Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
2017 View 24G

Extra wires by the trailer hitch

Winnebago 2017 View 24g. I see two extra wires dangling by the hitch receiver and the trailer plug. Can someone tell me what they might be for?
Foggyfred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots of options as many do mods on things that others may not need but some that come to mind?
Perhaps they wired to connect some form of trailer lighting for towing a car. Some don't get into using the wiring already there but go for loose wires run down the car side!
Perhaps they wired for a small pump (Macerator?) to pump holding tanks out when not using a dump station. I have a connection in the utility compartment that lets me plug in there to dump into a drain at home which is uphill so that gravity flow is out. I would first want top check each wire to find if it is ground or maybe 12VDC.
If they are powered, I would want to insulate them as they are prone to getting wet and blowing a fuse that means I have to do a search for that fuse and likely not when it's convenient. Folks set up traps for second users at times, so I don't assume anything is good without checking.
I once went to install a phone and the lady asked me to cut off some wires hanging out of the wall in the kids bedroom. So I find three telephone ground wires but before cutting I checked and found they were wired from the dryer and were two hot 220 Volts and ground!! Scary for the kids sleeping there?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have you made sure that all the wires that should be connected to your trailer plug socket are actually connected? Are your tail and marker lights all functioning properly?

Another possibility is that it might have something to do with a PO's toad braking system. My ReadyBrake toad brake system uses a pair of wires, one hot and one ground to activate an LED indicator light on my dash whenever the ReadyBrake is applied.

Have you checked the wiring diagram for your MH?

Wiring Diagrams
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #4
2017 View 24G

Extra Wires

Thanks for all the comments! I'll be connecting my CRV this weekend as a test to see that the all the lights work; I'm hoping that its for the brake unit LED as suggested; will need to find out where the other end is in the cab! Thanks again!
Foggyfred2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If it was owner added, it should be easy to trace the wire visually since it's unlikely to be buried.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Did the previous owner take their trailer brake controller with them? They may be the wires for connecting your own brake controller for your toad.