Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I know this is a dumb question but have to ask it. Why can you not back up your RV with the toad attached ?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I know this is a dumb question but have to ask it. Why can you not back up your RV with the toad attached ?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's because you have to leave the front wheels on the toad free to steer (i.e. you don't lock the steering column). As soon as you start to backup, the toad wheels will turn all the way to the max and start sliding sideways - not good. I've heard that some have backed a short distance with the DW holding the toad steering wheel straight ahead, but have also read that it can rip the wheel right out of your hands...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I guess I didn't really splain why that happens. If you think of a grocery store cart, it's same principle - the front wheels stay straight as long as you're going forward, but instantly swivel around when you pull it back.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #5

The camber to the front wheels have a lot to do with the inability to back up a towed vehicle. The tires "toe in" slightly. The tires on a tow dolly or cargo type trailer do not. That's why they can be backed up. So even if you could lock your front wheels in straight, you still could not back up the vehicle.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

All the above, plus most tow bars are made for towing, not pushing (backing up) and will bend.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The more I think about this the deeper it gets. The caster, camber, and toe-in all play a part in getting the toad wheels started off the straight ahead center position. But that would happen also if the toad was disconnected and you're just backing it up. So what's the difference when you're hooked up - the tow bar. The geometry of the tow bar prevents the toad from making a turn to follow it's partially angled front wheels. If the toad can't actually make a turn, then the rearward motion would slam the front wheels over against the stops. I'm not explaining that very well - I can see it in my mind, but can't put it into words very well. Good thing I didn't choose to be an author in my working years or I wouldn't have my Journey now...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As I recall, a tow dolly with the toad cannot be backed up either. Has something to do with the dolly having a pivot point. Can be backed without the toad tho.
Richard
Old 03-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

On very rare occasions I have backed backed up my toad (without unhooking) when backing up a FEW feet will get me out of a jam ... I have the co-pilot go stand beside the toad and watch the front wheels of the toad ...

I only back when <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>it is just for a few feet (never more than the length of the toad)<LI>it is straight back (I don't turn the steering wheel of the coach)<LI>I am on a hard surface<LI>the engine is idling (my foot is off the accelerator)[/list]
I haven't bent or broken anything yet
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I wonder if the people who say no-no-no speak from experience. I've done it on several occasions without any problems at all. Always staight back and never for very far.

If the towbar can hold the toad on a down hill grade, it can certainly push it straight backwards on a flat slope.

If you want someone to hold the wheel straight, start it up and keep it in neutral. The hydraulic power steering will keep the wheel from spinning, just like it does when driving the toad in reverse. Sure there is more stress when using a triangular towbar to push, but nowhere near enough to overcome the hyraulics.

I mean think about it. Rolling it backward 10' in a straight line isn't going to damage anything. The only trick is to go slow, have an able observer and if it starts to vear of course, STOP Same principle as backing into a campsite only in a straight line.
Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I can back up my RV with my toad attached. My toad is on a car trailer and I have no problems backing the trailer.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote