Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Do we really need a braking system in our toads?

I have towed a car behind my motorhome(s) since 1987. For years, I towed a Jeep Wrangler, then a Jeep Grand Cherokee and most recently, a Jeep Wrangler 4-door. I have never had a braking system. I have been all over the United States and have never been stopped nor asked if I had one. I know there's lots of talk out there that it's safer...maybe, but I've never had a problem stopping. Some say it saves your brakes...I've never had to replace a set of brakes on any of my motorhomes. It seems like I would have to replace my Jeep brakes sooner though, because they're being used for every stop the coach makes. I'm just curious, WHY do I need one...?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Law in many states and provinces, some have weight low limits. others say all . In many situations being from out of state doesn't mean your exempt.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good braking is obviously a good thing to have when you have to make a panic stop.

Many states have laws regarding when brakes are required on towed vehicles. Some states start at a pretty low weight.

Check these links out: Trailer Brakes | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This subject has been discussed, debated, and argued many, many times - do a search if you're really interested. But I suspect you've already made up your mind ("towing since '87 without one") and are just looking for some justification for your behavior. You won't get it from me.

Our blog
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K View Post
This subject has been discussed, debated, and argued many, many times - do a search if you're really interested. But I suspect you've already made up your mind ("towing since '87 without one") and are just looking for some justification for your behavior. You won't get it from me.
Ditto

Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

One more thought: if you are ever involved in an accident and you hit someone else, their lawyer is very likely to hang you out to dry if that state requires you have one and you don't. Especially if you were to rear end someone. The other thing to worry about in the same vein, is if you exceed the weight restrictions for your coach.

And there are people out there who WILL pass you, pull in front of a big expensive RV and slam on their brakes specifically so that you will rear end them. Just to sue you, for a ton of money......unless you have a camera you will be toast.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

RAMZFAN.....Just wondering what happens to the vehicle you're towing if it becomes unhooked when you're going down the road without a brake controller on the towed??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Like you I never felt I needed a brake system until one time when I was traveling North on I5 at about 63 mph when I crested a hill to find traffic at a full stop in all lanes. Had to take the shoulder and luckily was able to get it stopped without hitting anyone. Never again, if the shoulder had not been available I would have taken out one maybe 2 cars..
Old 08-13-2014, 02:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Because never is a long time.

Personally "getting away with it" has never been a good plan.

It is the people in front of you that need you to have one. "It never happens to me" may be one of the most regrettable excuses ever conceived.

By not having a braking system in some circumstances you are breaking the vehicle law in many states. Never getting caught, once again a regrettable excuse.

The laws of physics are absolute, they never fail. Your vehicle will stop quicker with proper toad braking than without.

I personally have never towed without them and when my "it never happens to me" ended on I-5 North I was prepared and it made the difference between life and death. I never would have forgiven my self had I not been properly equipped.

My best wishes to you and I hope for the sake of others you never have to learn the hard way.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
This response is Spot On
It's always better to be safe than sorry. Especially with a very heavy RV towing A heavy toad
Plus it's the Law

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Old 08-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Because never is a long time.

It is the people in front of you that need you to have one. "It never happens to me" may be one of the most regrettable excuses ever conceived.

By not having a braking system in some circumstances you are breaking the vehicle law in many states. Never getting caught, once again a regrettable excuse.

The laws of physics are absolute, they never fail. Your vehicle will stop quicker with proper toad braking than without.

I personally have never towed without them and when my "it never happens to me" ended on I-5 North I was prepared and it made the difference between life and death. I never would have forgiven my self had I not been properly equipped.

My best wishes to you and I hope for the sake of others you never have to learn the hard way.

Right On.

05 MADP 4301
2014 Ford FX4 Crew
Blue Ox tow bar
Air Force One
Billy & Jeannie & Clyde The Poodle
Old 08-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have towed a car behind my motorhome(s) since 1987. For years, I towed a Jeep Wrangler, then a Jeep Grand Cherokee and most recently, a Jeep Wrangler 4-door. I have never had a braking system. I have been all over the United States and have never been stopped nor asked if I had one. I know there's lots of talk out there that it's safer...maybe, but I've never had a problem stopping. Some say it saves your brakes...I've never had to replace a set of brakes on any of my motorhomes. It seems like I would have to replace my Jeep brakes sooner though, because they're being used for every stop the coach makes. I'm just curious, WHY do I need one...?
This is NOT name calling, but in this particular instance Ramzfan is being, and has been, totally irresponsible! SINCE 1987! Sorry to sugar coat it, but the truth is the truth.
By the way, Ramzfan, according to AAA, you are illegal even in your home State of NV, not to mention surrounding States ('cept for Oregon).
Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree, get one and use it!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

There is a kid on a bike that is alive because I could stop in a much shorter distance. Nuff said.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I read an article recently that stated "most accidents aren't really accidents". It was based on a survey done over several years trying to determine the causes of industrial accidents.

The conclusion was that the majority of the "accidents" weren't really accidents, but rather the result of repeating of unsafe behaviors. Most accidents had been preceded by performing the same unsafe procedure between 25,000 and 250,000 times. The unsafe procedures had become so commonplace that those committing them they considered them normal.

I would consider towing a vehicle with no auxiliary braking system one of those unsafe acts. You may be able to do it 25,000 times or 250,000 times without a negative result. It only takes 1 failure to inflict damage or result in death.

You don't need them until you do, and if you don't have them that 1 time you might not get a do over.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
RAMZFAN.....Just wondering what happens to the vehicle you're towing if it becomes unhooked when you're going down the road without a brake controller on the towed??
DieselTech...That's why we have safety chains and cables, isn't it? What happens if a tire blows in the middle of an emergency stop...? There are so many "what ifs" when driving a motorhome that you can't cover them all.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
DieselTech...That's why we have safety chains and cables, isn't it? What happens if a tire blows in the middle of an emergency stop...? There are so many "what ifs" when driving a motorhome that you can't cover them all.

That is why aux braking systems have a break-away system.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Do we really need a braking system in our toads?

Because I chose to not flaunt the laws and use aux braking, I was able to stop early enough to not strike the child and, as a bonus, did not face criminal charges. I have covered as many "what-ifs" as possible as a concientious duty to my fellow man.

Why would folks even ponder NOT getting aux braking?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Originally Posted by DieselTech39

Now I'm probably going to get in trouble for this post, based on the "be nice" rules of the site, which I fully understand and respect, but there is no other way to describe your actions as irresponsible and foolish. You are not a good representative of the RV Community. The physical risk to you should your toad become separated is next to nil. However, the risk to everyone else is extreme. Driving the highways and byways of our countries is based on laws and trust. I trust the other drivers to have their wits about them and their vehicles in proper and safe working order. Just as others trust me. You sir, by your own admission, have broken that trust. Your careless actions show no respect for anyone else on or near a road. You may not respect yourself but you are obliged to respect others. Trust and respect are unspoken and unwritten covenants of sharing the road with others.
Sir, I wish you no ill and no harm, but I do wish you would reconsider your thoughts and actions. In this case the life you save will be someone else’s.

JMHO.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I was wondering why he doesn't have a braking system. Is it the cost? There are a lot of braking systems on Craigs list cheaply priced. Is it the inconvenience of having to set it up before towing? If a lawyer determines that the rear end accident you had was preventable, if only you had an auxillary braking system. Which I'm sure he'll point out is widely accepted. I suspect you will have a very big change in your lifestyle. Very Big!!
Closed Thread

Tags
toad, toads