Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winslow, AZ

Hi All.

We are currently camped just south of Sedona, AZ and will be leaving in a few days. The route down from Flagstaff on I-17 was a bit of a thrill ride at 4-6% down grades for 18 miles and I wasn't as excited about going back the same route. As an alternative we explored by car a 2 lane route from Camp Verde to Winslow via Rt 87, and would pick up I-40 east from there. The grades were far less than 6% and a far more pleasant ride through the Cocoino National Forest. I was pleased with this as an alternate route back to I-40 until we got into Winslow. There is a deep railroad underpass on Rt 87 just before downtown Winslow. The posted clearance is 13'6" but I am more concerned with the roads entrance and exit angles to and from the flat under the rail pass itself. As I went through with the car I thought I would be OK with the coach, but now I'm second guessing myself. We've got a '06 36' Winnebago Journey that had a factory clearance to the air horns of 11'7". Since then a satellite dome was installed and vent covers. I've mentally added 12" to my factory clearance, but never actually measured it. I'm reasonably sure I'm 12'7" or less which would give me nearly a foot to spare on clearance, but the road angles have me concerned about possibly bottoming out in the rear as I went through.

So here's my question: Has anyone ventured through this underpass with their class A and did it without any issues or concerns?
Thanks, Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It is prudent to have an accurate height of the unit you are driving. Simply measure the height of your rig + tallest item on roof.

Semi trailers are quite often 13' 6" and 53' long (just the trailer). Most bridges are marked with a couple inches grace. I would not hesitate to take a 12' 7" MH 40' long under a bridge marked 13' 6".

I have not gone under the exact bridge in question and I am not giving you permission to do the same. I have however gone under plenty marked 13' 6" with my MH which is 12' 6". Viewing a 13' 6" bridge from a distance as you approach should be reason to start slowing down. Upon upon getting close enough to a span, to read signage clearly marked as one foot higher than the vehicle I am driving, I personally motor on through.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I use "Allstays Low Clearance" App which can be downloaded from Apple Store.
View Low Clearance in the App Store
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Before you get to the underpass I am sure you can procede west and access old route 66 a few blocks west - I am trying to get Winslow on maps and will reply again shortly although the railroad crossings need to be done with caution as the BNSF rail traffic is quite brisk -
dwaldow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

The sign says 14'6", but the bridge has been hit a few times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winslow.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	59987  
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Winslow Underpass

We drive through the underpass several times a year, including this past year. We have pulled a fifth wheel and a toy hauler through there may times.

We drive our 2004 38 foot Dutch Star through the underpass several times a year, both with car attached and without the car. We have never had any trouble at all! If you wait until the traffic is sparse it will be less traumatic.

You must watch out for speed limit signs in Winslow. They mean it when they say 25 MPH!
Bobontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If you're looking at using 260 to get to 87 in Payson, I would rethink that route. We just went through there and it's narrow with at least one 20 MPH curve. We left the motorhome on our site in Show Low and took the Jeep home to Prescott. 87 wasn't too terrible, but 260 isn't a road I would pick as an alternate to I-17.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

If you are taking 260 from Camp Verde to Winslow you don't go to Payson. You turn North on 87 and head straight to Winslow.

The highways in Northern Arizona are good training for mountain driving!
Bobontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the replies. I must have gotten that clearance number screwed up because even my wife said it was 14'6" and not the number I posted. I admit I was a bit shocked when I approached that underpass after such a beautiful ride through the forest and I thought about the entrance angles long after I went through the underpass with the car. Bob's post has put my mind to rest on that point and after looking at the posted pix of the underpass it doesn't seem as steep as my mind had remembered it. 260 from Camp Verde was not a bad ride, but most of it is a no pass zone which can upset those behind me during the climbs. There were grades and curves that were very navigable in a motorhome because for a while, I was behind a Mountain Air towing a dolly, but no car was on the dolly. It was a gas model and while he was justifiably traveling slower than the posted limit (an insane 55 if I recall) , he didn't seem to be struggling on the grades. They are far more tame than those on 17 north of Sedona. There are 2 or 3 areas along 260 where passing lanes become available for short distances, so that should shorten the parade I may lead for a while. Once on 87 I'll be home free as there is only one very short 6% grade, then most of that is done with. I will be traveling north on 87 from where 260 intersects with it, so Payson will have always been in my rear view mirror.

Thanks again to All:
Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote