Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2002 Honda CRV add battery charger

I'd like to install the RVI Towed Battery Charger in my Honda CRV. (I've had dead battery issues because of the drain from my Delta Force brake system.) The umbilical connector is not accessible from the inside, how do I connect the charging wire?

I had an issue with my breakaway switch and the hitch dealer charged me for 3 hours labor said they had to remove the entire bumper to access it and bolt it back to the car. (Bolt fell out)

Trying to avoid a huge expense to do what looks like a relatively simple install.

(The '02 has been mostly trouble free, 96K plus about 100 towed miles. Amazing storage in the back. The recommended service at 100K is only replace spark plugs and brake fluid and inspect belts. Any other suggestions?)

Have considered buying a new Equinox but after reading multiple threads --better the devil I know than the one I don't!

https://rvibrake.com/
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My View had a 12vdc when the engine was running. I just used it and wired the receptacle on the toad for it. Added a inline fuse for protection to the battery while plugged in. Then made a plug using the battery maintainer in the garage. That way no lifting the hood to clip on the battery maintainer to protect the toad battery.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It might help if you were a bit more clear on the issue, maybe with a photo. I've puzzled over your comments and, at least in my experience, most of the receptacles for the "umbilical" cord can be unscrewed and removed from the front of the toad in order to access the back. Is this not the case with your's or am I mis-understanding your description?

Depending on how it was installed, you may have to remove the front, plastic fascia from your CRV in order to unscrew it. This is a pain but doable. This video may help:

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-...rv-bx2232.aspx

If you don't want to tackle the foregoing, you could tap into the 12V line at the receptacle on your motorhome and run a separate wire to your toad. I'd suggest using 1-way molded trailer connectors at both ends so you can plug into both your motorhome and toad, taping or wire-tying the wire to your umbilical cable. You'll need two sets, two males and two females. Here's an example of a 1-way connector:

https://www.delcity.net/store/1-Way-...kaAuDbEALw_wcB

Just make sure that you start at the MH with a fully protected female connector, male at the MH end of the connecting wire, female at the toad end of the connecting wire, and male at on the end of the wire going to the Towed battery charger. That way you never have an exposed hot pin.

Note that not all Winnies have a 12V charge wire going to the trailer connector so you may be in for additional work at the MH end. Check your wiring diagram at:

https://winnebagoind.com/diagram/Wiring.htm
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

This job turns out to be above my pay grade...appointment scheduled with Expert Truck and RV Service in Oronoco MN to get the job done. Will provide an update after the job is finished. Thanks for the referral (in another thread) to Expert and thanks to those who responded. Downloaded wiring diagram 31D and viewed etrailer video on taking my 2002 CRV apart and decided I better continue filling out 1040s for awhile.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

New revelation

In preparing for my appointment at Expert Truck and RV to have a charge line installed, I pulled the original invoice for the purchase and installation of my Delta Force brake system. Much to my surprise, on the invoice included a line item "installed charge line and hooked up to tail lights and tested all works fine". I didn't know or understand this when the system was installed a few years ago. Had trouble with battery drain on long trips, presumably because the Delta Force uses quite a bit of juice. Does the notation "hooked up to tail lights" mean the battery won't be drawing a charge from the RV unless the tail lights are on? Can't find any indication on the 31D wiring diagram that there is power in back of the RV so did the tech tie it into the tail lights? Called dealer and spoke to 2 different techs, they really don't seem to grasp the issue. Still planning to go my appointment at Expert to have them check everything out and potentially run a separate line from the truck battery to the back. Since 95% of my driving is during the daylight, I don't usually run with my tail lights on.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

On my 06 CR-V they installed two additional tail/turn/brake lights and those are powered by the MH. The battery drain is from the ignition being on (so the steering wheel does not lock), so turning off any accessories like the radio is a good idea. The Delta Force uses the toad's battery, so I connected a wire from a hot lead (separate or taillights if you drive with the taillights in the MH on) to the toad's battery. 10 amp fuse is installed in-line. Are you sure there is not an extra wire with a fuse going to the toad's battery? If there is one, try always running with the MH's parking lights ON to power that wire in case it is connected to the taillight wire. A volt meter might help if you are checking when the MH's battery is charged and the toad's is low.

A 7 wire connector came installed by the hitch receiver on the MH and the installer put an identical connector on the front of the toad. So the umbilical bundle of wires can be disconnected from both ends and stored elsewhere.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Am running with RV running lights on...problem solved. As an aside, we had a problem with our Delta Force system last Fall '18... it started locking up and couldn't be adjusted to work right. Discontinued use until I could contact them this Spring They provided great customer service and replaced the entire unit at no charge. Works great now and with running lights on in the RV, no battery issues.

Tags
battery