Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Braking System

I just purchased a diesel pusher and need to get a braking system for my jeep wrangler. Which is the best for air brakes or does it make a difference?
Craig
craig C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

Air brakes just gives you more options. There are any number of various types of braking systems, some as simple as sitting it on the floor in front of your brake pedal to more complicated types. This thread discusses a few of them.

If you use the search box at the top right of the page, with the Google logo, you can search the iRV2 forum for many threads on this topic.

I'm glad to see you are planning on adding a braking system to your Toad. It's the law in many states and a law of physics everywhere!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
:welcome:

Air brakes just gives you more options. There are any number of various types of braking systems, some as simple as sitting it on the floor in front of your brake pedal to more complicated types. This thread discusses a few of them.

If you use the search box at the top right of the page, with the Google logo, you can search the iRV2 forum for many threads on this topic.

I'm glad to see you are planning on adding a braking system to your Toad. It's the law in many states and a law of physics everywhere!
Bob pretty much said it all! Especially the last sentence.

If you have any questions on a particular one, ask and I'm sure one of us with our experience in that one can comment. I use the M&G Engineering one, but besides that one, there are several really good ones out there.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had been using a Blue Ox Autostop for about 8 or 9 years. When it was time to update/replace I decided on the ReadyBruteElite. Same principle, updated design, sexier.

Don't forget about an emergency break away system. They Ready folks have the ReadyStop system. I use it, and while I've never had a situation where it was engaged, it appears that it would be effective.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

It really depends on which way you want to go. You can go with one that only requires you to plug it into the MH via the 7 pin connector, which will also hook up to your brake lights on the Toad or one that requires a bit more such as an air line from the MH's brake system to a piston that you have to attach to the brake pedal of your Toad.
No mater which one you go with you will need to ensure that you have park lights and brake lights activate on the toad or have an completely separate light system such as the ones used by tow trucks.
As far as Brake systems:
RVI Ready Brake
Roadmaster Brake master
SMI Stay and Play
Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Blue Ox Auto stop
You also need to take into consideration the Tow Bar setup you are going with and how you plan to equip your Wrangler. If you are changing the front bumper to something more heavy duty then ensure it has the setup to be towed behind the MH already attached. This type of setup negates the Base plate.
Yes there is a lot to think about so have fun reading up on everything.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Friends of ours who full-time sold us on the M&G braking system. We bought it for our Jeep Grand Cherokee and have been very satisfied with it ever since.
Once installed you never have to fiddle with it again. It's ALL under the hood. That friend has used it on the same Ford Explorer for about 10 years so far without a single problem.
When you trade toweds, remove the unit and you get $150 trade-in on a new unit for the new towed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
It really depends on which way you want to go. You can go with one that only requires you to plug it into the MH via the 7 pin connector, which will also hook up to your brake lights on the Toad or one that requires a bit more such as an air line from the MH's brake system to a piston that you have to attach to the brake pedal of your Toad.
No mater which one you go with you will need to ensure that you have park lights and brake lights activate on the toad or have an completely separate light system such as the ones used by tow trucks.
As far as Brake systems:
RVI Ready Brake
Roadmaster Brake master
SMI Stay and Play
Brake Buddy
Roadmaster Invisibrake
Blue Ox Auto stop
You also need to take into consideration the Tow Bar setup you are going with and how you plan to equip your Wrangler. If you are changing the front bumper to something more heavy duty then ensure it has the setup to be towed behind the MH already attached. This type of setup negates the Base plate.
Yes there is a lot to think about so have fun reading up on everything.
Thanks
Craig
craig C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
GKW
Winnebago Camper

I have the Road Master Invisibrake installed in my Jeep Wrangler towed by Itasca Ellipse 42QD which has been very satisfactory.
GKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig C View Post
I just purchased a diesel pusher and need to get a braking system for my jeep wrangler. Which is the best for air brakes or does it make a difference?
Craig
I am a SMI Air Force One breaking system fan. I installed it myself. I am not a mechanical genius. Just follow the directions and call SMI if you have a question. Great support team. Once it is installed you only have to hook up the cables, test and be on your merry way.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Attending a "Blue Ox Seminar", I asked the instructor what the best braking system he could recommend. Assuming he would recommend a Blue Ox product, I was surprised when he said, "M&G engineering of Athens, TX. I bought it and have had super results and would recommend it to anyone who asks. Easy to use and stopping power is dramatic. JMHO

Phil
Old 01-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I am a SMI Air Force One breaking system fan. I installed it myself. I am not a mechanical genius. Just follow the directions and call SMI if you have a question. Great support team. Once it is installed you only have to hook up the cables, test and be on your merry way.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
+1 for SMI Air Force 1...

also self installed. Works beautifully. I love the design and function. Support was awesome. I sent photos of the air lines on my coach annotated to show where I intended to "TEE" into the air lines. There is an air supply line, and a metered air line. Within a few minutes they had emailed back confirming my choice. Everything else was easy peasy.

