Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

acceleration problems with m.d. 3.0 diesel

am I the only owner with acceleration and lack of power.

2019 view, with the 3.0 diesel, only miles 7000 on it.

in colorado and wyoming and actually even in the flat states this rig does not have good top end performance.

had it to the merecedes dealer got it checked out nothing wrong with it from their point of view.

how are we supposed to be able to tow 5000 pounds at highway speeds, I'm not even sure it would at lower speeds.

ok so yeah I know the altitude effects the performance buy come on,,,

is there a fix, a switch anything we can do to help this thing out, short of some after market rebuild bs.

what do merecedes owners out west do to remedy this?

we love the truck otherwise,

thanks
Luther
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

'xcuse us' ..... What do you mean by lack of power? What are your expectations? Mother Benz says everything is copacetic.... right?

In our experience (we don't tow but refer to others who say they don't have a problem) the OM-642 3.0L V6 turbo with a 5 speed automagic box does just fine regardless of altitude. The engine is (borrowing from aviation) "turbo normalized" meaning it will produce the same power at altitude as sea level. They do not suffer appreciably (maybe not at all) from altitude sickness. The newer auto box with close ratios should be even better.

Ours will maintain highway speeds in about 95% of the situations. Regardless of the engine or drive train, any 10,000 lb plus vehicle they will slow down on hills if the grade is steep enough. Ever try running up a steep hill?

Most of the time, I can set our 2014's cruise at 63/65 on the flat and just cruises along. Sure, I get passed by some smug yokel in a big, fat class A pulling horse trailer full of goats doing many knots. Come to a grade and the Benz will slowly reel them in like a fish on the line. Little by little you catch them. They are gasping for air and leaving a trail of smoke like a WW2 destroyer laying a smoke screen. A little steeper grade and we just pass them (usually with out a down shift) maintaining the cruise setting. No noise. No drama.

We always wave to the distraught driver trying to coax his beast up the grade. As we go by we yell...."Ultimate driving machine, eh?"

So.... what kind of performance were you expecting???
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm with Old Crows on this. I live at 4500 ft and I'm always going up or down in elevation no matter where I go. No problems maintaining highway speeds towing my car. Yes, I do have to downshift when climbing or descending mountains. And while I can't maintain 65 mph when climbing, I do pass the trucks.

BTW, your towing limit is 4200 lbs, but your hitch is rated at 5000 lbs.

So why don't you share with us how fast you expect to drive, how much you tow, and what you expect for acceleration.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My buddy says he has this issue when he occasionally has to fill up with biodiesel...otherwise he's towed his 4200lb Jeep across country 6 times so far without complaints about power or acceleration.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Lol. We happen to be one of those yokels with a big fat class a diesel pusher 40' with an 8.9L engine. However, we can leave it on cruise as we climb hills...
Old 11-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1574295033322.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	172440  
Old 11-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

EGR ? Maybe.
winniethepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Floor mats?

I just bought a 2017 View 24V. I thought that it was weak on top end power too. I had recently bought a Weathertech floor mat. I realized that the floor mat was keeping the accelerator pedal from going all the way down. I cut a 2” notch in the floor mat and noticed a difference.
I then noticed that the Winnebago floor mat was doing the same thing. Cut another 2” notch. Acceleration was better still. Taking a road trip this Friday. Hoping for good results.

Jerry
2017V24V
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Lol. We happen to be one of those yokels with a big fat class a diesel pusher 40' with an 8.9L engine. However, we can leave it on cruise as we climb hills...

On those hills I will yield and hug the right lane, Sir! Just honk when you go by.....

And, if necessary, I'll weather vane behind your 40 footer to improve your aerodynamics and may provide an encouraging nudge to assist your climb.....
Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'll be in the right lane too unless I approach your rig , then I'm passing as not to turn off my cruise. You probably don't want me to hit my horn since I leave the air on. I don't want to scare you.......
Old 11-21-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Old 11-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

It's fun to have friendly banter every now and then....
Old 11-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Crows are intelligent. Jokers.... but not tricksters like coyote..... we don't take ourselves too seriously..... we bring good luck. Often confused with cousin Raven

Native American Crow Mythology

Many people are under the mistaken impression that crows were viewed as harbingers of death in Native American cultures, but in fact, that is not true at all. We do not know of any Native American tribe in which crows were seen as omens of death. Indeed, just the opposite, seeing a crow was (and still is!) considered good luck by many tribes. It is true that crows will eat carrion, but so do many other animals not typically associated with the dead such as bald eagles, bears, etc. In Native American folklore, the intelligence of crows is usually portrayed as their most important feature. In some tribes, the crow is conflated with the raven, a larger cousin of the crow that shares many of the same characteristics.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

My acceleration is great, 0-60 in about a minute. Ah, I don't really know, I never timed it. I know that we will never get snapped back into the seats from acceleration, but it still cruises just great 55-65.

And on rare occasions, very rare, it will hit past the 80 mark when there is just no other way to get around a confounding slower (most of the time, except when passing) vehicle. I know that many of you know exactly what I am talking about.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I purchased a 2010 Itasca Navion (2008 chasis) with the 3.0 diesel in July. When I test drove it, I thought it was sluggish getting up to 70 mph. I had it serviced at the Freightliner dealer in Tampa, and they did replace a leaky hose on the turbo, but this did not make any significant difference.

We drove it for most of September, from Florida to New York and Canada. What I learned is that the motorhome is a lot of weight for that one hundred fifty something hp engine to haul around, especially in the mountains. We now set the cruise control to 62 or 63 mph and enjoyed the ride. Everything was smoother and less stressful at that speed, and we got much better fuel economy.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #16
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
I just bought a 2017 View 24V. I thought that it was weak on top end power too. I had recently bought a Weathertech floor mat. I realized that the floor mat was keeping the accelerator pedal from going all the way down. I cut a 2” notch in the floor mat and noticed a difference.
I then noticed that the Winnebago floor mat was doing the same thing. Cut another 2” notch. Acceleration was better still. Taking a road trip this Friday. Hoping for good results.

Jerry
2017V24V
I have a 2019 24V and have the exact same experience. I didn't have to cut either mat. I discovered that they simply weren't properly positioned corretly. I pulled the factory pad back towards the drivers seat then the Weathertech mat followed.
I have plently of clearance now. I also discovered that the accelerator is simply a plastic sending unit - no hard cables. This may have been the design with MBS for years but I had no clue it was anything but a pedal to cable.

The first leg of my 700 mile trip I expereinced what I thought was lack of response from the accelerator. Our 24V was fully loaded and towing a 3400 pound car on a tow dolly. Since correcting the issue with the floor mat I haven't expereinced any issue with lack of power.
We just returned from a recent trip to Pigeon Forge which took us through Chattanooga. We encountered some significant grades but the MBS pushed through them without a problem.

Bobby
Old 02-03-2020, 11:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Hi, little late to the party with the reply but for who's interested, re the OM642.

We have a Winnebago setup and pulling with an OM642 in a GLE350d, I'm guessing my total weight is similar to having an RV setup (around 11000LBS)

The OM642 in my GLE is rated 249HP with 455LBS of Torque.

This engine is extremely capable of moving that kind of weight, if I step on it the whole setup moves waaaay faster then I'll ever need it to do.

In terms of engines, you'll not find a better tow motor.

If you have lack of power, there's something wrong unless Merc intentionally de-rated the RV engines.

(Pulling 2108FBS)
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, ems, problems