Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

The BB is about 3 yrs old & works well. I've recently noticed problems w/the Alert Unit (red light) which is mounted (w/Velcro) just to the left of my RV Radio. I also use my laptop w/DeLorme map/GPS, laying on the center console. The alert unit has been intermittant; works sometimes, others not. The BB itself works (brakes) ok. Near the end of my last trip I turned off the laptop; then noticed the BB Alert Unit working ok. I now surmise EMI from the laptop may block BB's Alert Unit signals. Am asking for comments from you electron wizards. Thx!

PS: Current laptop is a 1 yr old Toshiba (Win XP). Did not notice problems w/my older Dell (Win 98).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The BB is about 3 yrs old & works well. I've recently noticed problems w/the Alert Unit (red light) which is mounted (w/Velcro) just to the left of my RV Radio. I also use my laptop w/DeLorme map/GPS, laying on the center console. The alert unit has been intermittant; works sometimes, others not. The BB itself works (brakes) ok. Near the end of my last trip I turned off the laptop; then noticed the BB Alert Unit working ok. I now surmise EMI from the laptop may block BB's Alert Unit signals. Am asking for comments from you electron wizards. Thx!

PS: Current laptop is a 1 yr old Toshiba (Win XP). Did not notice problems w/my older Dell (Win 98).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 09-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thudman, I have the Blue-Ox, Apollo with a 2yr.old Toshiba and Delorme/GPS. Have not had
a problem as which you speak.BUT did notice
when I got the Blue-Ox, that both 12volt wires
that went to the recever and transmitter,LOOSE!
Thats the wires that go into the body of the
units. I took them both apart and put some electrical tape on the wires to build them up, so they would have some string relief.
Dont know if this is you problem,but would
look there first, since it was intermitting!
coopcolt
Old 09-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thanks. Good info & much appreciated. I'll have a look at those wires.

Thudman

Old 09-13-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,
My BB alert stopped working so I called BB. They asked me if I was using the wire connector for the sending unit on the BB. I said I was and I placed the sending unit over my visor. The tech told me to unplug the wire and plug the sending unit directly into the BB. Bingo! problem solved. I spoke to the head guy fromm BB at the recent FMCA rally in Minot and he said to not worry with replacing the wire, just leave the unit plugged into the BB in the car. My unit is about 3 yrs old and the wire failed about a year ago, so I have been running it direct ever since with no problems, matter of fact it is easier to hook up now since the unit stays plugged into the BB. My alert receiver in the RV plugs directly into the lighter socket on the dash. Is yours different?
Hope that helps.
SeaRay
Old 09-14-2005, 02:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

SeaRay thx, but not sure I understand your post. My sending unit has 2 wires, about 24 inches long. I plug them into the BB. Do you have extra (extension) wires? I do not. My wires are long 'nuf to put my sending unit (w/antenna) on a piece of Velcro & paste it to the left corner of my dashboard. I've checked those RCA-type connectors & they seem ok. The receiver is plugged into my lighter socket & I make sure the small red monitor light (at the socket) remains On.

I've called BB Techs a few times & they tell me to push the BB Test button & see if the Alert light comes On (using two people). Of course it always does (any time a test is run or a Tech is present). The second person is there only as a manufacturer's witness that I'm nuts.

Thudman

Old 09-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thudman,
Sorry for the late reply, been out of service for a week or two. The 24" wires for your sending unit are what was bad on mine. They plug into the sending unit as well as the BB on my unit. I was told by the BB tech to unplug the wire from the sending unit and plug the sending unit directly into the BB. It was male and female RCA plugs so it worked. That eliminated my problemm and the sending unit sits directly on the BB. Maybe your sending unit is different from mine. Are the wires intergal to the sending unit? If so then what I did won't workk for you.
SeaRay
Old 09-23-2005, 01:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thudman, I found my BB alert module in the coach to be internittent just like yours. But what I learned was that it didn't like to stay seated (plugged in snugly) in the lighter socket. Apparently going down the highway, the unit has enough weight to vibrate itself out of a good connection at the lighter socket. I bought an cig. lighter extension cord from Radio Shack & solved the problem.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:53 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

My Sending Unit has 2 wires, hard wired to it; the other ends of the 24 inch wires connect to BB w/RCA plugs.

My cigarette lighter plug red monitor lite stays On; but the wire on the plug assy to the remote alert monitor might be the culprit. Seemed a bit loose at the base of the cigarette plug. Am now parked til another hurricane comes to Destin, or gas goes down to 1.25/gallon, so cannot try BB for a while.

Thudman