Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Braking system for Toad

I now have my toad and I need to get some advice on which braking system I should consider. So I'm asking for suggestions from folks that have a system. The RV dealer suggested Patriot.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You're going to get a ton of suggestions and it's going to be difficult to sort out the pros and cons of each. The good news is that most people like what they have and horror stories are relatively rare so, if you stick with a brand name you'll be OK.

Based on my research, there are several different categories, these three being the main ones:

Portable Electro Mechanical - A popular example is the Brake Buddy. These are portable units that you place between the driver's seat and your toad's brake pedal. They need to be removed to use the toad and depend on 12V power and electronics to activate a mechanical device that pushes on your brake pedal. These can be moved from one toad to the other.

Mechanical - An example of this is the Ready Brake, which attaches between your tow bar and hitch. The Ready Brute is a combination brake system/towbar. These units mechanically sense when you brake and pull a cable attached to your toad's brake pedal. These are the least expensive choice. There's nothing to install/remove each time other than to connect or disconnect a couple of cables. These also support multiple toads as long as each one has the appropriate brake cables installed.

Permanently Installed- Units such as the SMI Air Force One are permanently installed and use a variety of technologies to activate the brake. Some are pneumatic and require an air compressor or the air from a Diesel Pusher. These only support one toad and are probably the most expensive choice. There's also nothing to install or remove each time.

Personally, I chose the Ready Brake mechanical system. I like the engineering simplicity, relatively low cost and that nothing needs to be installed/removed from the vehicle to use the toad. I also like the idea of it not being dependent on electronics.

Unless you're buying from someone you know and trust, I'd recommend against buying a used braking system.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I chose the RVi Brake all the way back in 2012. It has proven itself over and over and unlike the other systems (Patriot, Brake Buddy, etc.) it is small, sits on the floor, and uses the car's floor pan as it's stop. The latest version, the RVi 3, is way more technically advanced than anything else on the market. Service needs have been minimal.

Web - rvibrake.com
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You also might check out Winnieowners sister site IRV2. It has a forum devoted to toads and has a wider audience so, therefore, may have more information.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After doing some research I went with the RVi3 brake. It comes with a wireless interface so you can tell when your brake is active and you can add tire pressure monitoring as well. I like the fact that it does not just hit the brakes when you apply your RV brakes as it monitors motion, angle (up or down hill), and applies appropriate pressure. This is a technically sophisticated system. It is really easy for my wife to set up (when she want to) so there is that.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:00 PM   #6
Site Team

We found a brand new Brake Buddy on Amazon for a couple hundred dollars off and bought that 3 years ago. It's been good.

Aux Braking for a Toad is not called upon to do much until you make a pretty hard stop. Not quite a panic stop but a hard short stop. The rest of the time it doesn't do all that much. Sure you want it to work when you need it but after my experience I wouldn't spend $1,200 to have something permanently installed in my toad... that I might sell in a couple of years.

My wife and I are speedy quick on installing and removing the Brake Buddy. The toad has 3 seat memories. One for me, one for my wife and one for the Bake Buddy.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our first brake system was the Brake Buddy but changed to the Ready Brake because of simplicity. We had it installed at the Ready Brake facility in Iola Kansas They did a good job installing the unit. We have our truck and our CRV set up for towing using the ready brake and have had it for Years. One thing I'll add is to make sure you have something either on your dash or installed into your dash of your MH that will tell you if the system you are using has set the brake on your towed car. A friend failed to do this with his braking system and his towed caught on fire and was a total loss.
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

With the Ready Brake and ReadyBrute, the only parts that are actually installed on the toad are two cables, one that actuates your vehicle's brake pedal when the Ready Brake or Brute applies braking force and a second, break-away safety brake. The Ready Brake mounts between your motorhome's hitch and the tow bar. The ReadyBrute includes and integral tow bar.

Both cable systems can be installed DIY, the only complication being tight working space in your toad.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Like most said above - my recommendation is the RViBrake3 - totally user friendly, modern and great customer service. It's made in the USA by a small mom & pop company in CO. You can also combine their RViBrake3 system with other features (controlled/monitored by a single tablet/wireless system) like "Towed Battery Charger" and "Tire Pressure Monitor".
Old 10-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I just bought a new Jeep to replace the Samurai towd I had
I like the simplicity of the Ready Brake
Any issues on long downhill mountain grades while using the transmission tow feature to use engine to keep the vehicle slowed down? Does the ReadyBrake actuate with the engine holding you back?
Edbehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edbehl View Post
I just bought a new Jeep to replace the Samurai towd I had
I like the simplicity of the Ready Brake
Any issues on long downhill mountain grades while using the transmission tow feature to use engine to keep the vehicle slowed down? Does the ReadyBrake actuate with the engine holding you back?
According to everything I've read, it's designed so this isn't a problem. This is from Ready Brake but you can Google for other reports.

Ready Brake Test Results

(I had t look up "jake brake". It's an engine compression release brake)
Old 10-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I chose the Ready Brute system for simplicity, good ratings by others, and keeping the cost down. Been using it over a year with no regrets.
Thundr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thank you
Old 02-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I recently went to the ReadyBrute with the ReadyBrake set up for the new Wrangler JL I bought 3 months ago. I previously had a Suzuki Samurai with a Blue OX tow bar welded on to the front of it. Having the ReadyBrute that stays on the RV leaves the Jeep with a very clean look. I used Roadmaster mounting bracket with the twist locking extensions, which when not being towed leaves a very clean appearance. Also the ReadyBrake and BrakeAway are easy to hook up but not seen when not in use. No additional brake system to deal with or that can drain the battery. Great set up.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0VqF...vYaqB36IMU_rrg

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0__w...pjQ0uOTcXSC27w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0bVn...fcAOp6z6nOLCPw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rOQ...KsrHVAPKyreSQQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0YXr...a8shEas_bB_odA
Old 01-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I think there should also be a discussion regarding the merits of electrical versus air activated systems. As I have been doing research I have found that many systems like Brake Buddy are mini air compressors and the toad battery runs an air compressor while pulling the vehicle. The new Patriot and RVi are electric activated that have capacitors that are charged by the toads battery - the battery usage is far less with these systems. In many cases I have read that people are hooking battery chargers to their toad to keep the battery charged when towing. Another level of complication.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Unmentioned way too often is ReadyBrute tow bar with integral ReadyBrake MECHANICAL SYSTEM!! RELIABLE, SIMPLE, NO ELECTRICAL OR AIR NEEDED, NO BATTERY DRAIN,

Look at the pictures of my Winnebago Vista and Jeep Wrangler I posted earlier in this trail

I could not be happier with the functionality and ease of hookup and operation.

AND The icing on the cake is it also cost a hell of a lot less than other systems

Tags
toad