We have a Jeep Wrangler...and when my wife gets a new car...we'll probably install the base plate and brake unit on it as well...
Old 01-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoots View Post
Attending a "Blue Ox Seminar", I asked the instructor what the best braking system he could recommend. Assuming he would recommend a Blue Ox product, I was surprised when he said, "M&G engineering of Athens, TX. I bought it and have had super results and would recommend it to anyone who asks. Easy to use and stopping power is dramatic. JMHO

Phil
Phil, I just looked them up. The site is very homemade in my opinion. And there are no prices posted, plus you need special equipment for some cars. This is a small franchised system and service may be hard to find when needed. This is the first time I have heard of them and I have watched the forum for some time now on this topic. I hope you have many years of reliable service from your system. I'll continue to recommend SMI, thank you very much.

Rick Y
Old 01-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

As I said in post #3, I use M&G Engineering braking system, and to add, I have used it for 15 years now, with three different toads. I self installed all of my systems. As far as I am concerned, there is only one other system that comes close to this product.

To my way of thinking, if a company like Blue Ox recommends them, M&G must be pretty darn good.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
As I said in post #3, I use M&G Engineering braking system, and to add, I have used it for 15 years now, with three different toads. I self installed all of my systems. As far as I am concerned, there is only one other system that comes close to this product.

To my way of thinking, if a company like Blue Ox recommends them, M&G must be pretty darn good.
Pete, your experience with this product is very valuable and well appreciated by all of us. My concern is not about the reliability of the product but the lack of information about pricing and what you are getting for your money. If this tow system is so great why is it not more popular? This is the fires thread, in my recollection, that I have even heard of this brand. Look at any SMI ad and you see what you get for the most part. And I know that for the DP it will cost $1200+ for the kit.

I hope you get many more years of service from M&G. It is nice to have competition to choose from.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

+2 for Air Force One ...

And Craig - as you study this topic get familiar with how 'proportional braking' works - it may greatly affect your choice of systems ...
Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The SMI Air Force One would be high on my list to consider for the next time. Both the M&G and the AF1 are so easy to use once installed in the toad. Connect one small air line and you are done. No adjustments, no fussing.

BTW, from what other have said, both systems are similarly priced.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

+3 for the SMI Air Force One. As BigD9 states it quick and easy to hook up.

I spoke with another diesel pusher owner that told me a story of one of his tow bar arms coming apart due to a factory defect. His toad was halfway in the lane to his left. He had to stop, open his drivers door and kneel on the ground to disconnect one of those "place in front of the driver's seat" floor models. He thought he was going to get hit by the cars passing him at 60+ miles per hour. He then switched to the SMI Air Force One.

I've have mine for two years and still feel I made a good choice. I have towed my toad 12k miles.

Good luck.
All_Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I don't think you'll go wrong with either system.

Having said that... I chose the AF1 because of the safety valve and ping tank that mounts to the coach. M&G just advises that a rupture in an air line that small is insignificant...and that the Air compressor will keep up with such a leak.

I really liked the fact that the breakaway system comes with the AF1...it's not an add-on component. The air reservoir for the breakaway is housed in the the AF1 control box. I also like the fact that the AF1 can be used with a Vacuum or Hydroboost Brake units. My Jeep uses a Vacuum system...so the AF1 control unit provides Vacuum to the brake booster when in use. That means I'm getting proportional POWER braking!!! Not just a lever pushing on a lifeless brake pedal.

The AF1 didn't require removal of the OEM air filter housing to make room for the installation. Many of the M&G vehicles will require you to switch to a K&N filter if my memory serves me correctly.

That was my logic at the time of purchase.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The M&G system uses a component that mounts to the toad
master cylinder. They do not make a kit for every possible
toad. The SMI system can be fitted to any toad. The SMI
Air Force One system is activated by the coach air brake system.
The SMI Stay in Play Duo, once installed on the toad, makes
the vehicle towable by any vehicle, and is activated by air
pressure created by a pump. Air powered systems (and there
are others) activate instantly in an emergency, the mechanically
activated ones take seconds to apply full braking force.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

My thoughts - I have a US Gear system in my Grand Cherokee and a Roadmaster Invisibrake in my Jeep Wrangler. Both have a break away function and both work as designed to stop the towed vehicle. I have separate tail/brake lights on each vehicle - Extra bulb and wiring in the Grand Cherokee tail light housing and a separate tail/turn mounted on the bumper of the Wrangler. Avoids having to mess with the diodes.