over that were returns with failures, refurbished to be as new, and was selling them on ebay for $500. It's been flawless for many years now.

I like how clean the setup is, no additional hardware installation, goes from car to car easily (we've had numerous toads) and works really well. The transmitter indicator from toad to MH cab is nice to be able to see when it activates. I have mine set so it only activates under hard braking - otherwise it just coasts along back there.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

After observing some challenges campers face using dolly, we chose brake buddy, falcon2 with our 2013 crv.brake buddy has good customer service.

Tags
towing, tow, dolly