Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Flaking chrome off hitch ball

I was annoyed when I unhitched my new 2108DS after the 75 mile return trip from my Winnebago dealer. Flakes of chrome fell from my hitch ball. I paid for the best Blue Ox hitch setup and paid handsomely for the installation. Is the chrome supposed to peel off a new ball or should I be asking for a replacement?
Donstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Having towed bumper pulls for 25+ years, I learned the hitch ball does take a beating. I usually used plain steel ones that were not chrome because I kept them greased anyway. I suppose you could ask for a replacement, no harm in asking.

BT
Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
Having towed bumper pulls for 25+ years, I learned the hitch ball does take a beating. I usually used plain steel ones that were not chrome because I kept them greased anyway. I suppose you could ask for a replacement, no harm in asking.

BT
Thanks for your reply. The man that gave us the in-service on our trailer was also the one who setup (installed) our hitch assembly. He impressed me with his attention to detail and his knowledge of RV's. I was surprised he didn't grease the ball but I know not everyone does. I since learned that he isn't a mechanic. I suspected this when I asked him what he torqued the hitch height adjustment bolts. He responded that he simply uses a long bar for leverage and puts his full body weight to the tightening! I phoned my salesperson and she basically said the flaking is normal. I tend to be a little fussy about such things but I bought their best Blue Ox hitch with their $119+ install, $32. ball, and $15 shop supplies. I paid to have it "professionally" setup for the convenience and peace of mind. I have regrets!
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I don't know much about it, but from what you tell me, it doesn't sound right. If it were me, I works go in and talk to them, tell them you are unhappy with thy amount of money you paid, you shouldn't have regrets.
Mfprind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You can always replace with stainless... here's one actually made in the USA: Stainless Steel Hitch Balls | Lifetime Guarantee | Made in USA Trailer Balls | Aluminum Ball Mounts
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You should have greased it before you used it. Wheel bearing grease is good. Get yourself a cover or and old tennis ball to keep it covered when not in use to keep the grease off your pants.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The ball is "Chrome plated" meaning the plate will eventually flake off.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Also most chrome plating you see today is either "spray on chrome" or cheap stuff from China.

Spray on chrome looks like chrome but is a lot like paint. Most automotive chrome today is this stuff.

The Chinese stuff is usually a single layer of chrome plating, not triple chrome plated like a good plating job would be. It rusts quickly and does not last.

Much has of this is due to EPA regulations that have made it cost prohibitive for shops to do chrome plating in the traditional way.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seon View Post
The ball is "Chrome plated" meaning the plate will eventually flake off.
I agree but it was surprising to see this occur after its first pull. The ball is rated to pull 20,000 lbs which far exceeds the replacements found at local stores. It is obviously a higher end ball but why the cheap finish...
Old 05-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

So you inquired about a replacement and were told that the flaking is normal? I suppose that means they aren't concerned with the cosmetic appearance of the ball, which of course doesn't affect the utility.

As was suggested, if the appearance is important to you then shop for a replacement stainless steel ball. After a while you probably won't even notice it anyway.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
You can always replace with stainless... here's one actually made in the USA: Stainless Steel Hitch Balls | Lifetime Guarantee | Made in USA Trailer Balls | Aluminum Ball Mounts
Stainless, AND American Made.
I love it !

Thanks for the link.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donstar View Post
I agree but it was surprising to see this occur after its first pull. The ball is rated to pull 20,000 lbs which far exceeds the replacements found at local stores. It is obviously a higher end ball but why the cheap finish...
Under load, chrome is not made to stay intact. It is only a coating! Next time, grease the ball or, as an alternative, install a stainless one, but also grease it first, and cover it with a tennis ball when not in use. Or...keep the old ball, grease it, use it, and then keep it covered. Chrome plating is no longer what it used to be due to onerous EPA regulations that make sense only to the EPA.
Smitty550 is offline   Reply With Quote