Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I'm wondering if anyone has a Blue Ox Underskirt or Protect-a-Tow that attaches to a Honda CRV. I have a 2007 Honda CRV and would like to know if the attachment eye hooks are attached to the plastic under the Honda or If an accessory bar with the eye hooks was attached under the Honda. If you have a CRV, how do you attach the Underskirt to the Honda?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I'm wondering if anyone has a Blue Ox Underskirt or Protect-a-Tow that attaches to a Honda CRV. I have a 2007 Honda CRV and would like to know if the attachment eye hooks are attached to the plastic under the Honda or If an accessory bar with the eye hooks was attached under the Honda. If you have a CRV, how do you attach the Underskirt to the Honda?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would be interested to hear how many minutes does it take to hook up the unit and I am assuming that it stays hooked up on the coach and unhooks from the toad when not in use. Is this correct?
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I believe it is removed when unhitching and stored. I suppose it could be laid at the back or rolled up and bungeed at the back of the motorhome.
Never thought about that. Another step or nuisance to go through.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I use one with my '06 CR_V. I have attached the underskirt to the back end of the motor home, and use a ball bungee wedged in the protective panel under the motor, and use two cord type bungees and attach to fender wells. Take maybe two minutes to unroll and attach.

It stays permanently attached to the motor home. We roll it up and bungee it to the tail lights of the motor home. The tail lights are 92 Camry, and there is an opening where we can hook the bungees.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Jerry. I don't have a CRV but use it on my Suzuki. The Eye hooks attach to plastic under the bumper. You can hardly seen them. Try and space them as far apart as posible for more protection.

It takes me 2 minutes to hook up and same to unhook. To save you roll it up and put it in it's carry bag. It's very easy.

I've had mine for 4 years including a trip to Alaska and was worth every penny.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Tom & Mike, Thanks for the report back on your experiences. Just what I was hoping for.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:55 AM   #8
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindsay Richards:
I would be interested to hear how many minutes does it take to hook up the unit and I am assuming that it stays hooked up on the coach and unhooks from the toad when not in use. Is this correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a Protect-A-Tow and I remove it entirely from the motorhome and toad and fold it for storage. It only takes about 2 minutes to attach or remove. There are 6 clips and a spreader bar.

There is a protective skirt that attaches to the back of the motorhome and unrolls. Click HERE for a link. I don't know how well it works or how much faster it is to deploy, but it costs about 2X what the Protect-A-Tow costs.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a Protect-A-Tow and I remove it entirely from the motorhome and toad and fold it for storage. It only takes about 2 minutes to attach or remove. There are 6 clips and a spreader bar.
Does the spreader bar over the top middle rub or catch on the towbar? Any problems?

There is a protective skirt that attaches to the back of the motorhome and unrolls. Click HERE for a link. I don't know how well it works or how much faster it is to deploy, but it costs about 2X what the Protect-A-Tow costs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pricey. I wonder about rolling up with the grit on the skirt. I'm still leaning toward a Blue Ox Underskirt.
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:34 AM   #10
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry J:
I'm still leaning toward a Blue Ox Underskirt.
Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jerry, Blue Ox doesn't make the RV Underskirt anymore. Our Protect-A-Tow is frayed and worn and I was thinking of replacing it with the RV Underskirt because the Underskirt is available in several sizes. The Protect-A-Tow is a little short for our application because we use a drop receiver and that adds to the overall length of the tow bar setup.

Although I ended up deciding to try to make my own replacement skirt since I already have all the hardware, I did find a source for the RV Underskirt HERE. I didn't check with them, but they apparently have the Underskirt in stock. Either someone is still making the Underskirt or this is where all the old stock went to be sold off.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Was just browsing the formum and saw this post.

I have a Protect A Tow on a 2007 CRV and attached it to the factory installed holdowns at the front of the CRV---took an extra clip type hook like the one on the Protect A Tow but the next size larger. Works great and did not have to drill car and install the eye.

Good Luck and Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:20 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a Protect A Tow on a 2007 CRV and attached it to the factory installed holdowns at the front of the CRV---took an extra clip type hook like the one on the Protect A Tow but the next size larger. Works great and did not have to drill car and install the eye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lash
Sounds good! What size is the CRV end? 5' wide? I was wondering if the Honda end should be 5' or 6' wide.
I haven't decided whether I will get a Blue Ox Underskirt or a Protect-a-Tow. I can get a Blue Ox 8x5x5 from a close dealer, their last one, but they want $175. Protect-a-Tow I believe is $199 plus shipping. They look very much alike.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry J:
Lash
Sounds good! What size is the CRV end? 5' wide? I was wondering if the Honda end should be 5' or 6' wide.
I haven't decided whether I will get a Blue Ox Underskirt or a Protect-a-Tow. I can get a Blue Ox 8x5x5 from a close dealer, their last one, but they want $175. Protect-a-Tow I believe is $199 plus shipping. They look very much alike. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I believe 5' at the toad end was the widest RV Underskirt made. They had one 4' long X 4' wide, 4' long X 5' wide, 5' long X 5' wide, and 6' long X 5' wide. All are 8' wide at the motorhome end.

Most standard tow bars will need the 5' length. Small cars only need to be 4' wide, while SUVs like your CR-V need 5' wide.

Our Protect-A-Tow is only about 52" wide at the toad end, and I feel it is too narrow for our Saturn Vue.

The price of $175 sounds fair for the RV Underskirt, especially since you won't have to pay shipping. Of course, you will probably have to pay sales tax if you buy locally; but I think Protect-A-Tow wants $23 for shipping, which will probably be a little more than the tax.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lash:
Was just browsing the formum and saw this post.

I have a Protect A Tow on a 2007 CRV and attached it to the factory installed holdowns at the front of the CRV---took an extra clip type hook like the one on the Protect A Tow but the next size larger. Works great and did not have to drill car and install the eye.

Lash
We need pics if possible. We are still debating what to do about towing our CRV.

Good Luck and Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

I did the same install as blucrabbie on the install and it works great.

As for pics, do not have any to share at this time as the motorhome is now garaged for a couple of months.

As far as the install goes, towed from Houston to California and back and the Protect A Tow worked great with this configuration. Wally World or Home Depot has the clips needed and they are relatively cost effective and easy to install.

Regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have a Roadmaster All Terrain with the Tow Defender. It's a blanket type shield the goes over the top of the tow bar and attaches to the brackets on the front of the Toad. About a 30 second hookup if I goof off.