Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Broken Hitch

I have a 2006 Adventurer and recently had the hitch on the rear of the motorhome come off. It seems that one of the center bolts came off and the the hitch actually broke off from the 4 outside bolts. I received a signal from my supplemental braking system and was able to pull over. the hitch was haning down held on by the remaining center bolt. A highway help truck came by and was able to help me remove the remaining bolt and then disconnect the tow car. Has anyone had this happen and if so what should I look for in the future?
Dick Norwood
dicknorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not in 70K towing miles. I check when I grease chassis, but I am gonna check again before we leave "Q". Sorry it happened, but glad all is well. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknorwood View Post
I have a 2006 Adventurer and recently had the hitch on the rear of the motorhome come off. It seems that one of the center bolts came off and the the hitch actually broke off from the 4 outside bolts. I received a signal from my supplemental braking system and was able to pull over. the hitch was haning down held on by the remaining center bolt. A highway help truck came by and was able to help me remove the remaining bolt and then disconnect the tow car. Has anyone had this happen and if so what should I look for in the future?
Dick Norwood
I'm going to check my bolts in the morning. That should not have happened. Glad all came out ok.
ProPride P3 1400#Bars.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My case was a bit different.. On my Motor home the hitch is welded to a cross bar, which is welded to brackets, which are bolted to the frame rails... The brackets broke.

A good samaritian told me my biclcle tire (it rides on a hitch hauler) was on fire,, it was not, but still, good he got me stopped.

my towed, even though it was no longer connected to the motor home when I got it stopped, was right where it belonged... I say very nice things about the US-Gear supplemental brake system since the only thing still connecting the car to the MH was it's control leads.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Wow, you can bet I will be checking and torquing my bolts next chance I get.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

i read about a situation like this in 2006 soon after i bought my moho.
i wrapped a length of 3/8 chain around the frame on the right side and around the hitch and tied them together with a 3/8 grade 8 bolt, washers and a grade 8 nut.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Along the same thought, I read on this forum about the whole hitch coming off with the toad. Since the brake actuator was tied to the hitch, the toad kept going.

I fastened a cable to my frame and I attach the brake actuator to the cable.

Paranoid, I guess.