Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2018 view with carefree travel'r awning problems

2018 view 24V with 19' carefree travel'r awning. cannot get the awning to open. It goes out about one revolution and folds right back up. Manual says to work it several times as the awning might stick to the cover. Met another 2018 view owner on the beach in Florida and he had the same issue. Any one out there with the same issue and have been successfull in repair.
gary6721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It only looks like it trying to rollup on itself, but it isn't. Hold the extend switch down and let in unfurl completely. The arms will cause it to roll out as it should. It might look funny the first few times but you will get used to it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
It only looks like it trying to rollup on itself, but it isn't. Hold the extend switch down and let in unfurl completely. The arms will cause it to roll out as it should. It might look funny the first few times but you will get used to it.
Thank you for the reply. When I continue to hold the out button the awning goes out about one revolution then roles back into the closed position. I have tried as you suggested and continue to hold the out button for an extended length of time and nothing happens after the awning rewinds itself back into the closed position.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:53 AM   #4

Same problem

I have the same problem in my 2018 View 24J. We bought it in November and the awning has been working fine until this week. The awning tries to extend, but just rolls back up again, even when holding the "Out" switch. I'm going to call either Winnebago customer service or the local (Fayetteville, NC) Carefree service rep to troubleshoot the problem. Will also be monitoring this thread and let you know if there is a good solution vs replacement.
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Were you able to get this resolved. I took mine to Campingworld still under warranty. Service department made the necessary adjustments. Said it was to dangerous and would not show me how to fix it on my own.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #6

Thanks for the update, Gary. I haven't had a chance to get my awning checked yet because we are living in the rig while we renovate an old house we just bought. Hope to get an appointment at the Fayetteville / Hope Mills (NC) Camping World by the end of June to check out the awning and replace the bedroom shade that became "unsprung" and disintegrated when we pulled it down. Have a couple of other minor warranty issues to boot. Glad your awning is fixed. Did they at least give you an idea why it failed?
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

carefree still will not snug up when retracted. Fourth trip to camper world third call to carefree. Carefree says if material is not square this is the last option. Replace unit, so it is back at Camperworld. I told them that carefree and they had exhausted all options it is time to replace the awning. I will let you know the outcome. It should be noted that the tensioner are not needed on a 16’ awning as we have on our Views. They actually made things worse when installed. Evidently the 19’ models needtensioners to lift the shroud since it might sag on the 19’ model and since the 16’ model we have does not sag we do not need the tensioners. The box that the tensioners come in actually says for 19’.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My awning rolled up the opposite direction the first time I put it out. It took me a few times until I figured out the system. I only knew I had a issue when I got it all the way up and it wouldn't stowe properly. If you notice there is a metal protective cover at the last 6's or so to protect the canvas material. Could that connection be getting caught and stop the fabric part from unrolling? Also unroll just a little and tug a bit and see if the fabric was put up wet and the material is sticking.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, ems, problems, travel