Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Advice for toad

I just sold my 27ft. TT and bought an Itasca Suntstar 27N motorhome as I am retiring soon. However, I will use my MH to travel to present workshops for parts of the next two summers - then only for leisure. I am very conflicted about towing a car - one benefit of a MH is NOT towing and being self-contained! That's a big reason why 27ft! Also, it seems that there are very few automatic transmission cars that can tow 4 down. Is it hard to put a car on/off a dolly? Since I am single lady and will have a new Subaru Forrester where I move (for snow and ice) is it even feasible to get an inexpensive used small car to tow? And what would work? Help? Any recommendations?
Linda0425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.

My B-in-L towed a Pontiac G-4 automatic , four down when he had a coach ' I'll talk to him and get the year , although there may be very few of those around in good condition now .

Keep this web address handy ; you can input info on any car your considering for info on what's required, to tow 4 down if possible.

Store : Remco
Old 04-25-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

For us a toad us a must. Can't imagine trying to get the motorhome around the shopping and site seeing we do. Even if just 27'.

And four down towing is the way to go, imho. Handing, stowing, moving around a tow dolly or trailer is way too much hassle.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We flat tow a 2015 Chevrolet Malibu. It's a relatively small car and tows easy. Hooking it up and unhooking is quite easy as well.

You can go to this URL to find a listing for all supported flat tow vehicles and specific requirements for safely towing. Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0425 View Post
I just sold my 27ft. TT and bought an Itasca Suntstar 27N motorhome as I am retiring soon. However, I will use my MH to travel to present workshops for parts of the next two summers - then only for leisure. I am very conflicted about towing a car - one benefit of a MH is NOT towing and being self-contained! That's a big reason why 27ft! Also, it seems that there are very few automatic transmission cars that can tow 4 down. Is it hard to put a car on/off a dolly? Since I am single lady and will have a new Subaru Forrester where I move (for snow and ice) is it even feasible to get an inexpensive used small car to tow? And what would work? Help? Any recommendations?
A good recommendation for you would be the Honda CRV. They were flat towable all the way up to the year 2015. Honda changed styles of automatic transmissions in '15 so, the rendered the CRV not flat towable. But, any year 2014 and lower is flat towable. The CRV was one of the most popular "toads" for years and years. I have no idea what the prices are like now but, it's something to consider. Now, you mentioned the fact that having a shorter motor home is a reason for not having a toad.
Well, trying to park a 27' motor home in the average grocery store parking lot is no small feat. Just cruising around in general city traffic and doing small errands would be a pain. Then, there's always a chance of a BREAKDOWN! In the event something should go wrong with the coach, you're STUCK without a toad to get around in while the m/h is being repaired.

And that repair, can take a short time or, even a week or more. Then what? While you may find it a bit of a pain to tow a small car etc. and even a tad bit more of an expense but, the inconvienience of even ONE TIME in a broke down motor home situation, and not having a toad, is a real pain in the patoot. I'd surely think about your plans.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We tow a Ford Edge and it works fine.

Hope that helps!
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:35 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Look for a Jeep Liberty 4x4, they are all Flat Towable. Most of the Jeep lineup is Flat Towable; Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler Unlimited. The key is they most have a transfer case that is able to be disconnected; Cherokee must have Active Drive II, the Grand Cherokee must have the button(pin hole) "N" on the Transfer case.
A lot of the GM/Chevorlet/Oldsmobile SUV's are also flat Towable, you must look in the Owners manual under Recreational Towing not matter what you get.
Almost any of these models could replace your Subaru for winter driving. All you need to do is have winter tires vise the usual summer street tires.
Oh, yeah the used Jeep Liberty 4x4 could also replace the Subaru as a daily driver.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a Ford Cmax that we flat tow. It is an energy which means that it is a plug in electric and gas car. It tows very well, can go up to 20 miles on electric and the gas mileage is great.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0425 View Post
Hi, Terry and Barbara here. We did basically the same thing trading up from a small diesel Thor to the Sunstar 27N. I decided to keep my 2012 Fiat 500. It is a standard shift, but very very easy to tow. I just hook it up, put it is neutral, take the key out and I am ready to tow. You simply don't know it is behind you. I liked it so much that when hail damage totaled it last year near the Devil's Tower in Wyoming I replaced it with the 2018 Fiat 500. It is a lot of fun to drive. All the Fiat 500s are now turbocharged. Great little car.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hello Linda0425

Sinder already mentioned this dingy guide. Downloadable Dinghy Towing Guides | MotorHome Magazine Here is my experience. I purchased the Ford C Max as my toad. I had planned on towing 4 down, but have changed my mind. I just purchased a tow dolly because it was cheaper than the equipment to tow 4 down. I watched some videos on youtube about installing the base plate and there was some modifications to the C Max I did not want to do at this time. I may add the equipment at a latter date to tow 4 down, but for now I will tow front up on a tow dolly.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

I think you'll find a lot here, just page through the postings and you'll find some toad vs. no-toad discussions as well as vehicle-specific posts:

Toads and Motorhome Related Towing - iRV2 Forums

I think you'll find that most Class A owners will opt for a toad but many don't. And, the vast majority prefer 4-down. A lot depends on the nature of your trips. For example, your workshop trips might be conducive to not having a toad. Depending on the location, renting a car, Uber or even a bicycle may meet your needs.

When you're traveling for leisure, size-wise you're not too big to go toadless but it's still going to be a hassle to put everything away, disconnect from your services and drive to the store or to go sight-seeing. If, on the other hand, your travel-style (other than the workshops) is drive, sight-see, stop for the night, drive, sight-see, stop for the night, etc. you might be OK without a toad.

Try a couple of trips and see what you think. As others have indicated there are many options for a relatively inexpensive automatic toad that can be flat-towed. You may even be able to find one that's already equipped.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

First consideration is whether it is 4 wheel down tow able. Don't rely blindly on the dingy guide. Download a copy of the owner's manual for the vehicle you are interested in and check the Recreation Vehicle towing section of the manual.

The second is the curb weight. I would love to have a Lincoln for a toad but it would exceed my allowable GCWR rating.

BTW, a Saturn Vue is a good choice for a toad.

Plan on spending about $2,500 for the equipment to prepare your vehicle for towing. If you can do your own base plate installation the cost will be less.

Here's a site that lists used toads for sale:

https://www.rvt.com/New-and-Used-Tow...0Behind%20Cars

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:17 PM   #13
2018 Intent 26M Owner

See the posts under Chevy Equinox as Toad...every year since 2010 is towable with automatic and only three very easy steps to do so on older models and newer models is simply put in Neutral and go.. I purchased 2010 and have ready to go and very happy. Today I had the tires rotated and front and rear ends aligned.
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran RV Owner

We tow a 2018 Ford Explorer 4x4 Platinum using Blue Ox tow gear. No dollies to worry about. Hitching and unhitching the toad is relatively easy and takes about 10 minutes each time.

Regardless of what is said in the Motorhome Magazine Annual Tow Guide, and you are buying a new vehicle, make the salesperson show you in the owners manual where it says the vehicle can be towed behind an RV.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We went from a fifth wheel to a motorhome and our decision process was based upon issues of driving a long bed dually pickup truck as our sightseeing vehicle. So we started our thinking with the toad issue before even looking at the motorhome side. We arrived at the Jeep Wrangler as ideal for us. Mountain trails or beach roads and everything in the middle, it's perfect. For me the fun of driving is more important than convenience but with the Wrangler we got both: it's very easy to manage as a toad or as an adventure vehicle, or grocery getter.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, toad