Old 11-06-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

acceleration problems with m.d. 3.0 diesel

am I the only owner with acceleration and lack of power.

2019 view, with the 3.0 diesel, only miles 7000 on it.

in colorado and wyoming and actually even in the flat states this rig does not have good top end performance.

had it to the merecedes dealer got it checked out nothing wrong with it from their point of view.

how are we supposed to be able to tow 5000 pounds at highway speeds, I'm not even sure it would at lower speeds.

ok so yeah I know the altitude effects the performance buy come on,,,

is there a fix, a switch anything we can do to help this thing out, short of some after market rebuild bs.

what do merecedes owners out west do to remedy this?

we love the truck otherwise,

thanks
Luther
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

'xcuse us' ..... What do you mean by lack of power? What are your expectations? Mother Benz says everything is copacetic.... right?

In our experience (we don't tow but refer to others who say they don't have a problem) the OM-642 3.0L V6 turbo with a 5 speed automagic box does just fine regardless of altitude. The engine is (borrowing from aviation) "turbo normalized" meaning it will produce the same power at altitude as sea level. They do not suffer appreciably (maybe not at all) from altitude sickness. The newer auto box with close ratios should be even better.

Ours will maintain highway speeds in about 95% of the situations. Regardless of the engine or drive train, any 10,000 lb plus vehicle they will slow down on hills if the grade is steep enough. Ever try running up a steep hill?

Most of the time, I can set our 2014's cruise at 63/65 on the flat and just cruises along. Sure, I get passed by some smug yokel in a big, fat class A pulling horse trailer full of goats doing many knots. Come to a grade and the Benz will slowly reel them in like a fish on the line. Little by little you catch them. They are gasping for air and leaving a trail of smoke like a WW2 destroyer laying a smoke screen. A little steeper grade and we just pass them (usually with out a down shift) maintaining the cruise setting. No noise. No drama.

We always wave to the distraught driver trying to coax his beast up the grade. As we go by we yell...."Ultimate driving machine, eh?"

So.... what kind of performance were you expecting???
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm with Old Crows on this. I live at 4500 ft and I'm always going up or down in elevation no matter where I go. No problems maintaining highway speeds towing my car. Yes, I do have to downshift when climbing or descending mountains. And while I can't maintain 65 mph when climbing, I do pass the trucks.

BTW, your towing limit is 4200 lbs, but your hitch is rated at 5000 lbs.

So why don't you share with us how fast you expect to drive, how much you tow, and what you expect for acceleration.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ems, problems